upgrade is jerky

TomTom Model(s)
tt720 and tt920
I have the 920 TT. I have upgraded to map 8.15 and 8.3 firmware. since I have done this the map is very slow, jerky, the voice comes in late because it is so slow. The streets are about a block behind at times. I have found the car goes way off the map at times- I dont know the term for this- wandering? I have loaded several quickfix and map updates for no help. I have also done a pin reset and clear flash. Should I wait for a fix or just reload a previous version?

Last edited:
A lot of users have experiences a slower response time on their TT after the 8.30 firmware. It might be due to the decrease of ram, but no one knows. The only thing I can say is that there is some problems with the 8.30 firmware and you might consider rolling back to 8.10 app(if you got the backup)
or, if you want, you can wait for another upgrade, which no one knows when it will be out.

Thanks for the quick reply. I just don't want to be alone in the boat. I just hope tomtom knows about it and is trying to fix it. It deflates your bubble when your device is really cool and you tell everybody to buy one and then it lets you down. I will wait and see what happens. It seems to me that they are trying to put more bells and whistles in their product and forgetting that it is a gps device to get you where you want to go. When it stops doing what is is made for, you look for a different product.

I updated my 920 to 8.3 and have the same issues you listed. I also find the computer voice stutters and can't keep up with the map. The human voice does not exibit this problem.

Again -if you are using Susan Computer - try another one.

If you both installed 8.3 and installed map 815, you have a problem. You may not be able to use map 815 without 8.3. Users that have map versions 810 or earlier are rolling back to earlier applications, but if you paid for 815 - it hurts.

In any case (you paid for it or you got a map guarantee update) - consider also rolling back to the earlier map if the different computer voice does not fix it. But to do this, you need to have made a backup or copy of the older map.

They are certainly working on 8.3 to fix the bugs, and you could upgrade to it again when it is fixed.

Note - if you do, you have to both delete the 8.3 (if it is still on your device) from your device and 8.3 from the application download folder in Home - or it will simply re-install the defective 8.3 again.

Again -if you are using Susan Computer - try another one.

If you both installed 8.3 and installed map 815, you have a problem. You may not be able to use map 815 without 8.3. Users that have map versions 810 or earlier are rolling back to earlier applications, but if you paid for 815 - it hurts.

In any case (you paid for it or you got a map guarantee update) - consider also rolling back to the earlier map if the different computer voice does not fix it. But to do this, you need to have made a backup or copy of the older map.

They are certainly working on 8.3 to fix the bugs, and you could upgrade to it again when it is fixed.

Note - if you do, you have to both delete the 8.3 (if it is still on your device) from your device and 8.3 from the application download folder in Home - or it will simply re-install the defective 8.3 again.

No problem really, just go to V7 Loquendo TTS and all will be well.

Links on the 720 forum.

Had the same problem. Rolled back to 8.1 and everything is fine. I'm not going to upgrade again until I hear that the problems are fixed.

Tt 920 / 8.3 / 815

I updated my 920 to 8.3 and then the maps 8.15 and all is working very well. I am using Susan as the voice. Everything went smoothly with the upgrade.

I don't have a 920 but the same thing happened when I upgraded my One. I finally figured out that after the update, it had all of my POI's showing up on the map. Once I turned them off (except for gas stations) everything was back to normal.

I updated my 920 to 8.3 and have the same issues you listed. I also find the computer voice stutters and can't keep up with the map. The human voice does not exibit this problem.

I am having the same stuttering problem since the update as well

I am also have massive issue with the new firmware, dont know why that killed my gps, in its current form, it is not usable as a GPS or as a Navigation device. It is now a lamp to light up.

I dont understand how they could release an update that kills the system.

Mine likes to do the following.

Stuter when giving directions,

Speed camera POIs fail to show.

showing the car 15-150 meters to the west(and oddly the east) of the actual road(so no navi help here) and its very bad when on the autobhan and there is a slow b-road to the right of you, speed warnings due to it thinking you are heading east to west on a b-road not north to south on the Autobahn.

Failing to show speed when moving

failing to show stopped when stopped (some times it still shows me driving for 25 seconds after parking the car (not gps shudder moving, but turning down the next street(one time 150meters or so to the north of me(the wrong way on a one way street to boot))

I have not upgraded to the new maps, but this thread leads me to belive that, that might be a bad idea. Any one with an eta on a new, newer firmware?

Try a soft reboot (pin reset) on your unit. Also, when was the last gpsquickfix you dl to your unit?

I am also have massive issue with the new firmware, dont know why that killed my gps, in its current form, it is not usable as a GPS or as a Navigation device. It is now a lamp to light up.

I dont understand how they could release an update that kills the system.

Mine likes to do the following.

Stuter when giving directions,

Speed camera POIs fail to show.

showing the car 15-150 meters to the west(and oddly the east) of the actual road(so no navi help here) and its very bad when on the autobhan and there is a slow b-road to the right of you, speed warnings due to it thinking you are heading east to west on a b-road not north to south on the Autobahn.

Failing to show speed when moving

failing to show stopped when stopped (some times it still shows me driving for 25 seconds after parking the car (not gps shudder moving, but turning down the next street(one time 150meters or so to the north of me(the wrong way on a one way street to boot))

I have not upgraded to the new maps, but this thread leads me to belive that, that might be a bad idea. Any one with an eta on a new, newer firmware?

here is something you might want to try with your 920 T
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modul...opic&t=72221&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Last edited:
8.3 with 815 North america

Just wanted to give a WARNING Do not go backward with maps or applications. DO NOT LISTEN TO TECH SUPPORT FOR THEIR CURES. Application 8.3 is horrible. Besides the voice problem which can be minimized by making sure you are FULLy CHARGED. But this is not a fix. Problems such as now you have to go the the catagory FIRST to put in a search word. Going to POI nearby for search words do not list much. Copying mapsettings.config to keep favorites may not work. Copying full phone books on approved cell phones may not be possible. Also when the next turn is listed and has alot of words the font size goes down to a #2 where you need a magnifing glass to read it. If you do go back chances are you will get a looping problem or a frozen picture. Also alot of start up pictures will not work with the 8.3. Even if you format to fat 32 and re add your programs from tomtom home it will not solve your problems. VERY SIMPLY WAIT FOR SOME UPDATE TO THE 8.3 WHENEVER IT MAY BE. But be warned if you listen to the tech support people and go backward plan on spending about 12 Hours to get back what you originally started. Don't do it!!!!! These are the problems I encountered with my 920 unit

Which is why we always suggest a full Explorer backup prior to the updating of any firmware change.

Ver 8.3 with N_A 8.15 maps

I too have wasted much time in attempting to "fix" the problem with Boston Customer Service. I,m not a rocket guy, but I know more than at least 3 so called tech reps at Tomtom USA. I have 2 920s one refurb newly purchased.
Am back to 7.41 and 7.2xx maps and waiting for the software "fix". I've read that this fix is out as ver 8.320, but cannot find it.

Any help appreciated.

Infama, my understanding is that the firmware you provided a link for is for TomTom WORK and, unfortunately, I saw one poster who installed said it had NOT cured either the stuttering or the map lag.

Do you have a different experience, especially since the firmware has NOT been officially released by TT?

Ask a Question