What the heck? Updates??

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I went and hit "update my device" and this came up... They won't go away either :(

whattheheckk.jpg

It appears you were trying to get a non-default (meaning: not US or UK English) computer voice. While you should be able to proceed, I was just noting that.

Anyway, it appears the dl of the cab file was corrupt. You may want to delete and try again or unzip the cab using winrar or equivalent and place the files manually.

At least the error message in this case is not as convoluted as those stupid chrome error reports.

I went and hit "update my device" and this came up... They won't go away either :(
Just a wild guess -- look at the upper right corner of the Home screen. Does it show you logged in as you, or does it say "Log in"? If the latter, you are getting the full generic dump of everything that would fit your model. When Home successfully logs you in, you get only voices appropriate to your country of choice from your account. Could have been a server issue on their end. Not that their servers ever have problems, right?:eek:

It was logged in.It shows part of my email in the first pic but very tiny. I'm going to try updating again today and see what happens. Ohh and, I had deleted everything in the Home folder and those still come up.. Now to try right now.

I have a suspicion that, after a while, Home 'learns' about items you unselect and stops checking them automatically when it offers them in a listing.

Anyway, sage, if you select computer voice, the default should appear and not offer all that were showing.

I saw that last weekend also, as I had my own fit with troubleshooting/restoring versions.

I think it happens when you have no voices installed. Or maybe because I deleted my Loquendo and voices folder.

I did tons of things over the weekend, so I'm not sure which step fixed it, but try downloading one of each voice type (eg: Susan and Mandy) from the voice download section (not the update section), then select your language and choose Susan on the tomtom, and see if the issue goes away.

I'm not sure what happened. After spending 2 hours moving, deleting, installing, reinstalling etc and doing a million other things, everything is now fixed. It was down to only wanting to update 3 main voices, and no matter how many times I downloaded and installed the voices using "update," it would keep creating a new folder for that voice each time such as "Susan" "Susan-1" "Susan-2" etc.. I then looked through "items on my computer" via Home and saw each of the voices at least 6 to 8 times, but one of each voice had weird characters in it as the name. So I deleted each voice that had the strange characters (corruption) and now everything is normal. Not only that, I now have every single computer voice installed lol. I would remove them from the device but ehh, since I still have 5.2 gigs left on my SD card, I'll just leave them on there.

I'm currently using the Italian voice since I now understand Italian after using Rosetta Stone :)

What's funny is that the voice tries and does read out english street names in english, with an Italian accent. Everything else is in Italian.

I'm half tempted to dl the Italian computer voice for my wife when she travels in Italy next month (she's fluent in Italian) and takes our 720 along with the WE map we purchased.

Wanna hear ugly? Listen to the English speaking computer voices pronounce some Italian road names,,,:D

Wanna hear ugly? Listen to the English speaking computer voices pronounce some Italian road names,,,:D

I don't even want to know what that sounds like. She probably might vomit during the process. Susan has enough trouble already pronouncing english street names.

I'm half tempted to dl the Italian computer voice for my wife when she travels in Italy next month (she's fluent in Italian) and takes our 720 along with the WE map we purchased.

Used mine in Naples and Rome, and yes, it's pretty sad. After all, Loquendo IS an Italian outfit!

Although I've told this one before, long ago in some other thread, it bears repeating. Coming up I-25 toward home from Denver, the signage on the road indicates the exit is for the town of Lyons. I have no idea what exactly Loquendo is doing to this name. I've selected for pronouncing foreign street names.

Every time I get close to home, Suzie (the name of my TT720) announces that it is time to take the exit for -- and I spell this phonetically -- EL YON. I've combed through the Loquendo files looking for a reason for this, but Lyons is not listed in any of the "translated" names in the TTS file designed to use an exceptional (per their engine, anyway) means to pronounce a word or name. I can only assume it's in the Colorado file, and that somebody fat fingered things and left a space such that the entry reads "L YONS" or somesuch. It sounds completely ridiculous and when I was commuting that way every day, finally got really annoying!

To the punch line...

Suzie is now also known by me and by several of my more regular passengers as "The Butcher of Lyons", and I have threatened to rename her from Suzie to Barbie.

Bad pun. Google it if you're too young or failed history.

Ask a Question