Updating my 720T really slow recently???

Hello Members
I'm using the latest TT Home2 software (version 23.0.33) and found recently when it's checking for updates (QuickGPfix, PIO's, Speed Camers, Map share) it's taking ages during the 'Loading.....' screen, about 5mins , then 'QuickGPfix update will be found it's still doing the 'Loading....', then eventually (about another 8mins) either there will be Map share or PIO's changes, or it'll just be the QuickGPfix to install.

I sent a Tech request to Tom Tom, and they came back with my AVG firewall at fault, but how can this be?, i've always had it, and the Home 2 software never used to do this, it was much quicker, also how can the QuickGPfix update get through quickly.

Anyone having these issues of late?

All the Tom Tom services are set to 'allow' in the AVG software, the only thing that looks blocked is something called 'svhost.exe' in the log files

Any help would be great

Kind regards

I have the same issue when I initially dock my 720

I've noticed the same issue as well since receiving 2 TT Home version 2.2x upgrades. I haven't changed my internet protection suite either (Trendmicro). I find I have to interrupt the initial update by selecting something like TomTom Home add-ons from the TT Home menu and then manually select to update my TomTom.

Jack Weintraub

Hello and thanks for the replies, Sshadow, i had version 2.2.1.58, and thought there was a problem with the program, i uninstalled it, downloaded a fresh copy from the Tom Tom website (UK), and installed it whent to 'Help' then 'about' the version shows 2.3.0.33, and i thought the same as you, but when 'checking for program updates' it come back with you have the most upto date version??, so i couldn't argue with that.

regards

Jweint, i must admit, i've been sort of doing the same thing to get the update result, it's like there server's on a go-slow at the moment, i't can't be Firewall problems, they either allow or block, they don't have a 'let through but slowly' mode, the fact that QuickGPfix gets through shows my logon is ok

That's not the latest version. The latest version is 2.2.1.58. Go to Help, and then Check for Latest version.

Actually the official lasted is 2.2.0.33. They widthdrawed 1.58 and there are no signs of that version on their webpage :) (because of errors under win 2000)

Initial update

I wonder whether the algorithm for comparing what's on the unit vs. what should be on the unit has changed and that's what's affected performance on the initial update.

Maybe it's TT's revenge for enabling voice recognition on our 720's ;)

Jack Weintraub

I just downloaded & installed 2.2.0.33

It still took at least two minutes to check for updates; nowhere near the 30 seconds it took for the version I had before 2.2.1.58 :confused:

Also, since the initial update of 2.2.1.58, I've noticed that my current location is often off by a block. I can be driving down the Interstate and my TT will tell me I'm on a street that runs parallel to it, but about a block over.

Up until the upgrade to 2.2.1.58, my TT was never off by more then a few feet and always knew what mapped streets I was on; although, this could be a coincidence. My parents live in the same area and also own a 720 GO (they have yet to update past 1.x I believe) and they're having the exact same problem.

Per another post, I changed my Satellite Coordinate Display to seconds; I'll post when I find out if this actually increases the TT's accuracy.

I've just downloaded the new 2.2.2.83 version, so i'll see if theres a difference in speed, i've a feeling the 'Map Share' feature is the part thats slowing things throughout the updating process, at a guess.

I've just downloaded the new 2.2.2.83 version, so i'll see if theres a difference in speed, i've a feeling the 'Map Share' feature is the part thats slowing things throughout the updating process, at a guess.

I reset my TT yesterday to address problems I've been having showing my correct location. The reset solved the problem, but a tiny amount of map share updates took 25 minutes to find during the daytime with 2.2.2.83 :mad:

I just did my second update a few minutes ago and the GPS quickfix and another tiny amount of map share updates still took 12 minutes at 1:30 AM :(

Needless to say I've disabled the automatic update feature.

This morning i thought i'd do the update process just to see if there was an inprovement over the last version, the list is long, but i thought the detail may help see below...

started at 8.48

after 6 mins 'Abort' button appeared

8.55 'QuickGPSFix' update shows up

modems 'ACT' light flashes now and then

9.05 the 'Abort' button appears again

modems 'ACT' light flashes more frequently

9.09 Home reports back it's timed out, it suggests it might be to do with something with internet settings
(can't be if i'm connecting and getting updates, and everything else works fine)

9.09 Followed through and installed the QuickGPSFix update

So i carried on, only before i whent back to the updateing process, i first clicked onto 'Operate my Tom Tom' and click on a few Tom Tom buttons...

..then whent back to 'Update my Tom Tom'...

9.10 started the update process

30 seconds later the 'Abort' button came up

9.11 A 'Map Share' update appeared
(no updates for Speed cams, or PIO's came up)

9.11 Installed the one 'Map Share' update

...after installation, i thought i'd do the same process as before, and click onto 'Operate mt Tom Tom'......

then whent back to the 'update my Tom Tom' again....

