Welcome to TTGO 1000

Just got an email with links to the garmin 3790t unit . It looks georgous. Allot of demo videos about this unit. Boy do I hope the 1000 will keep up with this Garmin unit.

mvl, is Navteq's traffic patterns as sophisticated as TT's IQR's? I'm curious if this is something the GPS learns and shares (like TT does) or just something that is integrated into maps?

I think IQR is an awesome feature that virtually runs itself without the input of anyone other then the end user.

Navteq traffic patterns is supposed to be the same things as TT's IQR. Problem is that Navteq has fewer probe devices than Tomtom in the US. Primarilly Nokia phones and other fleet contacts they have. In Europe, Nokia phones are more than enough for probes, but with the limited Nokia sales in the US, there would be limited information.

Currently, the Garmin 3700 doesn't even use Navteq Traffic Patters in the USA, Garmin decided to use Garmin's own history of tracklogs (via a system just like IQroutes), probably because it's much better quality.

Garmin's TrafficTrends data isn't as good as IQroutes yet, the admin at gpsreview.net has used a 3700 in LA, and the device didn't slow down nearly enough on predictable LA rush-hour traffic. I'm sure that situation will be rectified in a few months/years as Garmin get's it data up to par.

...the admin at gpsreview.net has used a 3700 in LA, and the device didn't slow down nearly enough on predictable LA rush-hour traffic. I'm sure that situation will be rectified in a few months/years as Garmin get's it data up to par.

Tim's finally got some time with the 3790? I missed his post on that.

Tim's finally got some time with the 3790? I missed his post on that.

You're right. In this thread (4/22 6:29 am), I asked Tim about TrafficTrends, and he responded "My experience with TrafficPatterns is...."

So he was speaking about Navteq then. I misread and assumed he responded to my Garmin-data question. Oh well.

Its July 13th already Has anyone heard anything about the 1000 yet

I agree. I haven't sien a word from Tomtom on the GO 1000 since the initial press event. They announced the Rider Pro / Urban Rider the same day. And those models were just released. But nothing about the GO 1000.

I'm not suggesting the experience with Garmin's version would have been any better. I was really just trying to confirm that Tim has some hand's on time with the new Garmin's. I don't think he has yet. I've seen a very few posts indicating time-sensitive routing differences, but there's certainly not enough yet for me to make any judgement on how effective it is. I'd be shocked if it was already up to par with TomTom's IQR. I suspect they've got quite a bit of work ahead of them.

If Garmin is taking data from all new models from this day forward they'll catch up to TomTom fairly quick imo. One thing thats nice about the Garmin is that it also takes into account the individuals driving although how well that works is still in question.

The same for Traffic Patterns since they are now using the Ovi data for that. Navteq now covers every road in Europe for TrafficPatterns. While their phone base in the US is smaller than Europe it will take longer but at some point the differences will be negligible.

I agree. I haven't sien a word from Tomtom on the GO 1000 since the initial press event. They announced the Rider Pro / Urban Rider the same day. And those models were just released. But nothing about the GO 1000.

I haven't listened to the TT financial conference call yet, but some news reports are now saying the GO 1000 will launch in September. So I assume that date was disclosed verbally by TT in the call.

I haven't listened to the TT financial conference call yet, but some news reports are now saying the GO 1000 will launch in September. So I assume that date was disclosed verbally by TT in the call.

US user. Still glad I grabbed 740TM Live early June and didn't delay waiting for "Summer". More and more I read, I am bothered by loss of usb connection to base unit since I use for two things ((1) recharge and (2) data backup, etc) as well as I hear no microSD provision. Hope more than 2K memory included.

Being pessimistic, I don't think it will be here in time for Xmas shopping season which typicall starts Late Nov. -- Now being early Aug.

The first extensive review of the TomTom 1000 has been posted by the Tomtom-friendly PocketLint. A few potentially good improvements, but low-res display, slow/delayed screen response and odd integration of voice entry might give pause to potential buyers IMO. Still got an 8 out of 10 from them. Sources say this latest from TomTom should start appearing on shelves within two weeks.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/4955/tomtom-go-live-1000-review

Last edited:
Going by the UK price this will come in at under $400 with a free year of Live services - that's based on the review but there is still some question of what the US model will have.

You may wish to look at this thread from a British forum (pocketgpsworld.com) to get an indication of some significant issues the reviewer did NOT mention.

I don't think PocketLint has ever denigrated a TomTom model. I would expect a few "omissions" from their review. PocketGPSWorld is a much more dependable and honest reviewer as far as I'm concerned.

Telling that TomTom didn't advise any of their other reviewers (including PocketGPS) that an advance review was OK'd for PocketLint.

That thread just seems to confirm that people who have had TT's for some time will be unhappy with the product because TT is changing things that they are used to doing with the product. Change is a sometimes scary thing for people set in their ways.

Not having custom poi's will not be a problem if you can use georss or save searches as you could with Dash. Those things are likely to be developed as extensions since this is based on webkit. There are loads of webkit developers out there. Frankly for most things georss is better than a custom poi.

What I see as unanswered is how long before developers are allowed to get in and get started.

But we'll know soon enough won't we?

You may wish to look at this thread from a British forum (pocketgpsworld.com) to get an indication of some significant issues the reviewer did NOT mention.

Change is a sometimes scary thing for people set in their ways.

