TT Via Live won't connect

TomTom Model(s)
via live
Hi All,

I've a TT Via Live. I've got the right MyTomTom installed and up to this point everything has been working fine. However, When I now plug in the TT and access the TomTom short cut all I get is that the device is 'connecting' but nothing moves on from that, i.e. the device doesn't actually connect. I need to get the 'leap year' update or I can't lock on to any satellites.

It looks like the device is not being recognised by the computer as it doesn't show up on the device manager but ...?

If it helps, I'm using Windows 7, I've tried resets and different USB ports (which all work fine with other devices) and the TT is fully charged.

Anyone got any ideas.

By 'reset' you do mean holding the power button about 15 seconds till you hear the drum sounds?

Oddly, and I think this has nothing to do with the 'connection' issue, but it can still resolve a GPS position as long as it is plugged in to the computer. Strange!

If it helps, I also have a via 120 and it is having the same problems so I suspect it's a Windows/PC recognition issue.

It looks like the device is not being recognised by the computer as it doesn't show up on the device manager but ...?
Wondering if you're a past user of the older style TomTom ... your new device doesn't show up as a USB device now ... it shows up as a NIC card (look under Network Adapters). If it doesn't show up there when connected and powered up, please let us know.

Good. That's important. It's not the connection to the PC that's at issue, it's the connection back to TomTom's server that we're dealing with. Thought that was the case, but it's good to know.

As dhn suggests, running MyTomTom in XP compatibility mode sometimes helps on these machines. You will want to deinstall MyTomTom and reinstall it, running BOTH the installer and application in that mode to be safe.

Also, MyTomTom uses some oddball port numbers, so be sure that you don't have a firewall or router or something else that might block (specifically) Port 4000.

Ask a Question