latest map update for XL350TM has major glitch?

TomTom Model(s)
XL350TM
I just foolishly updated the latest map for North Amer (w/o backing up my old version) and my TT just keeps resetting. I even pressed the 'reset' button to no avail. There seems to be a major glitch that does not even allow me to enter into the menus, e.g. I press an icon and the TT just keeps rebooting.

Pls help on my options.

Out of curiosity, what was the previous update to this one? My latest backup was back in Feb 2011. Thx.

I'm just restoring the <USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P> folder: good idea or should I restore everything?

Last edited:
Don't restore!

Are you saying you DID update to ther 875 map?

If so, connect your unit to Home. Run the emulator (Operate mu Unit). Plan a trip. Make sure that Canada is showing in the upper right when you are in the city screen. Complete the route.

Disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

See if your unit boots properly now.

Don't restore!

Are you saying you DID update to ther 875 map?

If so, connect your unit to Home. Run the emulator (Operate mu Unit). Plan a trip. Make sure that Canada is showing in the upper right when you are in the city screen. Complete the route.

Disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

See if your unit boots properly now.

I updated to their latest North Amer map update: I then tried it but the screen just froze; I tried to press 'reset' a few times but still didn't work.

I then tried to restore the backed-up folders from back in Feb 2011 but now the menu doesn't even open: it only shows the 'TomTom' opening screen.

Not sure what to do now. The TT Home still recognizes it though: should I just update again to their latest North Amer map update? I think that I didn't do my restoring properly?

I tried to run the demo but after going through the menus, it was searching then it says "no usable locations near GPS location"?

EDIT: ok, figured it out, I set the origin location then planned a trip.

EDIT#2: dhn, you are AMAZING. Thanks for the fix!!!!

I am glad I found this thread I updated my xl 310 and it started to freeze up as well. Running it using tt home fixed it. There must be a problem with the update.

Just wondering if the fix didn't work, how come my backup didn't restore my TT (it actually made it worse): how should I have properly backed-up my data and restored it, in case a similar situation arises? Thx.

What happened (or didn't happen) that you say it didn't work?

I then tried to restore the backed-up folders from back in Feb 2011 but now the menu doesn't even open: it only shows the 'TomTom' opening screen.

Not sure what to do now. The TT Home still recognizes it though: should I just update again to their latest North Amer map update? I think that I didn't do my restoring properly?

That's what happened...I tried to restore via Windows Explorer.

If you did download the 875 map, it'll be here in compressed format:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

See if indeed it is there.

IF so...........

1. Connect your unit to the computer
2. Use Explorer to delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents
3. Connect to Home and you should be offered an application. Install it.
4. Close Home.
5. Go here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html and use the information there to install your 875 map.

^Thx. Luckily your fix worked, I'm just not sure why my restoring didn't (before I got your fix): isn't just copy/paste of my backup files from my comp to the TT drive?

If you did download the 875 map, it'll be here in compressed format:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

It has the <USA__Canada___Mexico> end folder (but doesn't say "875" anywhere) and whenever I load up TT Home, it doesn't ask me to update to the latest map, so does that mean I have the 875 (I guess that's the latest one)?

If you tap the satellite bars on your unit, the next screen shows the application installed. Tap the version number and the following screen shows the map installed and its version.

r way to confirm is to connect the unit to the computer. Use Explorer to look at the contents of the USA_Canada map folder. One of the files will be something like USA_Canada.pna Click on it to open (such as with Notepad) and the end of the first line will show the version number of the map.

Ask a Question