What's going on?! (Failed map purchase)

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920(T)
I have a TomTom GO 920(T).

I've always purchased the latest maps and have been satisfied with the performance of my GPS. I just purchased a map, and it took TomTom like 4 days to withdraw the funds from my bank account. Normally, it took them a day; two tops (via PayPal).

I sent them an e-mail about it asking if everything was ok on their end; nobody replied. Then I sent them (and PayPal) a second e-mail asking them to cancel the transaction since I hadn't seen any activity from TomTom and then the funds were withdrawn.

Fine, the funds were withdrawn (which is what I wanted), but then when I went to download my map....THERE'S NO MAP UPDATE TO BE SEEN. I searched the TomTom website for like an hour or so to see if there was any technical support document I could refer to, but nothing useful.

I sent them an e-mail asking for some help, but it seems like they're nowhere to be found. Now I've paid for a map but don't have it. I've had to launch a dispute. :(
What the heck is going on with TomTom?! Have they cut their staff, or do they no longer care?

Sorry for ranting.....just miffed. Time for a Garmin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call CS at 866-486-6866. Did you try getting the map via 'Update my unit' in Home 2?

Call CS at 866-486-6866. Did you try getting the map via 'Update my unit' in Home 2?

"Update my GO" via TomTom Home. But it doesn't show up. But what really burns me is how they haven't replied or even acknowledged my e-mails. It's as if it's their way of saying "Who cares about your money, or you?"

I really feel slighted here. And what's more, the PayPal automatically generated a response indicating they (TomTom) have decided to leave it in PayPal's hands (to make the final decision about my map/funds). Is that standard procedure for all customers or am I just being swept under the rug?

Am I wrong to demand my product (after having paid for it?) This is insane. Bottom line is, if I don't get my map (or a refund) I'm reporting them.

Last edited:
Did you make the phone call???

I was on hold all this time. Turns out it's some kind of a glitch on their end. She could not assist me, so she'll be putting in a "request for a refund".

I'll be adding these notes to my PayPal dispute, in the event that they actually refund me my money back. What a headache.

The Verdict...

...is in!

PayPal has issued me a full refund (on temporary hold of course). Now all's that left is for me to figure out another way of getting an up to date map! LOL.

Maybe I'll just upgrade my GPS and go with a newer one; I loves my toys. :thumb:

Been thinking about the Garmin 3490LMT. Who can argue with Lifetime Maps & Traffic? One things for sure; after TomTom ignored me I definitely won't be reinvesting in their organization.

I let my wallet do the talking.

can I have my money back?

I have tried to purchase safety camera updates on two occasions recently. Both times the website was happy to take my money but both times the download failed and I did not get my update. TomTom has taken nearly £40 out of my bank but I have nothing to show for it.
All I get is a template reply to my complaints.

How do I get my money back?

I have a TomTom GO 920(T).

I've always purchased the latest maps and have been satisfied with the performance of my GPS. I just purchased a map, and it took TomTom like 4 days to withdraw the funds from my bank account. Normally, it took them a day; two tops (via PayPal).

I sent them an e-mail about it asking if everything was ok on their end; nobody replied. Then I sent them (and PayPal) a second e-mail asking them to cancel the transaction since I hadn't seen any activity from TomTom and then the funds were withdrawn.

Fine, the funds were withdrawn (which is what I wanted), but then when I went to download my map....THERE'S NO MAP UPDATE TO BE SEEN. I searched the TomTom website for like an hour or so to see if there was any technical support document I could refer to, but nothing useful.

I sent them an e-mail asking for some help, but it seems like they're nowhere to be found. Now I've paid for a map but don't have it. I've had to launch a dispute. :(
What the heck is going on with TomTom?! Have they cut their staff, or do they no longer care?

Sorry for ranting.....just miffed. Time for a Garmin.

We are not affiliated with TomTom, the company. If you wish to get your money back, then you must contact TomTom.

0845 161 0009

Ask a Question