Update has killed my Intinerary Planning Function

TomTom Model(s)
XXL540TM
HELP!!!

I've got an out-of-town trip coming up shortly and thought that I would check for any new updates and transfer my *.itn file over to the One 3rd. Edition.

Everything appeared to go well... I disconnected, rebooted and horror of horrors I can't get past the "Itinerary Planning" to access my trip *itn...:eek:

When "Itinerary Planning" is touched... the screen freezes... and will eventually reboot. I can't load the required *itn file for the trip in question. Aside from that everything else appears to function normally.

Is this an attempt on TomTom ?s part to quash the creative (custom menu) impulse in us?

So far I've updated home to 2.3.1.92 and updated the regular GPS Fix file as well as a file (don't recall its name) that stated that: "This is a required update" or something to that effect.

The ?coup de grace? my back-up is corrupted... what else, I ask you can go wrong?

Any constructive comments / direction welcomed.

TIA

Tom G, Sr.

Thanks

Hi DHN:

I certainly appreciate the timely response. I followed the link you were kind enough to provide... however... the software for the ONE 3rd Edition isn't listed. Do you know of another source?

All The Best

Tom G, Sr.

Hi Tom,

The version, 'TomTomGO x00 Series V7.162' will work on your 3rd edition. It's not the very latest (or next to the latest) which would be 7.166, but should work.

Hope this helps.

Hi Tom,

The version, 'TomTomGO x00 Series V7.162' will work on your 3rd edition. It's not the very latest (or next to the latest) which would be 7.166, but should work.

Hope this helps.
how do i install to old software yes i know im a noob. but thanks i need the help

how do i install to old software

When you connect your TomTom to your computer, it shows up as an external hard drive. (Close the 'Home' program if it starts. You don't need it.)

Using Windows Explorer (My Computer), you can 'see' the contents of your TomTom. You can copy, replace, delete, etc. these files just like any other file on your computer.

(Do a backup by copying all of these files to a folder on your hard drive. It is especially the map folder is what your must preserve. This is most important, because it will cost you a lot of money to get it replaced. The system files, however, are free!)

With the exception of the map folder, all of the other files are your operating system files. These can simply be deleted and replaced by the new system files.

Hello Rick:

I'm pleased to report that I've successfully restored (rolled-back) to 7.162. ;)

I now have (once again) the following:

My (much missed on a recent road trip) Itinerary Planning function.
A large readable compass face with degree indicator.

And a more skeptical nature? no more upgrading for the hell of it. It?s wait and see from this point forward.

To all who offered advise & direction - Thanks.

Tom G, Sr.

Hi Tom,

Glad to hear you were successful in falling back to firmware 7.162.

To get itinerary planning back on your 3rd edition, you should visit 'Birdman's' website here:

Customizing Menus on the TomTom
http://home.comcast.net/~spheasant1/Custom_menu.html

Birdman has step by step instructions for adding this feature. Remember though, when you add the custom menu, you lose a few of the icons on the default menu like... 'Help Me' & 'Map Corrections'. BUT, you can add another little fix that allows you to switch back and forth. I recently did this to my 3rd edition and it's working great!

Switching original/custom menus
https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=9958

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
This is great info, however when i tried it my itenerary option didn't come back?.? Any thoughts? I bought mine in early July and I know it didn't have the feature to begin with, so should I maybe go back to an earlier version of the software from "oldboy's" site?
Here's to hoping this thread is still alive...

Did you try the rollback of firmware? (link is in post #2)

These threads never die .... they just become comotose for a while. :p ;) :D

Yeah, I re read the post and saw were you mentioned we should recreate the menus and once doing that, the itenerary option came back and seems to work just fine...
Thanks again, this was a lifesaver. I bought this to use on my motorcycle and because it was cheap.. and when I saw the itenerary option wasn't there I was rather upset. Now it's usable again!! Thanks this place is the best!!

Hi shane4581:

The Itinerary function is independent of the operating software version. You have apparently accomplished the first task... now you need to re-establish the Itinerary function. Follow the links (and instructions above in Rick F.) posting for "Customizing Menus on the TomTom" and you should be good to go...

Good Luck

Tom G, Sr.

Update to this issue?

