unhappy customer in canada. re: maps

Hiya,

I bought one xl back in christmas and i have been very happy up until i had to map some of my clients outside of toronto in subburbs.

In toronto we used to have east york, north york, york as some of our cities which got compiled into one GTA.

Now i have been here in toronto for a while and i vaguely know which city is which but when using tomtom it is fairly annoying to try to find a street as it demands the original name of the borough.

I had complaint to tomtom back in january about this but did not hear back.

Recently i saw new models of tomtom and to my surprise this problem did not exist.

Turns out its the new maps and apps and turns out i am not eligable for this offer since it was extended to 30 days only.

Now tomtom wants 80 dollars for the maps.

I think for a 300 device which is functionally lacking and then not giving current customers who have the flaw not a free good will upgrade is very bad for business.

I had made the call to tomtom and they basically gave me the finger.

What are my options.

1 - bite the bullet and buy the map
2 - complain and see if htey will give me one
3 - just toss it in a woodchipper and buy the new one.

what have other canadians that are in toronto done?

Well first of all I'll say Welcome, now to the unhappy part, yes these maps are constantly being updated as I'm sure you are finding out, it seems that an $80. map verse's buying a new $300 GPS would show you a saving's of
$220. savings, I personally haven't purchased the new maps out as so far I have been ok but I'm sure down the road I will have to get a new one just to stay updated on streets added/addresses etc.
:D

I, too, am in the GTA so understand the confusion over the various cities a street may be located in. I've got the 7.10 map where there is a problem. I've had my unit since last September.

I'm pleased that 7.20 does resolve the problem but realized going in that 30 days is 30 days.

What about the first I-phone purchases who see the new generation has more features for hundreds less?

It's just life in the world of electronics & technology.

Well i consider the flaw in previous maps a flaw in the service and product htey are providing. I don't care for the new maps if it wasnt for the major flaw fix that i descriped above.

ipods and iphones do release new products but it was not that the original iphone was only able to recieve calls but not make.. that would make a huge flaw... just like tomtoms flaw.

btw that flaw did not translate into garmin models.

Well i consider the flaw in previous maps a flaw in the service and product htey are providing. I don't care for the new maps if it wasnt for the major flaw fix that i descriped above.

ipods and iphones do release new products but it was not that the original iphone was only able to recieve calls but not make.. that would make a huge flaw... just like tomtoms flaw.

btw that flaw did not translate into garmin models.

An incomplete map can hardly be considered a 'flaw' to use your words. The newest map ANY gps company releases is, at best, 3-6 months out of date as soon as it is released.

In fact, because of mapshare, certain things get updated more frequently with TeleAtlas than with other companies' mapping providers; indeed, travel to some Garmin or Magellean or any other boards and see similar gripes about inadequacies of their maps.

I am hardly a 'yes man' for TomTom. Just look at a few of my (too many, I'm afraid :( ) posts to see that. It's just I may have a different perspective on things than you do.

However .... if you'd like a list of what I DO consider 'flaws' with TomTom software, just let me know ... ;)

Last edited:
My gripe is with the POIs here in Canada but also in the US.

Tim Hortons coffe shops are everywhere here (at least 20 in 10 mile radius) yet my ONE only displays 2 distant locations in my city. The Esso, Shell and independent gas stations within a mile of me are not even listed. I was even driving along I-90 on Western NY near Buffalo and the Tim Hortons at the Clarence rest stop was not listed.

Here's the interesting part, I bought a Magellan Maestro today for my wife's car and it has them ALL (except the 1-90 one, dunno). Returning the Magellan because the TomTom slays it on features and menu but the Magellan's database puts TomTom to shame.

Frustrated. :mad:

John

I would grab the one xl when it goes on sale it was on sale at BB for 190 plus tax.

I still think the cripple map searching capability of the tomtom is a sue-able item. I will probably end up getting another one xl or so but this is a p-off.

Ask a Question