Why I will never buy another TomTom

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Although its been a few months, I though I'd post this letter I wrote to Jocelyn Vigreux, President of TomTomUSA, explaining the situation I had with TomTom and their EXCEPTIONALLY POOR quality control and customer service. FWIW, I received NO REPLY or RESPONSE from TomTom. None.

TomTom's features continue to beat the other GPS devices out there, but their customer service is so incredibly terrible I can't ever see buying another TomTom.

(Warning: This is a long post)

Dear Mr. Vigreux:

I?m writing to inform you of my extreme dissatisfaction with TomTom?both the quality of its products and its customer service. At this point it is highly unlikely that I will purchase another TomTom device nor will I recommend that others choose TomTom when deciding which GPS device they wish to own.

Before I tell you what has brought me to this opinion, let me first state that two years ago I bought the TomTom GO 720, my first GPS device, because of many attractive features offered by TomTom, and generally have been impressed by the continual release of enhancements that maintain the product?s attractiveness. The ability to customize map colors, voices, and icons and features such as MapShare, IQ Routes, Advanced Lane Guidance, and Traffic all combine to propel TomTom to the top of the GPS pile.
However, the value of these features is eliminated when one must constantly deal with bugs and other firmware and software problems, the apparent lack of quality control by TomTom for new features and map releases, and an inconsistent customer service experience that too often exacerbates the problem rather than resolves it. It is for these reasons that I am dissatisfied and for these reasons that my next GPS device will not be a TomTom.

The issue that sent me down this road to disgruntlement began with the release of the very troublesome and problematic map update issued in August of this year. I am confident you are already familiar with the issues of that release, especially for those of us who subscribe to the Traffic service.

Your customer service response to this issue was, frankly, erratic. The first response was that there ?must be a server update going on right now?. When it didn?t work the following day I was told TomTom was aware of the issue and would have a solution ?any day now?. When that timeframe passed and I complained that was not able to use a service I was paying for, the service organization offered a myriad of untested solutions that varied based on whom I spoke to and ranged from trying to reload an earlier version of the map, esoteric workarounds involving deletion of certain files on the device, and complete formatting and rebuilding of the unit. By the time all was said and done I had spent hours on the phone with TomTom and had a device that was completely non-functional. Problems with TomTom Home, space constraints on the device, and other issues compounded the problem to the point that the only solution was to return the unit to TomTom. Given the immense level of difficulty I was having, the fact that the unit was working fine until I followed the directions of your service staff, and the original cause of all the trouble?an apparent lack of adequate quality control over the map releases?TomTom offered to replace the unit without charge. At this point I was frazzled and disgruntled, but satisfied at the ultimate solution.

As you might expect, the issue did not stop there. After eight or so days without the TomTom, the refurbished unit arrived, but not with the most up-to-date map or application. Updating the device was not without issue. Continued problems with TomTom Home (failure to create the necessary folders) and space constraint issues that shouldn?t of occurred warranted further hours with customer service who tried, again, a myriad of solutions of solve the issue. In the process the ?death issue? occurred?the device would not restart after the new application was supposedly installed (it never actually made it on the device, thus rendering it useless). We tried shutting off other applications, tried loading Home on a PC rather than my iMac, and other attempts to fix this problem; your customer service team appeared to have little clue as to the cause of the issue or how to fix it and was clearly guessing at the solution, again with each ?guess? different depending on the representative I spoke to.

Again TomTom came to the conclusion that the unit needed to be replaced. This time, however, that answer was unsatisfactory. You had just sent me a replacement unit?why would I trust that a different one would yield any better results? Why should I be without my TomTom for another one to two weeks? I insisted on speaking with a supervisor, who listed politely to my rant, complaints about all I had dealt with, and my flat refusal to spend any more of my money to ship this unit back to you. He sympathized, offered to send me a pre-paid authorization, and stated that for all my trouble he would make sure I received a new?not refurbished?unit.

Another eight or so days passed from the time I shipped the unit to you until the time I received the replacement. I had now been without a fully functioning unit for over a month. I opened the box to find a refurbished unit?so much for the promise made by your customer service supervisor!

Confident that I would need to update this unit with the latest map and application, and expecting similar results as the last attempt, I decided I would do nothing without your customer support group on the phone walking me through each step. So, again, now having your support telephone number well memorized, I called customer support. ?I?d be happy to help you with this, but our servers are down. Can you call back tomorrow?? said the customer support representative.

Instead I wrote this letter.