Far from the major issue with this new device is a worry such as change, custom POI integration is a "must have" on the European devices because the POI files supplied on any TomTom product are, at best, described as pathetic both in accuracy of position and locations covered. OK so you could use the Google Live service via the built in modem the device has got built in to find locations but thats forcing users to pay for a subscription service that currently doesn't work in the UK on any x40 Live product with the latest Navcore installed - Reliability of the Live service isn't described as best, depending upon it isn't something I would be comfortable with.

Next is the screen, you could use this unit in lue of a mirror to have a shave on your way to work when running late, wear a dark shirt and its not too bad, I tend to wear white I guess you can get used to looking at yourself while behind the steering wheel........

A lack of memory card slot for a top end device is yet another black mark, look at the recent ridiculous situation with European maps having to be zoned (chopped up in to smaller chunks) in order to fit a sector of mapping to devices without expansion capability. No way of saying this won't happen again at some future point so no memory card slot is a very poor move.

Even the mount that does get some praise in the thread refered to could be improved if it were available in a Pro-Clip style format, sure the magnets work well.

As for the Web Kit, with no details about what its going to be capable of other than a few hints at what might be possible rather than some rock solid applications that work from day one. Most users of this forum know what level of trust I have for the TomTom Home software, denying me the ability to even back up a device or add/ remove files is one step too far IMHO - Mike

I believe if they take away custom poi that in itself is a change correct? I mean you just wrote a list of changes that you can't live with but you started by saying that people aren't afraid of change?

If you are familiar with georss you can create a search using any maps that support it such as google or mapquest and maybe Bing and access that search anywhere with the results differing based on where you are rather than downloading a static poi that doesn't update itself.

Just ask someone who develops Chrome or Safari extensions what they think they could write for a PND to enhance it.

I guess if it sucks so bad that no one will buy them.

TomTom signed a deal in the US with Localeze who has a database of 14 million poi which allows for updates by businesses. I could swear that TomTom either purchased or signed an agreement not that long ago with a similarly situated company for European POI although a short search just now didn't come up with anything. I have a news feed for TomTom and I remember something late last year or early this year along those same line for Europe so it seems that they are trying to address the poi situation.

Frankly I got the feeling that they are moving to dump Google search somewhere along the line and have their own search for the connected units.

Sorry this is not specific to the 1000 just to address the part about their poi data being insufficient.

"Localeze will provide over 14 million points of interest to TomTom GPSes, beginning in 2011, of which nearly 600,000 have been verified and managed by local businesses themselves.

The listings will be available for location-based applications and personal and in-car navigation systems powered by TomTom digital maps and content, TomTom said. The information will also be provided to application developers and other device manufacturers who use TomTom's digital maps, the companies said."

I see lots of the issues PGPSW reported to have a much bigger UK impact than US impact.

The biggest issues seem to be custom POIs, and lack of direct device filesystem access:

Regarding POIs:

The POIs on full-size US Tomtom maps are very good. I'd say they're on par with the best GPS POIs and directories available. My take is they're only second to Google in coverage/reliability.

I actually see almost none of our members with full-size maps asking about custom POI files, etc. All the requests are from users with reduced-POI maps, and most (maybe all) requests that I've seen are for POIs already present on the full maps.

So bottom line, I don't think the majority of owners would notice if custom POIs weren't available in the USA.

Ditto for speed cameras. In the USA fixed cameras don't help, what American's need are the temporary alerts (eg: Trapster). So custom POIs don't help there.

And direct device access:

First off, Tomtom had no choice here. Part of the Microsoft FAT32 settlement was an agreement for Tomtom to abandon FAT32 within 2 years. Looks like they did it on the GO1000.

Also, with mention of a Tomtom app store, I think Tomtom is trying to lock down the app-loading process. Since Tomtom is so buddy-buddy with Apple, my guess is that their app-store will be a closed commission-based one like Apple's is. PGPSW will probably be able to sell their speedcam database through the app store (but TT will take a cut).

The biggest loss: without direct device access, we won't be able to help much on this forum. If the Tomtom breaks, it'll be pin reset, master reset, then warranty swap. Pretty much the same script that phone support gives.

Last edited:
I disagree with mvl's take on custom pois

For example, for Canadians, Tim Hortons (coffee & donuts) is a religion, not a restaurant.....:)

The company is enlightened enough to provide a link on its website to download all its locations, North American wide, in poi format for various brands, including TomToms..

I have dutifully copied my custom set to every map on every model I have. I like the convenience of seeing actual TH bmp's on route and elsewhere on my map than having to navigate to poi-->search-->type in some letters to find a Tim's and start scrolling to see the actual location relative to me. It's just not as convenient (or accurate).

The same with the brands folder in North American and USA_Canada maps. The only specifc gasoline icon that matches American brands is Shell, of which very few remain up here. I want to see icons for the brands here, not generic symbols.

And there are other custom pois I rely upon, such as specific ATM's for my bank. Same argument for this type.

Further, as you may be aware, TomTom's mapping consideration of Canadian data vis-a-vis Advanced Lane Guidance and Reality View was essentially nil till version 845 of the maps. Well, the quality of poi data around here is still not great as of 850 & I have my doubts it'll be much better in 855. Maybe it's better for American categories, I don't know.

As well, how many posts have we made advising users to make a custom poi file for their favourites rather than using the (limited to 48) favourites category? Lots and lots.

Nope, the lack of custom poi sets would be a deal breaker.

Remember, we don't have Live services here to enhance the possibility of finding accurate locations of pois using Google's search.

Ask a Question