TomTom 920 Limited Storage Problem

OK, one of the selling points for the TomTom 920 over the 720 was its capability to store North America, Quam, and Western Europe on the internal hard drive, leaving them switchable from the menu. I installed 810.1907 maps and the size of the storage requirement increased dramatically. My 920 will no longer store North America and Western Europe together on the internal hard drive. With just North America installed I only have 1.5GBytes of storage remaining. Western Europe requires approximately 1.7GBytes of storage.

Anyone have an idea of our alternative here. Can I store Western Europe on an SD card and be able to switch with the menu? Can it be stored across both the internal hard drive and SD (would only need about 512MByte SD card)card or does the SD card have to be at least 2GByte and dedicated to Western Europe only? Or do I now have to remove North America to install Western Europe?

Heck, can I just install an 8GByte SD card and use the internal hard drive for photos and music?

If you have firmware 8.3 installed, the unit can deal with sdhc cards greater than 4 gigs in size.

If you do not have f/w 8.3, then you can use a 4 gig sdhc card, copy either the NA folder or the WE folder to the card and be able to switch maps via Manage Maps-->Switch maps.

OK, one of the selling points for the TomTom 920 over the 720 was its capability to store North America, Quam, and Western Europe on the internal hard drive, leaving them switchable from the menu. I installed 810.1907 maps and the size of the storage requirement increased dramatically. My 920 will no longer store North America and Western Europe together on the internal hard drive. With just North America installed I only have 1.5GBytes of storage remaining. Western Europe requires approximately 1.7GBytes of storage.

Anyone have an idea of our alternative here. Can I store Western Europe on an SD card and be able to switch with the menu? Can it be stored across both the internal hard drive and SD (would only need about 512MByte SD card)card or does the SD card have to be at least 2GByte and dedicated to Western Europe only? Or do I now have to remove North America to install Western Europe?

Heck, can I just install an 8GByte SD card and use the internal hard drive for photos and music?

If you are using 8.15 app you can use a 16GB card if you like but if you are using 8.010 app the largest card you can use is a 4GB SDHC card that is what I have on my 920

I had it setup with N/A on internal and C/W EU & Guam on SD card and there is no problem switching maps.

I say had as I have since moved C/W EU & Guam maps to a new folder on computer of safe keeping for later use. Now I have N/A on SDHC card with no map on internal memory. and that works fine as well.

With the price of cards if I were you I would get atleast an 8GB card and you can have all maps on there and then some.

If you haven't got a card yet I would suggest don't just buy an off brand cheep card as TT can have a problem with speed. you can get an 8 SDHC Sandisk and reader from Buy.com for under $20.00

I have version 8.3 firmware. If I understand posts I should be able to install an 8GByte SD (I only use SanDisk Ultra IIIs).

I can then move all of my maps to the SD card and be able to switch between them with the menu option?

Ask a Question