What USA map to buy?

I just got a TT XXL Europe. This summer we are going to USA and will stay in Florida and Tennessee.

When I look at the available maps there are several options: I can get a USA only map, USA including Canada, USA including Canada and Mexico, entire North America, etc. But I really only need USA.

I have not found any thread here discussing this.

So I have a few questions:

1. What about POI, will they be the same for Florida and Tennessee no matter what map I buy? If there is a POI in one map, will it automatically be there for all maps including USA?

2. Which map would show the most detail about Florida and Tennessee, or will it be the same in all maps that include USA?

The 5" screen?

I suspect your best best is the USA map that shows as 1516.5 MB for the 845 model (but wait a couple of weeks for the 850 map to arrive).

The poi set will be pretty much the same as it would for the USA_Canada, maybe larger, since none of the space will be wasted with Canadian pois.

Map detail for those states should be the same on all maps since the one I suggested is not a compressed map to fit your unit.

Enjoy the trip!

The 5" screen?!

Yes, the 5" screen.

From your comment it seems I will do best with a map that does not include countries I do not want?

If someone adds a POI in Miami, will that automatically show up in all maps that includes Miami?

This is part of a honey moon, I have wanted to drive around in Miami ever since I watched Miami Vice back in the 80's :)

Last edited:
Not clear what you mean by asking if someone adds a poi in Miami, will it show up? Adds how? You can always make custom .ov2 files and install on your map or you can download ov2 files from the net and install them in your map folder. Then they will show up on your map as well.

p.s. Don't get disappointed with the reality of what Miami might be compared to what you saw in the Crockett and Tubbs TV show.

Not clear what you mean by asking if someone adds a poi in Miami, will it show up? Adds how?.

Hmmm, I don't remember what I thought about...

Now I am pretty new to this so it could be that I have not understood how it works.

But it could happen that one map covering the USA is much more popular than another map so it gets more POIs added over time. But perhaps TomTom will make sure that they have more or less the same set of POIs?

If someone who is using USA_Canada map makes an interesting set of POIs, will that be usable with the USA only map?

p.s. Don't get disappointed with the reality of what Miami might be compared to what you saw in the Crockett and Tubbs TV show.

We stayed in Miami Beach and it was everything I could hoped for and much much more!

Ask a Question