Update Map and Save My Changes?

Hello,

Is there a way to save any map changes when you update your maps? Now that I have gotten the NA map subscription, I am considering the fact that there are several changes that I am going to need to do every time I upgrade the map. I have already made these changes the past three times I have updated maps, so it doesn't look like they will be added to the official map.

So I was hoping that there was a way to backup any existing changes that I have made, and restore them after updating the map. Mainly these are speed limit additions.

Otherwise, is there a way to set the "default" speed limit for roads? The problem I have is that my 920 will route me along some side streets around here that it doesn't have speed limit info for. When I add the info, it looks like it is defaulting to 60 mph, when the road is actually 30 mph. Additionally, as soon as I add the correct speed limit info, the GPS doesn't route me along this road because another road is faster.

Around here, for the most part, any road that doesn't have the speed limit in the map is probably a side street, which is generally 30 mph.

So, I would like to either copy my changes from one map to a new version, or change the "default" speed limit that the GPS thinks roads without limits should be.

I really hope someone knows how to do this because I have the same issue. As far as I know you have to re-enter the data each time you get a new map unless it's been incorporated into the release. Like where you are, most of the side streets around here have a limit of 30 so I just select one and then choose edit and select a bunch of them and change them all.

I was successful in transferring my map updates to a new version by backing up:

Map folder:
mapsettings.cfg
mapuserpatch.dat
deleted_poi.local
*.ov2

Root folder:
Userpatch.dat

Please note that speed limits are only for alerts on a 920. With IQroutes, speed limits are ignored in routing and arrival time. The IQ2 data on Map 825 is much better than a speed limit anyways. To see the IQroute speed data, drive the route in demo mode and see the speed the demo drives it. Unfortunately it only works for roads with missing speeds, if a speed limit is entered, the demo will drive at the speed limit, not the IQroutes speed (probably for liability reasons).

Map folder:
mapsettings.cfg
mapuserpatch.dat
deleted_poi.local
*.ov2

Root folder:
Userpatch.dat

Please note that speed limits are only for alerts on a 920. With IQroutes, speed limits are ignored in routing and arrival time. The IQ2 data on Map 825 is much better than a speed limit anyways. To see the IQroute speed data, drive the route in demo mode and see the speed the demo drives it. Unfortunately it only works for roads with missing speeds, if a speed limit is entered, the demo will drive at the speed limit, not the IQroutes speed (probably for liability reasons).

This is great news for me. I spent a total of about 6 hours editing maps to "block" roads that allow passenger vehicles only in New York a month or two back, and now have a new unit (740 LIVE) and DO NOT want to repeat the effort. When selecting roads for editing speed limits, it allows you to select the entire road with one click. If they extended this ability to the other editing modes it would be easy to repeat my edits after a map update.

As it is now I keep two copies of my map on my device - one edited as above, and the other not, so I'm not sure if your method will work for me, but I may give it a shot.

Map folder:
mapsettings.cfg
mapuserpatch.dat
deleted_poi.local
*.ov2

Root folder:
Userpatch.dat

Thanks, I'll have to try this when the new map comes out.

Ask a Question