Tomtom 8275 Pro. US & Canada default maps. How to install other country maps?

Discussion in 'General TomTom Discussion' started by rubygoldie, Jul 20, 2019.

1. rubygoldie

rubygoldie

TomTom Model(s):
    Tomtom 6200, Bridge, 8275
    Hi. Im new to this forum, but have had various Tomtom devices for over 10 years, with Tomtom go 300 as my first device.

I am based in Australia. Just purchased a Tomtom pro 8275 from Ebay US with default US & Canada maps. I am trying to install Australia maps onto the device but have not been successful. I have tried downloading the maps to an SD card to install, but the device does not recognise the files. I have also tried installing the Tomtom Go Andriod App but that did not work either.

On on the Tomtom official website it says this device is unable to use maps from different regions.

Anyone has been able to find an alternative way to get a different region map installed on the Tomtom 8275?

rubygoldie, Jul 20, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. rubygoldie

dhn Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    1535 LIVE; Via 1605; Go 50; Go 520
    I am not acquainted with a model 8275. Where are you getting the additional maps from? Perhaps someone else will have information you can use. Check back.

dhn, Jul 20, 2019
    1. Advertisements

3. rubygoldie

rubygoldie

TomTom Model(s):
    Tomtom 6200, Bridge, 8275
    Hi dhn,

Im getting the maps as an update file downloaded into an sd card, from Tomtom Telematics Australia. Apparently the 8275 is a telematics model that is supported on a separate website different from the normal Tomtom website.

rubygoldie, Jul 20, 2019
  4. rubygoldie

canderson Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    GO720 GO 740 GO1535 GO1605 VIA1535 GO 600
    That device is what we call a TomTom "Bridge" unit, Yes, it's supported in an entirely different way than any of the consumer devices.

It is an Android based device that supports what are called NDS maps, also unlike consumer devices.
    You've actually seen one, David. It's what I brought to Hamilton to show you that morning at Timmy's.

Nominally, the fleet manager of the business that deploys these units is in charge of distribution of new firmware, maps and other updates. The packages are created on the fleet manager's corporate server and distributed via WiFi or USB connection, or even by cellular if the particular Bridge device in question supports that..

On the Bridge unit, you would normally select the app called "Software update" and it would go out looking for any available package from the company's server. Where it looks is dependent upon a file in the root of the device called "update-locations". If you can supply the content of that file (it will be pretty short, and is in human readable text), we should be able to identify where it comes from.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    canderson, Jul 20, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question