Want to install two (2) maps in my Tom Tom XL ....... will this work ?

Hi all

My first post here.

I have a Tom Tom XL with 1gig of internal memory - no SD slot.

I want to install 2 maps I have - the Ver 8.30 Australia map is ~90mb and the Ver 8.30 USA+Canada map is ~880mb.

My question is this:-

-> if I format the Tom Tom and only re-install the abolute basic minumum Application and 1 x TTS voice, will it fit the 2 maps which total ~970mb in size ?

If the above is no go:-

-> is there a way or utility to reduce the size of the USA+Canada map by, for example, deleting certain states in the USA map ?

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
Trying to install 2 maps may be a squeeze but ask yourself, when would you need both available at the same time?

Exactly..............;)

So, you can copy the Oz map to your computer and delete it from the card and then install the US map.

When you need the Aussie map, just move the US map folder to the computer and copy back the Australia map.

While there are files in the US map that could be stripped, you can't actually save space by deleting states themselves.

Hi dhn

That is certainly what I will do *if* I cant install the 2 maps.

So ..... can you please advise:-

-> if I format the Tom Tom and only re-install the absolute basic minumum Application and 1 x TTS voice, will it fit the 2 maps which total ~970mb in size ?

Thanks,
Ben

In theory, yes......

BUT, a 1 gig drive space isn't really 1 gig, it's some megs less. Also, besides the two maps, you still need space for the application as well plus some other stuff.

The only way is to try and find out........

When you buy a map from TT, it is first dl to your computer and then installed. So, install the larger map and then try to install the smaller one. If there is insufficient room, Home will let you know.

As I said, if there isn't room for two maps, then install the one you need at the time and keep the other on the computer.

Ok then - is there any reason this wont work ?

I have D/L the 8.30 USA / Canada Map.and it is ~870meg - if I leave the AUS Map on, and delete all the unneeded voices, I have ~780meg free.

The good news is that (i) the USA Map contains a ~97meg poi.dat file and (ii) the AUS Map contains a ~11meg poi.dat file - a total of ~108meg un-needed files

So.... my theory is this

- I delete the poi.dat file from the USA / Canada Map & the AUS Map [ I dont care about points of interest ]
- re-load the "poi-free" AUS Map
- re-load the "poi-free" USA/Canada Map

Result - both Maps are loaded and I still have ~approx. ~55meg for memory free [ the only other files I deleted were the voice files I dont use ] and ~55meg is plenty of space for storing Favouties, Routes etc....

Am I right in saying that by removing the POI files, the Maps will still work perfectly except that no POI's can be referenced ?

Ben

That is my understanding but one benefit of any gps IS the ability to use pois. Again, I don't understand your reluctance to only have one map on the unit at a time. It's not like you can use both in the same session.

To me, deleting the POI files is sort of a scary thing and not a smart thing to do. There have been MANY times where I have tried to enter an address of business/restaurant, etc, and the device will not accept the address no matter what I try. The only other way to find that business is to look through the POI database, which 99% of the time, I will find it in there. A good example is when I had to drive to a CVS store to replace their network equipment. I typed in the address EXACTLY as it is listed on their site, but the TomTom claims no such address exsists.

As dhn said, there is seriously no point on having both maps on there at the same time. You may end up having trouble in the future. Your best bet is to simply move one map off of the unit using windows explorer which is extremely easy. It's as simple as just dragging/moving the map folder off/on to the device. Having the unit in its current state, you are not taking advantage of the units full capabilities.

Again, there is no use on keeping both maps on there at the same time unless you don't own a computer, and your access to any computer is VERY limited.

If I were ben_ifin, I would go ahead doing what his theory is. Works perfectly, works with glitches, not working, totally screwup, ......... I will learn from it and I will let you guys know how the result is.
Just talking/planning all theories w/o actually practicing is pretty much ........ useless.

To ben_ifin,
why don't you just go ahead and try out. Please come back and let us know how it turns out, either good or bad, we shall hear you.

To ben_ifin,
why don't you just go ahead and try out. Please come back and let us know how it turns out, either good or bad, we shall hear you.

Result - both Maps are loaded and I still have ~approx. ~55meg for memory free [ the only other files I deleted were the voice files I dont use ] and ~55meg is plenty of space for storing Favouties, Routes etc....

Ben

He mentioned what the result is :p

Just for future reference. 1024 meg = 1 gig (per most memory manufactures). The 1 gig tomtom's will have anywhere from 1024 meg to 1100 meg. Mine has 1068.2 meg total...

Ask a Question