What am I doing wrong?...

I have an XL 30 series with UK maps on...have downloaded the USA map to put on it..backed up the UK map and then tried to put on the USA map however it is saying I dont have enough space...the device is currently sitting with 661.7MB of installed items...the whole device is capable of holding 979.1MB and the USA map is 773.7MB so I figured I haven't taken off the UK map...however when I switch on the device it says 'no maps found'...how is that? Can I safely make space on my device to fit the USA map on or have I just wasted ?45? Any help hugely appreciated...thanks

Connect your unit to Home and move to Manage my Device, items on the unit. What does it show? Try moving the Voices to the computer and then try to reinstall the US map. If that works, then add back the voices you will use.

I have an XL 30 series with UK maps on...have downloaded the USA map to put on it..backed up the UK map
Did you used Windows Explorer to back up the map to your computer, not HOME.
If not done so already, make a complete back up of your XL 30 to your computer.

After that, delete your UK map.

... it is saying I dont have enough space...the device is currently sitting with 661.7MB of installed items...the whole device is capable of holding 979.1MB and the USA map is 773.7MB so I figured I haven't taken off the UK map.

After deleting the UK map how much space is on your device?
The free space must be larger than the 773.7 of the US map.

I do not know your XL 30 but if you need more space it is possible that you might delete some .ov2 POI) files to gain more free space.

Have backed everything up to the computer using HOME...but the device says there is still 661 MB on the TomTom...but when I switch the TomTom on it says there is no maps:confused:

Take a look at the contents of the map folder using Explorer. See if there is a file with an extension of .meta.dct. If not, use Winrar to look at the contents of the US compressed cab file here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

and within the .cab file should be a <map>.zip file and an activation.cab file. Extract the file from the activation.cab file and use Explorer to copy it to the map folder on your unit.

If you DO have the .meta.dct file in a map folder on your unit, then download and run the Clear Flash tool from here: TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product and run it 3 times.

Ask a Question