My TomTom, Maps 8.95 will not install

We all know how effective the official TomTom forums are... I have a TomTom Via 1530 (versions at end of post, but up to date as per My TomTom), with map version 8.85, and I attempted to install the 8.95 maps from a few days ago. I performed the standard TomTom rituals - two PCs, different browsers, drumroll reboots of device, etc., and it still will not update.

There are three folks experiencing this issue at the TT forums I'm going to quote the initial user who posted this because he is very clear:

"I click the "install" button and it tells me that there is not enough space on my device. Do I want to add a memory card or replace the map currently installed. I choose to replace the map currently installed. It asks me to confirm that I want to replace map version 8.90 with 8.95, and I click "OK" again. But the application does nothing, just returns to the state it was in before, showing the "Install" button for version 8.95 and the "on your device" indicator for 8.90."

Of course, for me the "on your device" is different since I have 8.85. I also installed and formatted a 2 GB card with the same result (aside from it telling me I don't have space). The user with the initial post created a page with screenshots of what is occurring.

My question(s) for the gurus here:
  1. Are there log files or a way to turn on logging for My TomTom?
  2. Has anyone else experienced this?
  3. Is there any way to install the maps manually?

Versions of the system/maps on the 1530:
App 12.035.991250.84
OS 981015
GPS 2.18.903
Boot 642776
Map: USA_Canada v885.4102, Release Date: 1/2012

First of all, if you are planning to use a card, it needs to be sdhc, not sd card. Next it should be at least 4 gb if not 8 gb in size, the faster the class (6+) the better.

Now, most importantly, once you do have such a micro sdhc card that fits the specs, you insert it into the 1535 and the unit should recognize it AND offer to format it. You MUST say yes for it to work in the device.

Once all that is done, then connect to MyTomTom and see how the download experience goes..........

@dhn
By adding the uSD card, the OP may well wind up with both the old 885 and new 895 maps loaded and separately selectable that way, which isn't a disaster, but this points again to a problem where the system does not recognize that the new map being offered should be an overlay of the old map. 895 isn't that much bigger than 885, so I doubt the OP is actually out of room -- I suspect MyTT is trying to load 895 side by side with 885 instead of overlaying it. Seems we have seen this happen before elsewhere?

@StevePgh
When you go to "Manage Content" in MyTT, do you see your 885 map shown there in your 'inventory' as "On device" along with the 895 map in your "Account", or ??? IF your 885 map shows up in your inventory as on your device, by any chance do you see a "Remove" button next to that entry?

@dhn - My bad on the post, it was actually a 4 GB SDHC card that I ultimately used (I did start with a 2 GB before realizing the map would not fit on it :), and the TomTom formatted it, and it shows up in My TomTom as storage space. I'm not sure of the class of it, as it is the GPS my wife uses, and thus currently has.

@canderson - 8.85 shows as being on "My Device" without a "Remove" button, and 8.95 shows as "My Account". It did ask if I wanted to replace it (with no SDHC card) but only briefly showed 'installing' before going back to the screen as it was before pressing anything. As for the difference in size - the device has plenty of room for 8.95, assuming the space taken by 8.85 was reclaimed. I merely installed the SDHC card thinking there was a problem with the remove-and-install process, but it does not seem to work either way.

All - It also appears that nothing is actually downloaded to the cache folder. I wonder if there is actually an issue with downloading the maps, as I have not seen this issue on other forums and seems to be an issue starting on Sunday. Hard to hazard a guess without log files or error messages.

Sounds like you've been keeping tabs on this.
With the 4GB uSD card installed and formatted, I would have expected MyTT to go ahead and download the file. If you are saying that there are no large files located in C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\Local Settings\Application Data\TomTom\HOME3\cache then I would agree that nothing has been downloaded so far. Also would help to know if you are configured for "Cache large content items" (the checkbox) in "Settings / Cache" in MyTT.

If there is a cache-status.xml file there in your cache folder (and there should be, regardless), it would be worth opening that in your favorite word processor to see what kind of activity has been recorded there. It's a log of sorts of the movement of files my MyTT. Unless it is empty, if you could copy/paste what you find there, it might be of some value in looking at your problem.

I do have caching enabled.

