Verizon and the Rider 2

Good day all,
I'm new to the site, and the whole GPS concept. I took my list from tomtom to the Verizon store, and they tell me that those phones are sprint, at&t, etc. The phone on the list that are Verizon are not carried by them anymore?
My phone now SCH-U540 Samsung works VERY LITTLE, maybe 5% of the time. Does anybody else have a Verizon phone that works with the Rider 2?
My phone contract is up for renewal, I would like to stay with my current provider?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I checked the search function, but I'm not that tech savvy.

Shannon

Okay,
Could someone tell me which phone works well with the Rider 2? Making and receiving calls. I'm not too interested in "plus" services.
Thanks,

Shannon

I don't see any here:

http://www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility/

that are also on Verizon's website. The samsung SCH-U470 is compatible with other Tomtom models, not the RIDER.

Tomtom is a european company, and europe is GSM-phone land. You'll find lots of compatible phones with AT&T/tmobile. You'll have a tough time with CDMA companies like Verizon and Sprint.

Thanks, so I guess I'll just switch companies. That is what I was thinking, but wanted to hear from people who knew more about CDMA or what ever that term I keep seeing.

If you really like verizon, you could test out the SCH-U470 in a store with your rider. Just because tomtom hasn't approved something doesn't mean it does't work.

If it works, then by the end of the 2 year contract expiration, Verizon may be on "4G LTI". In 4G world, GSM and CDMA merge so all the phones would likely be tomtom compatible.

Also, Verizon is half owned by Vodafone, which runs Tomtom's HD traffic in Europe. Once 4G comes out, I would suspect Verizon will become tomtom's preferred cell phone vendor.

I do really like Verizon, but I'm planning on taking several trips this year with my bike, and maybe I'm just a little giddy over being able to receive calls, etc. My current phone connects by itself, every time I get on the bike, and I'm able to make a call here and there, as well as receive them. It's pretty cool.

Thanks again. I'm wondering if I'm not doing something wrong?
As stated earlier, I'm not very tech savvy. I have made and received calls a few times with it, and when I did, transmission/reception was actually pretty good. Today, I'm going down the interstate, "ring-ring" through my headset, I push the button to accept the call.........nothing. When I call out, the GPS units shows that the number is being called, but I don't hear anything. The GPS shows that I'm "hooked up" to the headset and the phone. Am I missing something, maybe needing to do something to my phone settings?
The rider 2 says each time I get on my bike, that the phone is connected.
Thanks all.

Shannon
Virginia

Ask a Question