GO 720 - No Items Available for update or purchase

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Hello, First-time poster here ...

I received a GO 720 as an anniversary gift about 4-5 years ago, and prefer to not to upgrade due to some of its features not being available on newer models. (MP3 player for one)

I've gotten along without updating the North America map since the beginning. However, I compared my map to that on my daughter's TomTom (purchased this year) and noticed some significant changes in routes that we regularly travel. So, I wanted to purchase the map upgrades by getting on TomTom HOME and choose the Purchase Maps icon and select View 'All'. No matter what options I choose, the following always appears on the Maps selection screen: "No items available"

When I called TomTom Customer Support, they informed me that I cannot upgrade or purchase any maps because of its being a 'legacy unit'. Is that the case? I have looked through every piece of documentation that came with the GPS and have not seen anything about a statute of limitations on the length of time for map updates.

Can anyone recommend how I can get the latest NA map or what I might be doing wrong on TomTom HOME? Thanks for any assistance.

Here are the specs for my PC and device:
PC running XP, TomTom HOME 2.8.4.2596
App version: 8.351
Map version: 'North_America_2GB' v710.1584
Internal memory: 70.3 MB free out of 1956.2
SD Card: 1451.3 MB free out of 3876.0

Try this link:
https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/shop/maps/#deviceSelected=19500&mapSelected=North%20America

But, before you do, log into Home 2 and update your application to the latest which will be 9.430.

Then, once done, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's device. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

Then go to the link I provided for the purchase of the 890 map. Make sure you are using the same email address for both the log in to Home 2 and when you purchase the map.

Thanks so much for your quick reply!

Please excuse my ignorance, but when I log into HOME 2, the only place that I see to update anything on the device is the "Update my GO" icon. When I click on that, only 2 voice downloads appear in the selection window. (Juliette and Carmen)

How do I update to application 9.430 otherwise?

Thanks again!

Is it not offering an application along with the other updates? If not, and AFTER you've made the Explorer backup, use Home to Manage my Device, Items on Device, Application and choose to remove. Then, Items on Computer, application and remove from there as well.

Then 'update my 720' and an application should be offered. It should be 9.430. If not (in other words, if it offers 8.351 again) then install again and AGAIN do the update my 720 to see if the 9.430 app is offered.

Here's what's going on: (recording this as it is happening)

(1) No, it was not offering any other updates. So, I did the EXPLORER backup.

(2) Went to Manage my Device, Items on Device, clicked to remove the two Applications (8.350 and 8.351).

(3) Then followed this by removing the Applications on Computer. There were about 5 listed, all at level 8.351 or below.

(4) Went to 'Update my GO' and the Application that was offered was at level 7.480. Installed that version, and the process re-started device.

(5) GO went through setup steps and HOME informed me that 7.480 was invalid for my device. So it listed new updates, of which Application 8.300 was the only one listed.

(6) Application 8.300 and two Map Share updates were installed, and the device was re-started again.

(7) Once again, HOME checked for updates and Application 8.351 was listed and installed. The device was then re-started.

(8) Finally ... HOME checked for updates and 9.430 was listed and installed.

TERRIFIC!!! I am now seeing Maps being offered in the Maps selection window!

One last question: When I removed and re-installed the Applications, all of my Favorites were erased from the device. From where in the EXPLORER backup can I restore them?

Thanks a bunch for your assistance!

There's a file called mapsettings.cfg in your North_America_2GB folder of your backup. If you slide that file over into the same folder on your unit, you'll have your favorites back.

When I called TomTom Customer Support, they informed me that I cannot upgrade or purchase any maps because of its being a 'legacy unit'.

So yet again, TomTom are shooting themselves in the foot and turning away the repeat business of a map purchase.
Their under-trained customer service folk haven't the faintest idea of the difference between service for a legacy device and simply updating it.

Fancy passing this little gem onto your contact at TomTom too, dhn/canderson?

And another note to my contact at TomTom. I won't stop until he says "uncle". Here, they not only unnecessarily annoyed a customer who might wish to upgrade some day, they left the money on the table for the map as well.

The good news, the OP is in good shape now.

Ask a Question