I hope my point is understood. If not, allow me to reiterate the salient points:
? TomTom failed to perform adequate quality control with the August map update resulting in incompatibility with the Traffic service and resulting in the non-delivery of paid-for services.
? TomTom?s response to the issue was disjointed, inconsistent, uninformed, and ultimately did not solve the problem; instead attempted solutions caused additional issues and problems resulting in the complete inoperability of two separate units.
? TomTom failed to ensure that replacement units were updated with the most recent application and map, and attempts to update the device yielded the same device-killing results that the replacement unit was supposed to address.
? TomTom?s customer service attempted to appease the customer with promises that it failed to keep.

As a result of these and other issues I have been without a fully functioning GPS device for more than a month, and accordingly have not received services that I have subscribed to and paid for during that time.

Although I try to remain hopeful, I am far from confident that I will be able to update and operate the replacement device I now have in my possession and expect instead to be caught in this endless loop of incompetent solutions, lost time, and lack of appropriate resolution.

I am not requesting any particular response from you or reparations from TomTom, but instead leave it to your judgment as to what response, if any, is appropriate and warranted. However, a lack of response to this letter will cement my discontentment with TomTom and destroy any remaining possibility of me returning to the status of ?satisfied customer?. I hope that someone in your position would not wish to see such conclusion transpire.

Again, as stated, I received no acknowledgement, no response, nada.

Buyer beware.

If I were you, bearing with those frustrations, I just simply smashed the gps unit by using the hammer, and never buy it again.
I just wonder why you post your letter here? I don't think any one of us working for Tomtom and certainly none of us is Tomtom President or CEO. Why here? Why don't just say "Tomtom sucks" and walk away from it.
You seem like wanting the President read your email, replied to you with an apology and offered you a new one or guarantee taking care of your issue 24x7 if you have any? C'mon.

Oh, while normally venting isn't really what this site is all about, letting off a bit of steam is probably ok in this situation. It certainly seems warranted if the OP's facts are correct.

We'll keep an eye on it ......;)

"Why here? Why don't just say "TomTom sucks" and walk away from it."
:confused:
So what do you guys suggest and recommend to this unsatisfied TomTom customer?
I did not understand you perhaps of my bad English.
Did you encourage hem to sit in silence and wrote ugly words here and there?

Welcome to TTF.

The original poster had a bad experience, that is obvious. There is nothing we can do for him.

The nature of forums such as this is, understandably, many who never have issues or problems don't post here. So, a casual reader of threads might think all units leaving the factory have problems.

And that simply is not the case.

The nature of forums such as this is, understandably, many who never have issues or problems don't post here. So, a casual reader of threads might think all units leaving the factory have problems.

And that simply is not the case.

True, but in my dad's case they havent delt with the problems very well. Both times the replacements did not have all the stuff he needed loaded on and they had to email it (postcodes the first time, speed cameras the second time}.

Also 2 failures in a row is pretty poor.

"Why here? Why don't just say "TomTom sucks" and walk away from it."
:confused:
So what do you guys suggest and recommend to this unsatisfied TomTom customer?
I did not understand you perhaps of my bad English.
Did you encourage hem to sit in silence and wrote ugly words here and there?
hehehehe
yes, I think you didn't get my point here.
You asked "So what do you guys suggest and recommend to this unsatisfied TomTom customer?"
I did give my suggestion already, in case you missed, here it is again:
+ smash that little piece of junk
+ don't buy it again
+ walk away from it
+ don't even think about it
where "it" here simply means your trouble TT device.

Why keeping it when it just buys you frustration or headache?
Cursing it would not solve the problem.
If you're not happy with things, why not get rid of it 'cuz anytime you think about it, you get hot, get itchy of how that stupid little gps is, right? So, get rid of it if you cannot bear with it.

Hiding these bad experiences is not the answer. These people complaining are describing real, non-exaggerated experiences. By allowing TT to go without complaints only provides them with a new cash flow from new buyers and map updates for all the people who have them already.

This forum is the best place to post these bad experiences. I consulted this forum before buying a GPS. I didn't have a lot of cash then, and I sure can't just trash my TT for another brand.

I can only say I've ran into the same experience with TT service more than once. I feel hopelessly trapped with a product that does not perform, and I get little value, if any, for the money I pay for updates.

I would guess that all of you who praise TT just haven't ran into one of these roadblocks yet.

Who here is hiding anything?????

We aren't affiliated with TomTom in any way. Notice the word 'independent' at the bottom of the screen?

If TomTom software/hardware was so good, there wouldn't be a need for this or any other TomTom user forum, would there?

