Update maps procedure

Is there a correct way to update maps? I have a XXL 540TM and I was wondering if you have to uninstall the existing maps before you update and intstall the new maps? Because my XXL hasfixed internal memory, is this a needed step to make room for the update?

Is there a correct way to update maps? I have a XXL 540TM and I was wondering if you have to uninstall the existing maps before you update and intstall the new maps? Because my XXL hasfixed internal memory, is this a needed step to make room for the update?
No need to delete anything - Home takes care of the replacing of one map set with the new one.

One thing that we DO recommend is that you make a full backup to your PC of your unit before any major change to map or firmware via the Home update system. We also recommend that you do so using your operating system's native approach to making backup copies, not the means provided through Home itself. You can find details on that procedure here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Thanks very much for quick reply. I had previouly backed up my XXL and was planning on updating after map update notice was emailed. I wanted a "heads up" as to what to expect before I proceeded. I'm running Windows 7. Are there any other things I need to do before update? Thanks again!

Thanks very much for quick reply. I had previouly backed up my XXL and was planning on updating after map update notice was emailed. I wanted a "heads up" as to what to expect before I proceeded. I'm running Windows 7. Are there any other things I need to do before update? Thanks again!
Nope. Do understand, though, that you needn't wait for the TomTom email to tell you the maps are available (the emails always lag a week or two behind releases). Home should already be advising you that a new map (865) is available if you are exercising either the Latest Map Guarantee or have a map subscription. Once the maps are out, it's "come and get it" time.

Sounds like you are having no problems with Home and Windows 7. That's good. Some folks have to resort to running it in XP Compatibility mode.

Ask a Question