Why I will never buy another TomTom

Has anyone else noticed that recently that TT customer service replies have gone to even more saccharine levels than normal? There definitely seems to be a different "house style" and it sounds to me like they have outsourced and/or gone down the Indian call-centre route.

This is what you get if you offer an opinion, it's similar if you have a problem

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is xyz and we are always happy to help.

I understand that you would like to give us a feedback. I can understand how important this could be for you.

Please rest assured that I will provide you complete assistance in this matter.

{insert name here}, I would like to inform you that I am forwarding your suggestion to the concerned team so that they can work on it and make TomTom more user friendly. We value your feedback and suggestions. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I hope the information provided by me was helpful. I appreciate your time and efforts in contacting us. Thank you for giving me an opportunity to assist you. If you have any queries regarding TomTom product please let us know. I will be glad to assist you. We value you as a customer and your complete satisfaction is our prime concern.

Or in other words, a huge amount of "guff" and no real substance.

TT customer service was always pretty poor but just adding heaps more verbiage doesn't improve it one bit!

Do remember that for phone calls, NA CS is different from yours in the UK. Whether the email responses all go to The Netherlands, I'm not sure but I kinda doubt it.

Ahh I've confused myself now...:lol:

I obviously don't get to call CS myself much, so I'm only going by the quotes I see on the forums, and it might be that all the ones like that were from here rather than a European forum...

So is that example I posted above the sort of reply you always get in NA?

I don't know. I don't deal with them. Especially when I would get email notifications from them about issues 'I' had raised that they associated with my account and these issues were NEVER filed by me whatsoever! :eek:

If I were you, bearing with those frustrations, I just simply smashed the gps unit by using the hammer, and never buy it again.
I just wonder why you post your letter here? I don't think any one of us working for Tomtom and certainly none of us is Tomtom President or CEO. Why here? Why don't just say "Tomtom sucks" and walk away from it.
You seem like wanting the President read your email, replied to you with an apology and offered you a new one or guarantee taking care of your issue 24x7 if you have any? C'mon.
I can add another frustration with TT. I spent a great deak of money (after doing much research) to invest in a unit that would meet my needs. I further invested in ancillary equipment to mount the unit on the dash of my vehicle, and disassembled/re-assembled the dash to install and hide the necessary cables and antennas to support my purchased TT unit. Now, a little more than two years later, they pull and walk away from the major component that led me to purchase in the first place.

Late last year I received notification that my Traffic subscription was about to expire, so I immediately purchased a renewal. Despite the renewal, in approx. 30 days my GO930 let me know my Traffic subscription had expired. I called in and was told that TomTom was having issues with RDS TMC Traffic, and they would refund my monies. I wasn't happy, as Traffic was one of the main reasons I purchased the pricey 930. TomTom did indicate they were working on a fix.

A few months later I followed up with TomTom and was told a new USB cigarette lighter version of the antenna would have to be used, replacing the original RDS TMC antenna. Concerned whether I'd be able to adapt the new antenna design with my existing dash mount, I ordered the new antenna. Upon arrival I followed instructions, but continued to receive the same message, stating my subscription had expired. Another call to TomTom, with lengthy holding times, and I was told it was a software issue, and that the new antenna would not work with the 930 AND there was no plan to provide a fix/replacement for the discontinued traffic. To make matters worse, it took TomTom two months to refund the money paid for the new product even though it was returned through their RMA process immediately. I can reiterate my frsutrations encountered, throughout this ordeal, with the "72-hours, automatic closure" process that TT relies on.

Every day I am painstakingly reminded of this issue as my GO930 continues to remind me that my Traffic subscription has expired, directing me to renew through TomTom Home; if only.......

Honestly, TomTom Maps are not very detail and ugly but the reason I have been using it all this while (almost 8yrs) is because the maps availability of many countries.

Further to that, *** have TomTom maps and Cook Rom for FREE so all I paid for all these years were just the hardware. Since*I*** has banned TomTom products on their forum I doubt I will be buying TomTom products anymore unless I can find another Free map source ..... lol !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely edited your post. Please look at the top of every forum regarding the announcement about warez sites, hacked software and hardware.

Any discussion of such items has no part here or on any legitimate forum. What you are doing is stealing, plain and simple.

Go elsewhere...........:mad:

Ask a Question