Unable to purchase 1 year map subscriptions

TomTom Model(s)
Xl 340-S
Everytime i try to purchase the 1 year map subsriptions for the North America, Canada, and mexico map i keep getting the following error:

ERROR: 298/#https://community.tomtom.com/payment/initiatePayment: Error from server: An error has occurred. Please try again later.
An error has occurred. Please try again later.
Server function called: initiatePayment
Error code: 298
URL: https://community.tomtom.com/payment/initiatePayment
Severity: 1105
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:448
this.errorSeverity);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:423
this._doneCallbacks();
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:274
this.request.onload = function() { me._done(true); }

Time: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 06:11:49 GMT

Any ideas on how to fix this? I have tried it on three different computers one being a vista, one being a XP, and one being a mac, but everytime it ends up being the same message. So i am at a loss here right now. The model i use is the XL 340-S

It may indeed be that the TomTom servers are acting up again. It happens, too frequently, sadly.

If it dosn't work for you later, call support at 866-486-6866. They should be able to help.

Are you by any chance being asked to enter any type of security code for your credit/debit card? Never EVER have I been able to use my Debit OR credit card from my bank on TomTom's website, because ONLY TomTom's website asks me for some security code my card supposedly has. 30 min on the phone with my bank and they claim they don't even support that feature yet. I can't possibly have a "Secure Code" on my account yet. Also, 15 min on the phone with TomTom, and they eventually told me to try a different card.

I ended up using my Paypal debit card which withdraws from my bank account anyways.

People in Britain had great difficulty with payments by debit card as well. Apparently only one bank's was getting accepted by the payment server in Europe.

Unfoortunately i am not even getting to the point where i can enter my credit card information in to be able to purchase it. I can click on check out, then can check the agree box and click on confirm order then that is when it happens. It won't even let me get to the point of being able to enter in my payment information. That is what from i can tell the error is coming up about is the payment error like it can't open it up. So im not sure.

I will say it has been doing this since friday. I got my tomtom on friday and did the inital free update and then tried to purchase the map service. But all weekend i get that message and even this morning got it. The other error message i get from time to time but not as much as this error message saying my tomtom home is out of date. But everytime i look its up-to-date.

Call support at 866-486-6866.

TomTom is hardly in a position to turn down money from a potential subscriber.

Report back on how it goes. Good luck.

Yes the error seems to be one of HOME unable to connect to the payment server.

Try it in a day, the server may just be down. You could also call customer support, they might (doubtful) be able to take a card number over the phone and activate your subscription manually.

Never EVER have I been able to use my Debit OR credit card from my bank on TomTom's website, because ONLY TomTom's website asks me for some security code my card supposedly has.
I'd say that about 50% of all of the online sites where I make purchases require the use of the code. All of my credit cards have had them for some years now. Not sure where you are banking, but they are WAY overdue to support that feature. It is used more or less to assure that the card is actually in the physical possession of the owner since the number does not appear on charge receipts (even if made in the old "manual" way) nor does it appear on the mag strip information on the back.

I can't believe a bank of any size at all doesn't support this by now. I'd hit on them again, especially if your card is a bit older and due for replacement.

TomTom is not at ALL unusual in asking for this information.

Ok i will give it a day and see what happens then if i have to call the 800 number. I did send an email to the technical support department. Not sure how long it takes to get a response back. But i did do that. Thanks for the help so far i greatly appreciate it.

I will say the one thing that drew me to tomtom was the update service because it was so much cheaper to update the maps by like 30 bucks compared to paying 80 to update for a single map. Which i i see tomtom has but my original gps was a magellan was the same. So i am really hoping to get this to work.

My experience is that phone calls to support are better than emails as far as getting accurate feedback and in a timely manner.

So i was just looking around and see if it is with all the maps or just the update service and apparently it is with the update service only. Because it would let me go further if i was to buy a regular map. Just not with the map update serivce.

TomTom is shooting themselves in the foot :eek: It's bad enough these devices are buggy, but come on!!! Their payment system sucks too!!?!?!

I got a similar error when I tried to buy the update through the US Server. I had changed my address to one in the US (I'm in Canada). It basically threw up its hands. I was trying to avoid having to pay in Euors, but eventually I had to keep my Canadian address in order for the server to accept it. Essentially, according to support, my account is defined as Canadian so I can't move my address to the US.

So, my suggestion is to make sure that your address is correct according to whatever you initially told TomTom.

I live in the us so my address should be correct. I know you can't really do much with putting your address in the tomtom home application. I am guessing the only place you can put it in is on the tomtom website. Because like i was saying in earlier posts i can't even get to the screen to be able to put my payment into the system. It stops me before then is when i get the error. Its like it is struggling to open up the payment option page. But when i try to purchase a regular map it takes me to that screen. i am just not able to when i try to buy the 1 year map update service.

I'll suggest one more time. Call support at 866-486-6866. Stop frustrating yourself....

Well i have to say customer service is a little goofy. I did call and the person from customer service said it must be something with their servers and thats why i can't get through because they are messed up. So give it a little bit and see what happens. But yet i have done this since friday and get the same error. But now i got an email back from their support in email and this is what they told me:

Thank you for responding back. We apologize for the inconvenience but at this time the Map Update Service is not available for your device. This is a problem we have with the maps that were associated with your device and we are currently working on this diligently. Again, we apologize for the frustration that you have experienced. Once our Map Update Service has been assessed and corrected, you will be able to purchase the map update service.

So now they are telling me that its not avaliable for the device. I just think its funny that their customer service isn't on the same page either through email or on the phone. So thats the update as to the problem i am having.

Ever heard about 'the left hand not telling the right hand' .....:eek:

My gut feeling is the response about the service not working for your device sounds more realistic to me.

yeah me too. It's just a little frusturating when you get something like that. One of the biggest reason i bought the tomtom was because of the map update service and how cheap it was. Don't get me wrong i like the tomtom and how easy it is to use.

But i appreciate all your guys help with the topic and answering my questions.

DHN is probably right. I suspect you're probably causing the script on the server to die. The error that I received was almost word-for-word what you got, it would appear before I attempted to enter my credit card information. The script that they've written probably can't handle the situation so it simply dies. Support is sometimes hit n' miss, but there is usually some truth to what they say, you sometimes need to filter it. :)

What device do you have? I would think most of the current ones could use the map update service.

Ask a Question