I'm not sure if its OK for me to resurrect an old thread like this, but I was wondering....does anyone know if the latest or a later version of the TomTom One firmware supports Itinerary planning yet or do I still have to stick with version 7.903 (the one I have on my TT1)?

If it still breaks Itinerary planning, is there another alternative that anyone can suggest that would allow me to kind of customize my routes and use the latest firmware?

Toledospod

I'm not sure if its OK for me to resurrect an old thread like this, but I was wondering....does anyone know if the latest or a later version of the TomTom One firmware supports yet or do I still have to stick with version 7.903 (the one I have on my TT1)?

If it still breaks Itinerary planning, is there another alternative that anyone can suggest that would allow me to kind of customize my routes and use the latest firmware?

Toledospod

You should be able to simpaly use Tyre and plan you rout that way and save it to your TT.
you can get it here Tyre.

OR the way I prefer to do my Itinerary planning is go to Googlemaps.com and plan my route there
( with the google map interface you can click on your route with youre mouse and drag it where you would like to go if it is different than what google suggest) ( if you do drag it make sure you zoom in so you don't drop it in the N bound lane if you are traveling south )

after you have the route planed just go to the link (top left on google page ) and copy the link to
here and submit quary then save the file to your TT Itinerary folder.

You should be able to simpaly use Tyre and plan you rout that way and save it to your TT.
you can get it here Tyre.

OR the way I prefer to do my Itinerary planning is go to Googlemaps.com and plan my route there
( with the google map interface you can click on your route with youre mouse and drag it where you would like to go if it is different than what google suggest) ( if you do drag it make sure you zoom in so you don't drop it in the N bound lane if you are traveling south )

after you have the route planed just go to the link (top left on google page ) and copy the link to
here and submit quary then save the file to your TT Itinerary folder.

OK, well I use TYRE (great peice of software), and have been using it for ages. I thought you had to have Itinerary planning to use it though? Or am I mistaken?

The other idea about Google maps is something I have used a lot, but never knew about saving it the way you suggested (does sound easier than using TYRE). I know that they have this thing where you can 'Send' the route to the TT, but this only sends the destination address, not the whole route. From what you're saying, it sounds like there is a different way to do this, but does that still require the Itinerary planner or are saying to just save it to the Itinerary folder and it will work like a normal route?

You can use Google maps, but not directly to your TomTom. In GarGor's post, he has a 'here' shown, which is a link to Houghi's route planner. Once you've figured out your route on Google maps, copy and paste it to the Houghi's route planner.

Or here:

Tomtom and Google using Houghi.org

Ok, I get that bit now, does this mean that I don't need an Itinerary planner icon on my custom menu and therefore I can get the latest firmware?

Ok, I get that bit now, does this mean that I don't need an Itinerary planner icon on my custom menu and therefore I can get the latest firmware?

Yes you DO still need the itinerary planner icon on your TomTom. If you upgrade the firmware, you will lose the icon and the function on the TomTom 3rd edition.

Perhaps I was mis-understood in my first post then...part of my original question was if I wanted to upgrade the firmware on my TomTom, and we all know that this would break the Itinerary Planner, is there some kind of workaround other than sticking with an outdated firmware??? If I can't have the itinerary planner icon, then I can't use Google to plan my route, because I wouldn't be able to access it on my TomTom. So whilst I appreciate your help so far, it hasn't really answered the question.

Sorry if I am being a pain.....but I thought someone on here might know something about this seemingly age-old problem.

It's my understanding that upgrading a TomTom 3rd edition to firmware 8.xxx will disable itinerary planning. Somewhere in the forum (I can't find it now) a user posted that when he contacted TomTom support about not being able to use 'itinerary' planning on his 3rd edition with the newer firmware, the answer was, "...the 3rd edition wasn't ever supposed to have itinerary planning!".

If I can't have the itinerary planner icon, then I can't use Google to plan my route, because I wouldn't be able to access it on my TomTom.

That's a true statement. A TomTom 3rd edition running firmware 8.xxx or higher will not allow itinerary planning. The older firmware contained some coding that was intended for the more expensive units. TomTom just deleted the icons for itinerary (in the 3rd edition) in hopes that no one would figure out how to use it. This was corrected with the newer firmware.

Ask a Question