So what's the big deal?

Hi,
So what's the big deal with backups? I bought a GO730 for a good pice online. It was supposed to be NIB, but wasn't. Turned out to be a factory refurb. The refurb had wrong software installed and wouldn't connect / work properly with TomTom home app. I simply wiped it clean (windows format), and let TomTom Home find it and install the correct updated software. I never backed it up simply because what's the point? It had the wrong software anyways. TomTom support accepted my sales receipt for the latest map guarantee, so I have the latest map. So what am I missing?

They did give you the LMG though they are not obligated to since it was a refurb.

It has been known .... a lot .... that there have been issues when people try to update maps or applications. Having an Explorer backup is a 'safety net', not for the application, as you point out, but really to maintain a copy of the installed map.

Without a backup, if they had NOT honoured the LMG and if something had gone wrong....you could be out a map. And could likely have to pay for another.

That's why.......

But hey, no reason to back up the contents of your computer, either. Nothing ever goes wrong.....
:eek:

One thing I wondered is why are there so many refurbed devices out there? I always worry about quality when I see them. Does anyone know why they got so many coming back?

I suspect it's mostly due to users' mishandling of the GPS to computer connection.
I don't know about the new devices but my 510 will surely die if I just pull the USB cable out without clicking first the 'Disconnect Device' box in Home.

One thing I wondered is why are there so many refurbed devices out there? I always worry about quality when I see them. Does anyone know why they got so many coming back?
My guesstimate it that a lot of stores have no questions asked return policies. When that happens the store returns it to a TomTom designated address, it is checked over, missing components (manuals, etc.) added and then sold as refurbished
In addition to that, there are some DOA and other real problems.

Twenty years ago a refurbished Toshiba laptop was guaranteed to be better than a new one as the technicians ran it through all its paces. You had to put in your name at a dealer and wait to get one. The price differential was very little.

Ask a Question