HowTo: TT910 connected to Plus using Verizon Samsung i730

I have been lurking here for a month or so. Here goes a quick HowTo. Please don't ask me about any other phone, etc. I am not expert doing this kinda stuff. I just wanted to post what worked for me and how I did it. Hopefully, someone will find this useful.

I am able to connect to TT services (weather, traffic, updates, etc.) using my Verizon phone. I am thrilled. I assume that this will work for this family of Verzion Samsung Windoze-based PDA phones -- i730, i830, etc.

Here's the details:

I have a Samsung i730 with the vanilla unlimmited **data plan**. (I do not have the newish "tethering plan" because there are work arounds written up all over the place how to uncripple this phone.)

With a little futzing, it is straighforward to get the i730 to connect to the TT910 as a phone. The contact list on the i730 wont download to the TT, but there is a mechanism for hand building a phone book on the TT. However, the phone wont act as a bluetooth modem to the internet by default; plus services wont work by default.

The way to get plus sevices to work (use the phone for wireless data transfer) is as follows:
1. Get the executable that enables DUN (dial up networking) via bluetooth over at pdaphonehome.com:
pdaphonehome.com/forums/samsung-i730-i830-i830w/50453-faq-v-2-samsung-i730-updated-11-19-2005-12-20-pm-est-2.html#post388131
(my post count isn't high enough to make this a real link; sorry :) )
2. Unzip the file and put the executable on your i730 and run it. Make sure it is running ANY TIME you want to connect to the TT910.
3. As appropriate: delete the phone from the TT; delete the TT from the phone. This allows you to perform the bluetooth connection from scratch. Thus, the TT will look to see what kind of services the phone has to offer. If the bluetooth executable (Step 2) is running, good things will happen :)
4. Reconnect via bluetooth. I always find connecting for the first time and using the 0000 password a bit finicky, but eventually with the TT and the i710 searching, they find each other and connect.
5. The TT will report that the phone supports data services. Yay! Now we've gotten somewhere.
6. Set up the wireless services manually as described below:
6a. Say yes to the screen asking if you want to set up your wireless data connection
6b. Hit "other" at the bottom of the screen when asked for the phone model
6c. Hit "united states" for the country
6d. Hit "other" for the provider
6e. Yes to "do you want to set up your wireless data connection manually"
6f. Access point name: I really don't think it matters what you put here. I left it blank
6g. Username: your10digitnumber @ vzw3g . com
[without the spaces in the above usename.]
6h. Password: vzw
6i. IP/DHCP set to automatic
6j. DNS set to automatic
6k. Dial: #777
6l. Lgin script: leave blank
7. At this point it should check wireless setting and you should be golden. Go and get the weather.

I didn't realize there was a promo for free traffic info in the US. I don't know how long it will last, but I'm very happy to use it.

Ask a Question