TT one XL require help (battery and charger)

hi,
i got tom tom one xl 4S00.006 and it need a battery&charger .unfortunately i have lost the info for the battery&charger.now when i am looking to but the battery there is too many choices under xl as 1100mah,1150mah,1200mah,1350mah,1450mah but i don't know what to buy ?

in the past my brother bought a battery from internet a cheap one cast him ?6.00 and after changing the batter he turn it ON with it was connected to PC .the tom tom turn on and have the first screen then my brother left it for 10 hrs as he thought it can be charged but after what he saw is the batter got some liquid out and he disconnect every thing,

now as i have this unite and i think he use just cheap or wrong battery.

please advise me what to get to make it run.thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to confirm, go to this link and put the first 2 characters of the serial number of your unit (found on the bottom on the silver paper) into the box on the link to see the model Tomtom says you have:

Which TomTom device do I have?

thx, i have done that and only show me ONE XL which i can see underneath any way as tomtom one xl. and i like to know which exact batter&charger i need? as there is to many 1150mah,1200mah,1300mah,1350mah,1450mah

now what is the diffrence between 1150 and 1450mah?

The larger number reflects a battery with more 'juice'. In other word, it should last longer.

I know the following link is to a US source of batteries but it should give you an idea of what your model can use:
BatteryShip.com - Online Catalog

Part =F724035958
Product Line=GPS Batteries
Made For=TomTom
Product Name=TomTom One XL Battery
Description =Battery Replacement for TomTom One XL & Tools (battery condition: NEW) 3.7 volts 1150 mAh, Lithium Ion

this is what i found mate.

so in this case as you said bigger the no better the life then i can buy 3.7 volts 1450 mAh, Lithium Ion

i personaly d.nt want any thing heat up or burn out.

The figures you are seeing are the 'capacity' or electrical 'size' of the battery.

(If you want to get technical, a milliamp-hour is a unit of electric charge, and 1 mAh is the electric charge transferred by a steady current of one milliamp for one hour.

So a 1450mAh battery is "better" than a 1150mAh one because it will last slightly longer between charges.

Obviously other factors may apply such as the physical size of the battery and whether the internal circuitry is capable of charging it correctly.

But in this case, assuming they are all from reputable companies and are stated as being compatible with the One XL, then just go for the one with the largest capacity.

EDIT: Sorry I'm typing slowly today! dhn got his answer in and you replied, while I was still writing>

great stuff mate , i am feeling too good to be part of this furum among experiance guy like you. i am going to order the higher rate batter and charger and will let you know how it goes.can tomtom be turn on with out battery for time being?as i tried to conect to the laptop and all i see a green light on lhs corner.b ut cant swich on to work.

I'm not 100% sure, but if I remember correctly, NO, you cannot run the TomTom with the battery disconnected, even with the external power supply connected.

Before you buy the new battery though, do be prepared for the possibility that your brother's previous experiences may have done some more serious damage, which simply buying a new battery won't fix.
It may be really dead....

well all he told me he buy a cheap battery which he did not give me as lost and he said unit was turn ON and he left it with usb connected and after several hrs he found some liquid come out from battery cells then he disconnect all and now i got the unit which i got green light ON if i connect a usb on it. that's all i know be honest.

i opened the tomtom and did not found any damage on board or any liquid sign on board.so it seems like new insiade.

Fair enough. It will probably all be fine. I just don't want you to think it will be a guaranteed fix!

hi,
i have bought the battery yesterday and the tomtom turn ON after i change the battery and it show very little battery as the new one was,nt full charged so i switch it off and left conected with computer lead and thought over a night it will charge by computer but now when i try to turn it ON it is not coming ON.
any idea what happend?
can computer charge the tomtom as it is normal usb lead conecetd.
if not is it possible as it is left conecetd with pc and battery gone flate? even though i have a green light while it is conected to pc?

Last edited:
You can charge the battery via the usb port on the computer but not as fast as using an AC (mains) charger if you have one.

And you can keep the unit off while it's charging.

well as i said it was turn ON yesterday when i replace batter then i switched off i conect to pc for good 16hrs and now i d,nt switch ON. seems battery gone flate and it is not charging via usb.i got 5v spare normal charger which i can alter to use but i want to know the diagramm of wiring so i can conect and make my own charger if possible to test.

if the main power is not charging the battery and in the end battery goes flate then on the circut board of the tomtom is there any thing i can check or replace by mapline or any electronics shop to make sure that it charge the battery?

Not without a lot of skill... both in electronic fault-finding and in physically re-soldering the extremely small surface-mount components they have used. Unfortunately, this is MUCH harder to do without circuit diagrams, and TomTom do not supply those.

I've been an electronics engineer all my working life and it's not something I would attempt, and I've been around the TomTom forums a long time too, and not seen any hints or tips for this problem.

you haven't put your location in your profile, but from the model name and your mention of Maplins, are you from the UK?

If so, TomTom *do* have an out of warranty repair service (they have a repair centre in Scotland too).
Ring them on 08451610009
Or alternatively, here are some other links to places that SAY they can do repairs
TomTom GO car navigation hardware and SD card repairs
TomTom Repairs
Sat nav repairs, TomTom repair, Tom Tom repairs, TomTom repairs, Garmin repair

Ask a Question