When does the clock starts ticking?

TomTom Model(s)
Hi guys,

When do you think the clock starts ticking for the 30 day map guarantee?

Is it the moment you switch the tomtom on?

Is it the moment you connect the tomtom to a computer using home?

Is it the moment your home access the internet to connect to tomtom server?

Has any one tried this? Purchased the tomtom.... Use it for some days without connecting to the computer.... Then install home.... and check how many days are left for the map update... and found out that they still have 30 days left starting from the date they connected it to the computer?(But again, how do you check the number of days left????:p )

I tried asking this question to the tomtom CS. Her reply was the 30 day map guarantee starts from the date you purchase it. Then i asked them if i bought it online and if the delay is significant, does the countdown starts at the purchase date. Then she told me that she was not sure, but she thinks it starts at the date you receive it. So i asked her, so how do you get info on that date... Then she told me they have the tracking numbers.

hmmm..... At the tomtom website, they say it starts at the date you start using the device...a rather loose sentence... that probably means when we switch it on for the first time... Now, thats a possibility.... the device might have some way to write the start date on to the internal flash in some encrypted form.

But, more than that, i think, the clock starts ticking the moment your home logs on to their server....

Question asked, question answered....hehehe:D

What do you think, guys?

Last edited:
It should be the day you receive the unit. There are a few owners who do not even use HOME when they purchase their TomToms. :D

It should be the day you receive the unit. There are a few owners who do not even use HOME when they purchase their TomToms. :D

What if someone receives the unit and do not open the box for one month? will he not be able to get an update?:confused:

Last edited:
What if someone receives the unit and do not open the box for one month? will he not be able to get an update?:confused:

How on Earth would TomTom know when to start the clock if you never even open the box? ;)

The clock most likely starts when the unit is first turned on. Then that activation data is probably transmitted to TT with the serial number of the unit when you do your first TT Home update.

If you never use TT Home, then they'll never know when you activated. But that's no good for you since you can't get the updates without connecting TT Home or mailing in your purchase receipt.

I wouldn't hold out. The latest maps just came out recently so don't expect anything in the next 30 days.

I think so too...
If you read this link below, you will see that the start of 30 day is when you start using it, rather than the date you purchase it or receive it :) ....

click on this link and click on the latest map guarantee....http://www.livechangingmaps.com/

So , the device somehow codes the switch on date inside one of the file and then either

Well...but, tomtom also says somewhere - if the map in the device is older than 9 months, they can deny an update.:(

Last edited:
I think so too...
If you read this link below, you will see that the start of 30 day is when you start using it, rather than the date you purchase it or receive it...

I agree with you but I really believe that's just more misinformation from TT's web site.

It's so sad to see such a nice product with such terribly inconsistent online information & support.

If that were true, 30 days from when you start using it, then why does TT ask for a receipt as proof of purchase date when there are map update problems? Shouldn't they already know the unit's activation date as we suspect?

And as far as this whole "unless we already released an update within the last 9 months" fine print thing... another piece of ridiculously inconsistent information from the TT web site that probably wouldn't stand up in any court.

I don't know how they can go around promising a "100% Guarantee, the latest maps within 30-days unless something else, which is no longer currently the latest, was already released sometime within the last 9 months".

Essentially this means that TT defines latest maps within 30 days as "whatever the latest map was 9 months plus 30 days ago".

It's about as ridiculous as...

"We'll Match Any Price, 100% Guaranteed!... (unless you find a better price, then we won't.)"

Last edited:

Ask a Question