Upgrade to 740TM?

I currently own a GO 730 and my traffic and maps have expired. I have a 30% off coupon and can get a GO 740TM LIVE for $203 + shipping. I would be paying $100 to update traffic and maps, so I'd really be only paying $103 for the unit. Would it be worth it to upgrade? I'm currently using the TMC receiver with the 730 (with the funky plug). How does this traffic compare to Live traffic?

Any and all opinions are appreciated!

I currently own a GO 730 and my traffic and maps have expired. I have a 30% off coupon and can get a GO 740TM LIVE for $203 + shipping. I would be paying $100 to update traffic and maps, so I'd really be only paying $103 for the unit. Would it be worth it to upgrade? I'm currently using the TMC receiver with the 730 (with the funky plug). How does this traffic compare to Live traffic?

Any and all opinions are appreciated!
When operational, the Live traffic seems to have more recent and complete data than the TMC in the towns where I had a chance to make the comparison. You don't say where you're from, so can't speak to your specific situation.

If you've been paying for upgrades for your 730 maps and planned to continue to do so, and really want the improved traffic, it'd be hard to beat the deal you're getting. Wish we all could!

Where'd you get that nifty coupon??? That takes the price down a bunch from $290.

There ARE some features you could lose going to the 740, so beware. As an example, the 740 has no 1/8" audio out plug. That requires a dock they don't sell in the U.S. (although you can find them here - plenty of gray market activity). You also lose the FM. You lose MP3 unless you go with 3rd party software to play it. If those don't bother you, it's a great deal.

Well, I do use MP3 via Bluetooth to my head unit, but I suppose I could use an old Blackberry Curve to be a MP3 player instead. :) So it has NO MP3 capability whatsoever? And when you say third party, I'm assuming you mean something you load and run via the console or does it appear like a regular option on the menu?

I was part of a TT marketing campaign and got the 30% off coupon as a "thank you".

Well, I do use MP3 via Bluetooth to my head unit, but I suppose I could use an old Blackberry Curve to be a MP3 player instead. :) So it has NO MP3 capability whatsoever?
That's correct. Unlike your previous model, there isn't an MP3 player included. However, there are 3rd party applications that would give you that functionality back. Although a bit of overkill (do you need movies on your 740?:p) I can vouch for the quality of the work done at Mobilnova - TomTom Media Center with TomTom MP3 player, TomTom Video player and video converter, TomTom PDF Reader, TomTom picture viewer and TomTom games support from experience on my own unit.

There's also a freebie around somewhere that I haven't tried personally. No doubt someone will be able to comment on how it's working/not with the newer Navcore versions.

That's correct. Unlike your previous model, there isn't an MP3 player included. However, there are 3rd party applications that would give you that functionality back. Although a bit of overkill (do you need movies on your 740?:p) I can vouch for the quality of the work done at Mobilnova - TomTom Media Center with TomTom MP3 player, TomTom Video player and video converter, TomTom PDF Reader, TomTom picture viewer and TomTom games support from experience on my own unit.

There's also a freebie around somewhere that I haven't tried personally. No doubt someone will be able to comment on how it's working/not with the newer Navcore versions.

Wouldn't it be better if you can get hold of a 940 instead of the 740?

I guess it would be slightly more expensive - but is it available over in USA at all? Here I got it from Amazon Marketplace.

The 940 has MP3 player and FM - though I still miss the headphone socket that I had on my old Garmin.

Wouldn't it be better if you can get hold of a 940 instead of the 740?

I guess it would be slightly more expensive - but is it available over in USA at all?
Nope... and we're still mystified (over here) about some of TomTom's marketing and sales moves over the period of the last year.

If you run across a 940 here, it's gray market only.

Ask a Question