What's the BlueTooth Good for???

I have my TT1 logged in to my BlueTooth phone (TREO 700p).

What kinds of things can the TT1 do via the phone? It doesn't offer to dial for help.

Also, my phone has Internet access via a data plan (but no WiFi). Can I get TomTom Traffic and Weather (and other "plus" services) that way?

Thanks.

If you've got a data plan (the more expensive ones) you should be able to call, talk, get traffic and weather all via the bluetooth connection. There are threads about linking, just search for your cell providers name on the forum for the configuration.

If you've got a data plan (the more expensive ones) you should be able to call, talk, get traffic and weather all via the bluetooth connection. There are threads about linking, just search for your cell providers name on the forum for the configuration.
My phone is not supported for wireless!! So is there anything I can use the bluetooth connection for?

It suppose to sync with compatible phones for TomTom Plus services.
As I said before, my phone is not supported for Plus services.

So is the Bluetooth connection useless?

I tried Help Me > Phone for Help but there's no button to make the actual call.

Sorry to say but if your phone's bluetooth is not support with the ONE, it won't connect to TT Plus.

The Phone for help will not work because the ONE isn't designed to be used as handsfree as the other units.

Sorry to say but if your phone's bluetooth is not support with the ONE, it won't connect to TT Plus.
I don't believe that the bluetooth is the problem. The TT "pairs" quite nicely with my phone via bluetooth.

I believe that the problem is that the TT1 cannot issue the commands that work with CDMA wireless phones. I could be wrong but it seems to me that the only difference between the 700p and a supported TREO is that the latter has GRS/GPRS and the 700p has only CDMA.

The Phone for help will not work because the ONE isn't designed to be used as handsfree as the other units.
Or as an answer to my question with regard to the ONE and my phone, bluetooth is of zero value, right?

I believe that the problem is that the TT1 cannot issue the commands that work with CDMA wireless phones.
Close enough. The problem is CDMA technology.
Or as an answer to my question with regard to the ONE and my phone, bluetooth is of zero value, right?
Right. That is why your phone is not listed as being compatible.

My advice; switch off the bluetooth, it will save some battery power on your ONE.

Can you explain please?
I will try.

My interpretation (I have had no confirmation that this is true) is that the problems are related to the differing standards specification. The following is a gross over-simplification, but;

The GSM standard defines the operation of the entire network and is a true global standard (as the name implies). In comparison, IS-95 (a.k.a. cdmaOne) is a specification that defines only the air interface, i.e. the manner in which the phone connects to the cell tower. This means that the services that are offered, and how they are provided is entirely up to the network provider.

As the way to access a GSM-based service (and which services are provided) is strictly defined, it means that 3rd-party systems can access services over GSM according to the published GSM standards. The way to access a particular service over CDMA can be (and is) completely different for every provider (as handsets are tied to a particular provider this is not a problem for the provider). Unless operators specifically allow 3rd-party access to their network services (by providing the required information) such access is not possible.

So, I don't think that your TT cannot issue the correct commands, but that it doesn't know those commands. It could issue them if it knew them. Unfortunately, that is a secret known only to your network operator.

Combine the above with the fact that GSM is used by 85% of the mobile world and CDMA is only used by 10% and you can see why 3rd parties (in this case TomTom) are either unable or unwilling to provide support for CDMA phones.

I will try.
<snip>
Combine the above with the fact that GSM is used by 85% of the mobile world and CDMA is only used by 10% and you can see why 3rd parties (in this case TomTom) are either unable or unwilling to provide support for CDMA phones.
I'll keep that in mind when I buy my next phone. Thanks.

Ask a Question