New and Unwelcome 8.3 Glitch - Reboots

canderson

TomTom Model(s)
GO720, GO740, GO 1535, Via 1535, Via 1605, GO 52, GO 600, GO 620, GO 630, GO Discover, TomTom Bridge
Since installing 8.3 with all of its other idiosyncratic behavior, I've found a new issue that didn't crop up immediately, but seems to be increasing in frequency -- spontaneous reboots. I look down, and there's the TomTom startup screen, and the unit is asking whether I "Agree" to its terms and conditions.

Further, when I fired the unit up this evening to come home, it pops up with a green screen I've never seen before and advises that I probably have a new free map awaiting me at TomTom. WTF? Were it only true. A quick connect with TTHome put that myth to rest.

No question - it's back to 8.010 this weekend, and I don't care how cool the new features are (I can live without lane change data and 8GB SD cards, and I'm in no mood to pitch for the new maps that will likely be obsolete in another 45 days), I'm through with 8.3.

You may be interested in this link here about a free map.
Interested insofar as "Misery loves company". Thanks for the link. Surprised we haven't seen that mentioned here as yet.

Perhaps when I add to my existing bug ticket on Monday I'll make a request for my "probably free map" and see what kind of chuckle I get out of the tech support folks.

I don't care how cool the new features are (I can live without lane change data and 8GB SD cards, .

About the SD cards.

Just so everyone knowns.

For everyone that is rolling back from 8.3....you will still have the SD card support for cards over 4GB.

Because the this improvement / fix is controled by the bootloader.

The bootloader is / was upgraded when 8.3 is / was installed.

Once a bootloader is upgraded it cannot be downgraded....so this means you will still have the new support of the larger SD cards....even when you rollback the navcore.

Once a bootloader is upgraded it cannot be downgraded....so this means you will still have the new support of the larger SD cards....even when you rollback the navcore.
Guess that's good and bad news. Good that even with my old 7.4.whatever firmware (couldn't find a copy of 8.010 that would load), an 8GB card should work. Bad that the bootloader may be at the root of my latest rebooting problem. I'm still getting the reboots even after reverting back to 7.4.whatever firmware. Crap.

Some suggest making a complete Explorer backup (hidden files/folders showing), reformat the internal of the unit and restoring.

Just a suggestion.

Some suggest making a complete Explorer backup (hidden files/folders showing), reformat the internal of the unit and restoring.

Just a suggestion.
Easily enough done, and wouldn't have considered it for this symptom. Thanks. Started after the 8.3 business, so there's still a strong circumstantial case that there's something leftover after reverting to the prior version. I probably should have just done the full Explorer copy back to the unit. Have never had reason to do that to "recover" from anything. Seems to me that a format/overlay with prior set of files and folders should return things to their previous state, yes? I tried copying most of the personally configurable stuff back over, and found myself without Bluetooth connections, etc., even though I know where that stuff is stored. Odd.

even if you do a complete format and reinstall the navcore ( any version )

you will still have the updated bootloader....as stated before....

Once a bootloader is upgraded it cannot be downgraded....so this means you will still have the new support of the larger SD cards.

Ask a Question