On my main PC, where I normally update the device, there are older app update files, plus what is probably a mapshare correction in the folder, but nothing large enough to be a map. I did not dig into that xml file and am at work so I can't check.

On the 'clean' PC that I also tested this on (no previous TomTom software), there was nothing but an empty XML file as cache-status.xml, root element was 'url', I believe, but no entries.

Potential FIX!

We all know how effective the official TomTom forums are... I have a TomTom Via 1530 (versions at end of post, but up to date as per My TomTom), with map version 8.85, and I attempted to install the 8.95 maps from a few days ago. I performed the standard TomTom rituals - two PCs, different browsers, drumroll reboots of device, etc., and it still will not update.

There are three folks experiencing this issue at the TT forums I'm going to quote the initial user who posted this because he is very clear:

"I click the "install" button and it tells me that there is not enough space on my device. Do I want to add a memory card or replace the map currently installed. I choose to replace the map currently installed. It asks me to confirm that I want to replace map version 8.90 with 8.95, and I click "OK" again. But the application does nothing, just returns to the state it was in before, showing the "Install" button for version 8.95 and the "on your device" indicator for 8.90."

Of course, for me the "on your device" is different since I have 8.85. I also installed and formatted a 2 GB card with the same result (aside from it telling me I don't have space). The user with the initial post created a page with screenshots of what is occurring.

My question(s) for the gurus here:
  1. Are there log files or a way to turn on logging for My TomTom?
  2. Has anyone else experienced this?
  3. Is there any way to install the maps manually?

Versions of the system/maps on the 1530:
App 12.035.991250.84
OS 981015
GPS 2.18.903
Boot 642776
Map: USA_Canada v885.4102, Release Date: 1/2012

Hi,

I too have struggled with this same issue for many months! lol. Though, I think I finally found an actual solution. Well, I have a different GPS system, but it utilizes the "fragile" MyTomTom application. And it should still apply to your situation. Anyhow, I tried almost everything to get this darn thing to update (from 8.80 to 8.95)... different browsers, deleting cache directories, various PC's; but nothing worked. It gave me the same exact status, i.e., 'not enough space', and attempting to install just sat there doing nothing.

Well, after really thinking this out, I remembered that I used to have a different device registered with my account. Though, my current device still updated when I first added it. So, what I did to fix it.... and believe me, it is so simple!

Basically, every MyTomTom account is allowed only one device. One device = one account; and also only one email address. So what I did was, created a new account with a different email address. When I first logged in to that new account, it detected my GPS (Sony BT Car TomTom), and asked me if I wanted to link it. I selected "Link my device", and it completed successfully. Hooray!! After going to the My Content tab, it still showed my current map version was 8.80 though, and no new update was found??? Then I recalled that I had to use an activation code for my "12-months of free map updates". I went to the activation code section, but it kept telling me that the code was invalid. Also, I actually had to call TomTom before regarding my wife's GPS once because of this same issue. But, I wasn't going to call them again. :mad:

So now I logged off, and logged back into my old "original" MyTomTom account (WITH THE DEVICE PLUGGED IN THE ENTIRE TIME), and the first thing that came up was "do you want to link this device". So I selected yes, of course, and I think it almost "re-registered" my account/device, and found a "new" map update = 8.95!! I hit the install button, and it began to download. I was weary at this point because it may just render the same results as before, but after the download was done, the actual MyTomTom application started to update the device!! I now have the most current map (8.95). :thumb:

Long story short... every account (with an associated email address) can only have one single linked device. So in a nutshell, I simply created a new account | linked the device | logged back into my original account | and linked it again. All while the device was plugged in. Problem solved!! Now, this may not resolve your current issue, but it's worth a shot. And it's such a simple solution.

Please give that a try, and respond back!!

Hope it helps!! :)

js042507: excellent idea to avoid calling TT support. My issue was two devices on one account. I use both devices. They reset my one account and readded lifetime maps to it. Which then broke my other account, as I find out one map update later. They fixed that, and DELETED the other account that was working fine. We'll see in one more quarter if that really fixed the issue or just delayed it a few months.

00:22 UK time, Western Europe map is downloading to my XL LIVE

Ask a Question