What is the problem of my TomTom 920?

I have this TomTom 920 that just went blank while it was stil plugged into the car charger, I contacted TomTom support and went through several kinds of reset procedures that didn't resolve my problem. The green light indicator still lights up whether it is plugged into the cradle or car charger, but, it still doesn't turn ON.
My questions is, is my problem with the unit itself or the battery? if it is the battery and the unit is still plugged into a power source would it still turn ON? because mine doesn't.

Any help to narrow down my problem is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Did it go blank when you first booted up and, if so, have you just downloaded a new splash screen?

It went blank while I was usng the device on the road, I thought that I accidentally hit the power button, but, I realized that my car charger went bad, so as soon as I got back to my house I placed my device on the cradle and left it ovenight thinking it lost battery power. The next day I tried turning it back on and it wouldn't boot up anymore, Tech Support guideded me through several reset procedures but it didn't help. They suggested that it buy a new device because they did not have an out of warranty service center.
So, you think it could be the battery not taking any charge or the unit itself is defective?

When the device sits on the cradle, the charging indicator turns green, but, I cannot turn on the unit so there is no way of knowing it connects to the computer.

I tried resetting the unit several times and wth the help of tech support and still cannot turn on the unit.

So, before I buy a battery and replace it myself, I jut wanted to know whether anybody had experience the same situation I am in and whether anyone knows if it is the battery or the unit.

I thought you said you get a blank screen, as in white. That means it is turning on.

Is that not what you mean?

Oh, sorry.......I misunderstood.

Try a pin reset even with the unit off.

Then try to turn it on. If no go, it may be the battery is dead. Replacing one is much less expensive than buying a new unit.

that was the 1st thing I did and did it several times with no results. So, you think it might be the battery? if the battery was completely dead, is the unit suppose to tun on if it stayed plugged to a power source? because other people say that it should turn on even if you a dead battery and I just wanted to verify with someone here in the forum before I waste my money buying a battery not realizing it was the unit iself that was defective.

It's not the battery

If the unit won't turn on even when in the cradle, then there is a problem with the unit itself. Even with a completely dead battery (like mine), your 920 should work fine when plugged in. You'll need to replace the whole thing. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Ask a Question