TT V2 Howto start over?

I'm really getting to the end of my patience with this device.

When new, (2 weeks ago) the first thing I did was a backup via Home and a copy via Windows explorer.

Next I added a 2G SD card got the backup restored to the card, updated the app to 7.1, map to 675.

I renamed the original backup directory to orgBackup01, made a copy to my Linux file server (not very happy when the 3 ._XXX files were copying, I sorted that out, more to come).

Did another backup of the SD card config and renamed that to newBackup01, copied to file server again.

So now, depending on which config I want to restore, I simply rename the xxxBackup01 on the W2K box to Backup01. It tested all working well.

I rebooted the workstation into my usual Linux workstation and had left the TT plugged in. The removable partition of the USB device was mounted automatically. So I figured, what the heck, I'll copy the contents to yet another directory on the file server - this time the 3._XXX files copied without a hitch! Figured I do the same with the SD card removed - can't have enough backups!

The Linux box did not see any partitions of the USB drive, just a /dev/sdc device. I blew it off, not a big enough deal to worry about - I've got plenty of backups, right?

I fire up the TT without the SD card (couldn't help but notice in the past that while in the house, the original TT would spot satilllites when App 7.1/SD card wouldn't - not an issue I've addresses, YET). This time the TT starts to boot, displays a nice, big white X. Nice.

I re-partition the internal memory in Linux, hop over to W2K, format with both fat16 and 32 both times attempting to restore with the renamed, original backup after installing the "App" via Home.

Upon firing off the restore in Home, using both fat32 and 16, I get an error that says something like:

Note: Some volumes (for example, a storage card) that were present during a previous backup are not currently present on your TomTom device, and cannot be backed up or restored.

Seems like it could be:

Wrong FS type on the TT.

Config of the restore/backup in Home wants to see a SD card (tough luck, I don't want to restore my SD card), need to modify a config file or ???

With full backups, what is a known good procedure, a howto, etc to completely restore this thing to it's original, working condition.

I don't suspect bad hardware here, I'm hoping I'm just not holding my mouth right ;~)>

I've read this:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=1776&page=2&highlight=bricked

this:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=4088&highlight=format

and this:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=2542&highlight=format

To name a few.

TIA for any thoughts and suggestions from some TT "old timers", I figured this to be a simple task.

Update - Solved

Looks like I was trying too hard.

Plugged the TT into my Linux workstation, deleted the partition, plugged into W2k, fired up Home, selected restore, and completed successfully.

Don't partition or format your TT, Home restore will take care of it all.

Yep, that's what I said.

When I tossed the SD card into the mix at the get-go, I don't recall formatting that to do a restore either.

Too bad we can't get the howto from the "horses mouth".

I will continue to post what I learn and questions along the way in hopes to help other junior "hackers", uh, device repairmen.

ETA - Much to learn!

Ask a Question