Unhappy with map updates

I recently purchased the $80, 4 map update package and have downloaded 2 updates as they became available.

Besdes the "warning tone" problem that I described in a previous thread, my ONE XLS has gone totally stupid since I've downloaded the new maps. I normally use the "quickest route" and now it is suggesting "shortcuts" leaving the main route and going who knows where. When driving an RV, you don't go off the main route just on a whim. I've looked through all the parameters and don't see where you can select "Don't take stupid shortcuts"

I've had my XLS about a year and a half and although common sense is always required, I feel that the new maps are not improving much. I wonder what they are really updating. I was on US 50 going down from Monarch Pass and Tomasina was constantly telling me to turn left into the mountainside and once suggested I turn around. I was routed to Falcon, Co via Pueblo which was dead ahead and down the hill.

Is anyone else having troubles like this and how do you penetrate the 'customer service?" maze at TomTom to talk to someone about it?

Terry L.

Last edited:
I'm currently researching a purchase (so bear in mind that I don't have these maps!) but my understanding is that the new maps introduce an "IQ Routes" facility that's likely to take you by an unexpected "shortcut". If you can find an option to turn that functionality off, that might do the trick?!

Mike.

Then you haven't studied what IQ routing is all about too carefully.

It will consider the real time driving experiences of drivers when planning routes. Usually quite reliable and precise.

I've had my XLS about a year and a half and although common sense is always required, I feel that the new maps are not improving much. I wonder what they are really updating. I was on US 50 going down from Monarch Pass and Tomasina was constantly telling me to turn left into the mountainside and once suggested I turn around. I was routed to Falcon, Co via Pueblo which was dead ahead and down the hill.

I looked at the route you were taking, and if I understand correctly, you were going from Monarch Pass to Falcon, CO.

The route that stays on 50 via Pueblo, CO is a about 15 minutes longer (per tomtom's IQroutes engine) than the route that takes 278 North then 24 east.

As you buy new maps, some of this additional road-speed data make (although not time-of-day-specific) makes it into the updated maps. This would be why Tomtom kept trying to turn you left into the mountains - it thought that way was faster.

My problem is that it take sme 2 hours to update it and then it says that I need to delete some things off of my TOM TOM in order to load the new things. How does one do that?

My problem is that it take sme 2 hours to update it and then it says that I need to delete some things off of my TOM TOM in order to load the new things. How does one do that?

The latest maps are too big. If you call tomtom they'll tell you to wait while they work on shrinking the map.

What works for most members here is to remove all foreign voices. In HOME, go to remove items, items on device, and find the voices to remove. That usually frees up enough space for the map.

The latest maps are too big. If you call tomtom they'll tell you to wait while they work on shrinking the map.

What works for most members here is to remove all foreign voices. In HOME, go to remove items, items on device, and find the voices to remove. That usually frees up enough space for the map.

Ok, so ive been looking to into the new map update service, but my question is on my 330 XLS, will removing all the voices besides the computer one make room for the map??

I dont wnat to spend money on the maps if its too complicated to overwrite the map that is already on my 330 XLS

I don't have an XL so I can't be 100% certain, but others seem to have success with unneded voice removal. I don't remember seeing a thread where a member was unsuccessful and gave up.

Tomtom said they're working on shrinking the maps and hope to have it done in a few weeks. If you're that concerned I'd recommend waiting a few weeks.

It shouldnt be too much of a problem with the 330 XL because its using 1gb of internal memory so its using the 1gb maps. The biggest you can get is the USA/Canada map which is 847 meg. The next too biggest things are the application 12-13 meg and the POI 10-12 meg. And unlike mine yours does speech so the voices and application may be bigger...

Anyway if the map doesnt fit you have to be really really close. Like mentioned goto remove items in tomtom home and remove stupid stuff you dont use...Things like some of the car symbols, all foreign voices, and voices you dont use

Also check your quickgpsfix in remove items, there should only be ONE file in there. One time I looked and it had 20 or so I guess from every update I did. I deleted them all redownloaded the quickgpsfix and ever since then there has only been one on the unit....

I've been hearing issues with the 330 XL-S also.

The problem is that the Loquendo voices used on the 330-S and 340-S TTS models are around 40 megs per voice. When you consider that tomtom preloads 2 voices per language, that takes up an awful lot of space in its' default configuration.

I haven't seen any isues with the non-TTS version of ths 130/330/140/340. The non-TTS voices don't need a pronounciation dictionary and are much smaller.

Ask a Question