What the 720 really needs...

TomTom Model(s)
Please sticky this post so others can add to it.

1) A wifi setup so you don't have to bring the GPS in for syncing. Just pull in the driveway and it will see you are home and download any of the latest upgrades (option to turn off due to bugs coming out too early). To save battery power it is set to manual wifi when in battery mode automatically. Cost of adding wifi (not much probably around $10-20 if that).

2) Together with the wifi it should allow you to go to a special google maps page (should be easy enough to do with Google) which allows you to create maps (itineraries) and save them to your upload so when you wifi for updates you can get the latest maps you have created.

3) POI database that can be voted on and downloaded from TT. I understand us geeks can get this done but we shouldn't have to. Use an open source method to allow places like Tim Hortons, food chains, etc. add their locations as POIs. This should be a one click setup (maybe using xml). With a rating system so people can know if it's accurate or outdated (hmmm, a date of update would be easy).

4) A simple mobile version of yellow and white pages (don't forget canada) that puts the address into the gps for driving directions would be simple. (of course using the data connection so you will need a bluetooth cell phone and data package but most business people have this with their PDA/Blackberries). Also allow the geeks to add their own mobile websites for browsing as someone will come up with a killer apps for this.

Everything I mentioned will probably be better suited for the 920 of course as it is the top of the line but we can atleast ask.

What are you suggestions? Did someone already do this on another GPS line?

Nathan...

Calculator
Breadcrumbs that can be saved and exported to google/maps etc
accurate maps with more detail

My wish list

How about:
  • WMA file compatiblity
  • HWY Exit numbers on map
  • Rivers and streams on map
  • Hands-Free phone thru RF to car speakers
I'm new to the GO 720. It sure is purdy, but the maps don't have near the detail of my ol' Iway 350C. Too bad it broke!

The road maps on the 720/920 are pretty good in my area (Southern NJ) and even include the little sand roads. But you're right, little rivers and streams are missing. However I was playing with a TomTom One XL the other day, and those maps have even less detail. Two small lakes near my home are accurately represented on the 720/920 but they were completely missing on the One XL.

What TomTom really needs is a topographic map, like Garmin's US Topo.

How about:
  • HWY Exit numbers on map
I'm new to the GO 720. It sure is purdy, but the maps don't have near the detail of my ol' Iway 350C. Too bad it broke!
I see the exit numbers when I am on the highway!

The one thing I would like to see added if an FM receiver or the FM transmitter only transmitting when it needs to say something, that way you can listen to the radio and let TT pipe in when it needs too.

--Phil

My Wish list

- Updated and functional version of an "Event_logger"(see http://web.tiscali.it/macri/Event_Logger/) like program
- Tomtom to provide an SDK again
- Good file explorer
- Opportunity to add roads to the map on your own Tomtom from other maps. Large sections of the world are still not available, including gravel roads et cetera
- Opportunity to use the Tomtom for marine navigation, including maps
- Oppotunity to use the "Spoken address" also for navigation to "Point of Interest", "Favorite", and even "Recent destination"

What TomTom 720 needs:
1. The ability to do hands free dialing (voice recognition) of your bluetooth phone.
2. To have their maps online like Garmin has. That way you can see exactly what you are buying before you spend $150 for an update.
3. A much better POI database. They don't even have major stores like Ikea and Costco listed.
4. To have map updates be able to create new roads (geometry) otherwise of what use is it? Who cares if they added a new POI halfway around the world?

I see the exit numbers when I am on the highway!

The one thing I would like to see added if an FM receiver or the FM transmitter only transmitting when it needs to say something, that way you can listen to the radio and let TT pipe in when it needs too.

--Phil

Thanks Phil - I see the exit numbers now while I'm navigating (mea culpa). They just didn't show up while I was browsing the map.

That's an interesting idea for the RF transmitter, unfortunately with the very low xmit power output it can only work when the radio is tuned to a 'clean' frequency. You'd be listening to static between nags. :(

What TomTom 720 needs:
1. The ability to do hands free dialing (voice recognition) of your bluetooth phone.
2. To have their maps online like Garmin has. That way you can see exactly what you are buying before you spend $150 for an update.
3. A much better POI database. They don't even have major stores like Ikea and Costco listed.
4. To have map updates be able to create new roads (geometry) otherwise of what use is it? Who cares if they added a new POI halfway around the world?

1. I've already sent in an enhancement request. This is really very easy for them to add and they should since almost every bluetooth headset can trigger this in any bluetooth phone that has voice dialing.

2. The just need a good HTML programmer to add it to the site.

3. At least we can add them ourselves.

4. What TomTom should do is change to a subscription model for maps. You pay a yearly fee and you get automatic map updates including added roads within a month of Telatlas releasing them which I believe is every quarter.

In between these updates the current map share updates should apply. All of this needs to be automatic through TomTom Home so the user never has to think about it.

THis would not be a major change over what I think their doing now but it is different. If this is setup and priced correctly I think more people would purchase updates.

BTW, Where does the POI database come from? Is it Telatlas or someplace else?

Ask a Question