Taking a long time to find sattelite!!! What's going on?

Hi,
I have the ONE 3rd edition and it was working perfectly in the first couple weeks. Recently, when I turn it on, it doesn't find service and you know, I get the B&W screen. It takes a long time to get service and start working.
Is this a problem I should reach out to customer support and have them give me a new one?

THanks

Hi,
I have the ONE 3rd edition and it was working perfectly in the first couple weeks. Recently, when I turn it on, it doesn't find service and you know, I get the B&W screen. It takes a long time to get service and start working.
Is this a problem I should reach out to customer support and have them give me a new one?

THanks

Hi, the Tom One 3rd edition can take upto 3 minutes to get a satilite fix (mine did sometimes). Have you downloaded the latest GPS Fix? In that case it should be less that 30 seconds. But GPS fix is only valid for a week.
GPS Fix makes a huge difference to the time required to locate the satelites.

one tip i did like was after the 1st stop,leave the unit on-then the one does not have to start looking for the satellites-the down side is it drains the battery on the one-however i just hook it up to the car charger if it gets to low-
i am sure there are a lot of other tips- but my unit never shows them even when checked-

All I can tell ya is my TT One XL used to pick up satellites very quickly, the last month or so it takes a very, very long time for it to get orientated, I sent TT an e-mail last week and still have not gotten a reply, the last few times I have plugged it into the computer no GPS Quick Fix has popped up and it used to do this everytime??:confused:
Ok, something new, I just plugged in and loaded TT Home and nothing came up about GPS Quick Fix, so I went to TT Home and check items installed, scrolled down to Quick Fix and clicked on it and there are lots of Quick Fixes so I scrolled to the one that said 1.0mb and installed it, then closed out and came back on and I'll be damned it went like it was supposed to and checked the QF and loaded????? So tomorrow I'll check it out and see what it does, I think somewhere when it installed new stuff (not me) that was left out........?????

Last edited:
one tip i did like was after the 1st stop,leave the unit on-then the one does not have to start looking for the satellites-the down side is it drains the battery on the one-however i just hook it up to the car charger if it gets to low-
i am sure there are a lot of other tips- but my unit never shows them even when checked-
Actually, the way I understand TomToms working, is you don't have to leave your TT on after you arrive, but just don't turn it off before you arrive at your desertion. In other words, don't turn it off as you're getting close like say 1 mile out from your destination since you know the rest of the way.

I got a tip some months ago from TT in an email that said, "For quicker acquisition of satellite signals, don't turn off your TT until after you get to your destination. That way your TT knows where to look for satellite signals when you turn it back on".

Hope this helps.

Well as I mentioned in a previous post
Ok, something new, I just plugged in and loaded TT Home and nothing came up about GPS Quick Fix, so I went to TT Home and check items installed, scrolled down to Quick Fix and clicked on it and there are lots of Quick Fixes so I scrolled to the one that said 1.0mb and installed it, then closed out and came back on and I'll be damned it went like it was supposed to and checked the QF and loaded????? So tomorrow I'll check it out and see what it does, I think somewhere when it installed new stuff (not me) that was left out........?????
I went out this morning and fired up the TT and "Bingo" it picked up the satellites right away, so somewhere when I loaded the latest stuff from TT several weeks ago the GPS Quick Fix got deleted, so my recomendation is go and reinstall the one that says 1.0mb and see what happens, solved my problem......:cool:

Don't know if it has occurred to others? I regularly update my QuickFix at least twice a week. A few times I observed my lto.dat file was missing from the ephem folder on my TT even though it was still not obsolete. I wonder if it could have been caused by the TT system rebooting while the car was moving and had taken quite a while to get a satellite fix? I'm not sure I could reproduce the problem but seen it a couple of times.

Some may be interested to read the following: http://www.gpsreview.net/acquiring-satellites/

Haven't had a GPS quick fix update in ages!

I haven't seen a GPS quick fix in ages, but I just got the XL T (Whatever model that is) new application update over the weekend.

I had to do the paper clip reset, because of some issue, and then it said the voice I had selected (susan "text") was not available...whatever! She was still on my XLS and works just fine, and it even saved my favorites this time, but I have noticed it taking a minute or two to pick up a signal.

I might try what Eldorado suggested, but where in TomTom Home version 2.3 or whichever, did you find that you could add the GPS quick fix feature? or was this already on your device, just somewhere buried in "installed items"?

I have a love/ hate issue with my TomTom alright! :mad:

Thanks for the tip Eldorado.

I tried what you suggested to get my GPS quick fix back and it worked! Woo hoo!

I turned on the XLS, plugged it into the PC, when it asked if I wanted to connect to a computer I hit "Yes", I scrolled through the various Home options, and found "Items on my computer" on the last page.

Sure enough it had a bunch of old junk in there, including the 0.1 MB GPS quick fix file, so I hit "add" and it installed it back onto my XLS.

Then I clicked "device" up in the tool bar, scrolled down to disconnect, closed Home, turned the unit off and then back on to trigger it to open Home, hit update my tomtom, and low and behold, like you said...It updated the GPS quick fix.

Saweet! I can't wait to see if it performs or picks up any quicker in the morning, or I guess I could go do it outside now.

Anyway, Thanks Eldorado...points for you my friend!

Bingo! That worked, I couldn't figure out why it was taking so long to lock-on to a signal. Slight addendum to the instructions above, you don't need to disconnect and reconnect, you can simply select the "update my one" option.

Ask a Question