What am i doing wrong? map overlays

i am playing more than anything but, i am following the directions on tomtoms website for creating a map overlay. it aint working. i can download someone elses overlay and it works fine.

this is what i am doing:
zero in on google earth for the section i want. getting the coordinates for upper left corner of image and lower right corner of image.

save the image via google earths save image function. it saves it as a jpg file with dimensions of 1048x899.

i move this file into the raster folder on tomtom.

i then create a .sat file using notepad with a dash as the first line, upper left and lower right coordinates on the next four lines.

zoom values on the next two lines

and then image height and width on the next two lines.

save it and then go into a command window and rename the file to image_name.sat . the image name and sat file name being the same and saving that to the raster folder.

i go into the browse map function and it does not show my overlay. show images is checked in the options screen.

is there something special that has to be done with the image file or sat file? i have also tried vmeditor. it made no difference. i have also tried placing the image file name on the first name of the sat file.

any one have any suggestions? this is on a tomtom one 2nd edition using 7.9 software. thanks!

p.s. i have used the search function and only find limited posts on the subject

Last edited:
i admit, sometimes i am slow. i figured it out. i was putting the lat, long coords in on the lines backwards. it like the longitude coordinates better on the second and fourth lines a whole lot better.

this .sat file works now. this is what i was doing wrong
capitalview.jpg
-81.08687 <----- i was putting 33.85962 on this line and
33.85962 <----- putting -81.08687 on this line and mixing the numbers up
-81.08234 for the next 2 lines also.

thanks for the link though. had already found that searching. sometimes looking and seeing are 2 different things.:eek:

Im new to GPS and the tomtom one third myself, I tried for the last 3 days to get the stupid overlays to work and couldnt do it, I dl'd the ones from the the other overlay thread and his worked, modified them to what i needed, they work...... interesting

Ask a Question