TT2 100 meters of road

Hello,
While driving in rural areas, my TT2 (app 7.162, map 675.1409) sometimes calculates that my position is 80-110 meters off the hi-way (when driving right down the middle of Hiway 2). I would appreciate input whether this is due to the old application or map versions I'm using or whether the TT2 sat reception just isn't that great. (TT tech couldn't assist)

Cheers BWG

I have a 720 and experiance the same thing when driving on rural roads and many other main raods in central/northern Alberta. Quite annoying. I have a hard time thinking that anyone else in my car who sees this would go out to buy a TT.

Same in Ontario

We were recently travelling in "northern" Ontario (Muskokas actually) and experienced a lot of this going from Huntsville over to Port Carling on 118. My wife was a fan of the GPS for a while but now she thinks it's junk. When we were outside any towns, it was easy enough to realize where we really were and needed to go, but once in a town (like Port Carling) we were constantly being redirected in error.

quite scary for first time users like me, as it tells you to 'turn left' at each intersection.. as if it thinks you're in the wrong highway. I've learned to zoom out the map to assure me that I'm going in the right direction

I am not at all sure of this as an answer to your problem but I think it is a good possibility.

You are to far north in Canada for good and accurate reception of the GPS satallites ------- especially so if the TT is trying to pick up the WAAS satallites.

The WAAS satallites hover over the equator and most likely are not useful in Canada. However I am not sure that the TomToms use the WAAS system.

I am not at all sure of this as an answer to your problem but I think it is a good possibility.

You are to far north in Canada for good and accurate reception of the GPS satallites ------- especially so if the TT is trying to pick up the WAAS satallites.

The WAAS satallites hover over the equator and most likely are not useful in Canada. However I am not sure that the TomToms use the WAAS system.
I do not think they do, but Garmin units do. I have a handheld Garmin, and on a cold start, the Tom Tom beats the Garmin on satellite acquisition hands down.

yup, issues with canada maps have come up a few times. there's trouble with those rural areas up there. i wonder if they've progressed at all with the new map updates?

Ask a Question