Updating maps to Western Europe/Italy...what should I do?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One 3rd Edition
Hi everyone. I'm planning on visiting Italy in a couple of weeks so I thought I'd update my One 3rd edition with some new maps. Now since I can't have both sets of maps at the same time I know that I'm going to have to delete the North American one. Question is, is this something that the Home program will prompt me to do or should I do it separately myself before ordering the maps? And for that matter, should I do the backup procedure or just copy the entire contents of my TT to a folder on my computer?

Oh and if anyone knows, should I get the western Europe maps or just the Italy? I noticed that Italy was included in the former one but was curious if the stand alone Italy one has more details.

Thanks everyone!

LoboTiger

It is true that you will have to make room on your unit for the new map. But instead of using 'Home', use Windows Explorer.

When you connect your unit to the computer, shut down Home if it starts up. Using Windows Explorer, you will see your TomTom as an external hard drive.

The map is contained in its own folder which is easy to recognize by it's name. Copy the entire map folder to your computer hard drive. Once this is done, you can delete the map folder from the TomTom.

You now have the space to be able to download and install the new map. You will, of course, use the Home program for this task.

As for the question of which map is preferable, I have read on a British-based forum that the Western Europe map for the ONE has been stripped a bit to make it fit. You might be better off with the single country Italy map. You will have to weigh this against whether you think you will ever make future trips to other countries.

After your trip, copy the Italy map to your hard drive and copy the USA_Canada map back to your unit. (Burn the maps on to a blank DVD for safe keeping.)

Last edited:
i would od basically what 46jimbo suggested to carefully backup and save the maps. However, after using Windows explorer to save everything, you could use Home to copy the maps to your computer and then use Home to reinstall them. I have done this a number of times.

You would still back everything up with Windows explorr first.

Ask a Question