Has anyone updated to Version 9.4 yet?

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340TM
Apparently no new Map Share, QuickGPSfix, or safety camera updates until it's installed.

Version 9.400

GO Classic, ONE, ONE-S, XL 335 LE/ SE/SE-TM, XL 350, XXL 550, START 40/ 45/ 50/ 55, GO 920, 720, GO 730, 930, 630, RIDER, RIDER2, ONE XL, ONE XL S, GO 300, GO 740 LIVE, EASE, ONEv3/ 3rd edition, ONEv2/ new edition)
  • All supported devices now have an improved status bar with different tabs similar to most recent devices, and a clearer indication of the speed limit.
  • The Speed Cameras service has the following improvements:
    • You are now warned about speed cameras with new, clearer icons.
    • You can now report and delete speed cameras with one touch.
    • You can now confirm that a speed camera is still there.
    • When driving in an average speed check zone, your average speed is now displayed.
  • If you have a LIVE device and a valid subscription, speed camera locations, both fixed and mobile, are now delivered over-the-air.
  • We have improved the explanation about the data you share with TomTom, and the settings required for you to give permission and share data from your device. *
  • TomTom Buddies and sending and receiving files from your device using Bluetooth are no longer supported.
  • The TomTom HD Traffic receiver is also no longer supported. The receiver was only available in the Netherlands. When downloading this software, the TomTom HD Traffic receiver will no longer be compatible with the device. If you want to continue using the HD Traffic receiver, you must not download this software.
  • GO 520/720/920: if you download a new map after installing this update you will be upgraded to a map that supports addresses in Greek and Russian.
  • If you use your device at about the same time every day your device will find your current location faster when you first start your device. This improvement is for all compatible devices exceptes the GOx20 and GOx30 devices, and LIVE devices which get QuickGPSfix over the air.
  • Various performance improvements and bug fixes have been implemented.

Appending this one to the Navcore 9.4 thread.

I too, am waiting to see if there are any problems with the 9.4 upgrade for my TT GO730. I have been running on the Navcore 8.351 for some time and am satisfied with the way it works. However, I understand (correctly I hope) that 9.4 has some improvements. One of which is the support of the USB RDS-TMC traffic module.

So back to the original question. Has anybody updated a GO730 to the new navcore version yet? If you have do you have any tips on what to watch out for?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I've updated my 720 to the new build. Yes, the combo rds-tmc antenna/car charger now works with the model.

you will find the white gps signal bars that were on the right side of the status line no longer show there.

@spook
I've updated my 720 as well (might as well be a 730, as you know!) and no problems seen so far. As dhn says, the only surprise will be few changes in the UI layout.

Updated my 920 T and now it does not recognize the HD Traffic / Power Supply unit.
The 8.351 worked, immediately connecting with the server and operating as it should. Now it gives a notice that "BlueTooth" needs to be turned on in a cell phone.

TT does it again. Just now I read that this OS version does not support the HD Traffic Unit... Sad for me. Wish I could go back.

Last edited:
The HD traffic unit was only sold in the Netherlands, and TomTom seems to have been ready to sacrifice that market feature. Sadly, the users there got stuffed on this one.

Shame you're on the other end of the country, and can't just wander in and personally let them know what you think!

Darn. Didn't spot his "Wish I could go back". Hope he drops in and sees your pointer to the old code!

Well, I bit the bullet and did the update to 9.4. It took over two hours for the download and another two hours for the install. Seems to be working fine except I don't have voice command anymore. I don't think that 9.4 caused this because I seem to remember that I didn't have it on 8.351.

I have checked for that support_asr file in the ASR folder and it is there. I will check further on the forum to see if I can get this working. I have the icons but they are both grayed out.

Plan a trip manually. Make sure you pick your state (not the generic USA) in the city screen. Complete the routing.

Now, try again and see if spoken address is active.

Also make sure you have a computer voice selected.

As always, Spook, be sure that the file is exactly one byte long (check with properties).

My old 720 still has functioning ASR after the update to 9.400, so it's gotta be possible. Here's how my 720 is configured:

Change preferences
R arrow
R arrow
R arrow
Quick menu preferences
Navigate to spoken address (dialog) = checked

back to main menu

If you have only one item selected in the QuickMenu, the button will be right there, else press the QuickMenu button and select "Navigate to spoken address (dialog)".

Not sure if I am a fan of this latest update. I really liked the buddies feature but this update takes it away. I didn't back up the previous app so I am stuck with this one for good it looks like.

@Placesandspaces
Don't worry over the Buddy feature going away on the device due to the 9.400 update -- TomTom decided last December that they won't be supporting it on their server in the future, so it would cease to function in any case.

As always, Spook, be sure that the file is exactly one byte long (check with properties).

My old 720 still has functioning ASR after the update to 9.400, so it's gotta be possible. Here's how my 720 is configured:

Change preferences
R arrow
R arrow
R arrow
Quick menu preferences
Navigate to spoken address (dialog) = checked

back to main menu

If you have only one item selected in the QuickMenu, the button will be right there, else press the QuickMenu button and select "Navigate to spoken address (dialog)".

Wow, I don't even have that option in my 'Quick Menu preferences'. The two icons I was referring to were the ones shown under the 'Navigate to' path. I never knew that you could also have a Quick Menu selection option.

I will continue to look into this over the weekend. I will be out of town tomorrow and won't have any computer system with me.

Thanks for all of your help with this. You guys are always so helpful.

Ah, I just realized what (I think) you're saying that you do NOT see, Spook.

On my old 720 with 9.400, my menu options are

Navigate to
Address
then
City center / Street and house number / Zip code / Cross street or intersection / Spoken address / Spoken address (dialog)

The last two items are NOT grayed out for me. The only two reasons I can imagine for this not working are the *.dat file or speech recognition files themselves.

You need 3 things for speech reco:

1) the support_asr file (not support_asr.txt as is commonly set by windows)
2) cpeech_xx.dat files for your state/country
3) a specific state chosen in your prior route, can't be the generic "USA"

@Spook - I'm curious as to what your 730 itself thinks it supports!

Have a look at the file called ttgo.bif in the root of your 730. There's a line buried in there that starts with "Features=". Way down that line, is there an entry for "ASR"? Search ASR and you'll see if it's in there or not. It could even show up (bad) in the next line under "UnsupportedFeatures=".

Got it fixed and kudos to you both.

I checked to see if I had the correct cspeechxx file and I did. I checked the content of the asr_support file in the ASR folder and it was correct. I checked the ttgo.bif file and it showed that ASR was supported. It also showed that ASRcnc was not supported.

The problem was fixed when I 'actually' selected California instead of just accepting the generic USA location. Problem solved.

Thanks again mvl and canderson for the outstanding support you provide. This site is one of the reasons why I have stayed with TomTom. If I couldn't get this level of support I would've gone with another manufacturer a long time ago. I started my GPS experience with a Garmin and quickly changed to a Magellan and then to TomTom.

Thanks again guys.

Ask a Question