I'm not saying anyone is hiding anything. I was responding to those who say we shouldn't post negative experiences here, meaning we should hide things. I was saying I thought that this is the place to post all experiences, good or bad.

TT has a problem with their service department. I don't always think when I call them that I should get my way, but when one agent says one thing and to call back later, as described in my "Nightmare" post, and then the next agent says that the first agent is wrong in what they told me, the problem with their service department is pretty obvious.

The same situation I had keeps cropping up over and over.

Sorry, misunderstood.

While, on balance, CS in North America is reasonably good (you should hear the horror stories about UK CS and especially Aussie support), the fact is sometimes you're going to connect to nothing more than a 'script monkey' who doesn't listen to what you are saying and has no real interest is really coming up with a solution for you.

dhn,

I've always respected your posts here. They seem to be helpful almost all of the time. I only use my GPS on occasion, and only update when there has been drastic change in my local area. I'm in WV, so we don't get a lot of "new" roads. It seems that whenever I do update, I run into problems, whether it be maps or Home. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who always gets the monkey. I recently changed to a laptop with a newer version of Windows. The last update of Home on this laptop seemed to fix a problem I've been waiting for on for years, hoping TT's promise to fix it on the old OS would be honored.

TT really does have a major problem. I just don't know how to make them fix their service and quality issues.

Here's another little thing that bothers me about TT support. I just realized they sent me an email saying they hadn't heard from me in 72 hours, so the problem is marked as solved. This has happened before as well, even when I'm waiting for a response from them.

Solved, in their way of thinking, means if they don't answer my question in 72 hours, it must be fixed. What a joke.

I recently changed to a laptop with a newer version of Windows. The last update of Home on this laptop seemed to fix a problem I've been waiting for on for years...
Can you elaborate on this a bit? Since they don't ship different versions of Home for different Windows systems, I would have imagined that this update may well have dealt with the problem on your older machine as well. What was the issue?

I would guess that all of you who praise TT just haven't ran into one of these roadblocks yet.
I think that many of us have hit walls with one thing or another, but we strive to find ways around these issues both for the benefit of users here and our own personal interests. As an example, the most recent version of Home that was apparently good for you was a train wreck for some of the rest of us -- it forces firmware updates in order to get any updates at all -- some people actually need to stick with older firmware to avoid problems. A workaround was found for that, and while we were very dismayed at this new trick that Home was pulling, and the dismay was communicated directly to TomTom, don't think that it didn't cause a lot of folks some bad moments.

The point was, a solution was found in spite of TomTom's newly designed application. We're all sure they had their own reasons for doing what they did back in the NL, and I'm sure from their perspective, it was a good plan. But I will also tell you that at least some of the better Tech Support back in Massachusetts, while being caught flat footed by this change, were willing to point users to the TomTom URL where old versions of Home could be downloaded and run to avoid these problems. They took care of the problem while probably circumventing the wishes of some folks back in the NL.

That's not to say that all of their support people on the other end of the phone are as good, or that we're always successful in working around the problems that TT presents to us, but we manage most of the time. Try getting an older firmware or application release out of Garmin. Their people actually point you to a 3rd party (non-Garmin) site operated by a guy who archives old Garmin firmware and software. Internally, they can't do a thing.

None of these outfits is doing what I'd call a JD Powers stellar job, but at least they do have a few folks on the other end of the phone that know their GPS from a hole in the ground and can come up with some creative solutions. Meanwhile, we do our best here.

Can you elaborate on this a bit? Since they don't ship different versions of Home for different Windows systems, I would have imagined that this update may well have dealt with the problem on your older machine as well. What was the issue?

The problem involved a desktop computer that had Windows 2000 on it. The new laptop is running Windows XP. Another desktop had Windows XP on it as well. I may have misstated the problem - I can't really remember if it happened on all the machines on not - but the problem involved the "Operate my Device" function, which just quit working.

I reported the problem, and got the standard response that they would work on it. I'm not sure how long it finally took them to fix it, but I do know that after 72 hours, while waiting for them to tell me when they had fixed the problem, I was notified that the problem was closed (marked as solved)because they hadn't heard from me. The problem was described on their website for ages.

To me, a problem should remain open until either the situation is truly solved or I'm notified that it might be in the next release. Sweeping it under the rug after 72 hours doesn't mean it is solved.

To me, a problem should remain open until either the situation is truly solved or I'm notified that it might be in the next release. Sweeping it under the rug after 72 hours doesn't mean it is solved.
I think all of us agree that this longstanding practice is pretty bogus. All it does is make the numbers look good, but I think even TT NL knows better.

Ask a Question