9.12 started the update process again

30 seconds later the 'Abort' button came up as before

9.14 another 'Map Share' update came up
(again no other updates were found)

9.14 intsalled the 'Map Share' update

.... as before i clicked onto 'Operate my Tom Tom' again

whent back to the 'Update my Tom Tom'...

9.16 started the update process again

9.17 Tom Tom Home reported "Your device is up to date'

I recon there is no such problem with internet access at my end, i think the updating process at Tom Tom's end has changed, or the way the Home software is scanning the device first then sending the info back is converluted, risking server timeouts at there end, i think tthe 'Map Share' accessing system has a lot to do with this, Tom Tom need to look at there process again i think.

regards

Well....for the heck of it, I started the update process at 8:13 am Eastern time. The complete process was done (with quickfix downloaded and installed) by 8:14 am. Same software version. Could your firewall or virus scanner somehow be slowing the process down?

Last edited:
Answering myself ... again ... :rolleyes:

Anyway, another thought, prompted by discussion in another thread..

TTHome is a memory hog when operating. If a user has many other apps open when TTHome is running, may slow everthing down.

dhn i don't see how?, i've always had AVG Firewall/Antivirus running at the same time as the versions that have been installed, so i don't see it being the fault of Firewall, how come it allows it through slowly, surely it would either allow it or not.

I have checked the settings in AVG anyway, and there are no restrictions that i can see related to Tom Tom home, there is a svchost.exe file that gets stopped, but i already asked Tom Tom support about that, they said no.

The other things that might have some influence is my ISP (Talk Talk UK), but again i think it's a slim chance, and maybe how my login on the Tom Tom server is being processed, maybe some account users are being dealt with differently.

Also as far as a 'memory' issue is concerned, nothings changed on my machine since using the first Home app, which was installed in December 200, and that ran quickly.

I think i'll have to see if it suddenly rectifies itself over time

Well, you realize that, at the best of times, TT servers can be notoriously slow. You may have accessed them at a particularly bad time.

I would agree with this. I found updating in the middle of the night much faster; however it is still much slower than with earlier versions.

I did some tests myself. I have cable modem through Charter Communications and use their security software. I tested my cable modem speed before the test and was uploading at 2.5 Mbps.

Here's what I did:

1. I disabled the firewall only and started an update at 9:21 AM CST;the upload completed with Quick-Fix and Map Share updates at 9:27 AM CST.

2. I re-enabled the fire wall, disabled the virus protection and started an update at 9:32 AM CST; the upload completed with Map Share updates at 9:33 AM CST. :)

3. I re-enabled the virus protection and started an update at 9:35 AM CST; the upload completed with no new updates at 9:41 AM CST.

4. With high hopes, I tried disabling the virus protection again and started an update at 9:44 AM CST; unfortunately, the upload completed with Map Share updates at 9:50 AM CST :(

If anyone knows the names and/or extensions of the files that are downloaded for Quick-Fixes and Map Share updates, please post and I'll add them to my "automatic allowed file" list on my virus protection software and see if that helps.

Another thing worth mentioning is that every time a new program tries to access the Internet, my security software ask me if the program should be allowed or denied access. I have never be asked this by my security software when using any version of TT Home :confused:

I would agree with this. I found updating in the middle of the night much faster; however it is still much slower than with earlier versions.

I did some tests myself. I have cable modem through Charter Communications and use their security software. I tested my cable modem speed before the test and was uploading at 2.5 Mbps.

Here's what I did:

1. I disabled the firewall only and started an update at 9:21 AM CST;the upload completed with Quick-Fix and Map Share updates at 9:27 AM CST.

2. I re-enabled the fire wall, disabled the virus protection and started an update at 9:32 AM CST; the upload completed with Map Share updates at 9:33 AM CST. :)

3. I re-enabled the virus protection and started an update at 9:35 AM CST; the upload completed with no new updates at 9:41 AM CST.

4. With high hopes, I tried disabling the virus protection again and started an update at 9:44 AM CST; unfortunately, the upload completed with Map Share updates at 9:50 AM CST :(

If anyone knows the names and/or extensions of the files that are downloaded for Quick-Fixes and Map Share updates, please post and I'll add them to my "automatic allowed file" list on my virus protection software and see if that helps.

Another thing worth mentioning is that every time a new program tries to access the Internet, my security software ask me if the program should be allowed or denied access. I have never be asked this by my security software when using any version of TT Home :confused:
I'll second the comment about my AVG firewall asking to allow or reject the Tom Tom home software, or any related files, even from the first installation no permissions ever came up, i do know that all Tom Tom items within the firewall program list are set to 'allowed'

OneXL update

When trying to install TomTom Home update ver 2.3.0.33 "STopZilla" shows it has detected a Virus "VXGame.C" if I say delete, the install does not complete, I have tried this several times, I have not contacted TomTom yet, still looking for more information. From what I have read TomTom will not acknowledge virus problems with there software.

Ask a Question