new user of go630 HELP REQUIRED

HI FOLKS i have just last week bought a go 630 and at this point am a little concerned and to be honest no impressed with several points and hope someone may be able to help these issues.

firstly i am very supprised that there is no voice warning for camaera positions/ fixed and mobile?

yes i understand that there are different bells etc available, but considering that there are cheaper gps available which does have voice warning of cameras, i assumed that the likes of tom tom would also have this utility? is there any way that a program can be downloaded for this?

also a friend, how actually advised not to buy tom tom but suggested a far cheaper but very effective gps by thompon has this facility on his thompson gps, plus voice warning of the speed limit you are about to enter followed by a further voice announce when you leave this area etc.

secondly i have noticed that the gps display of vehicle speed is 6 km lower than i am actually traveling at and this concerns me with the overall settings for the bell warnings of excess speed etc. can this be calibrated in anyway to correct the problem.

also i understand that the go comes with pre installed safety cameras. i assume that i will be warned of also mobile camera positions? is this correct or should i purchase the yearly camera update.? and if so what would this give me over and above the pre installed package?

also i am unable to use the blue tooth facility? my phone is on the list of phones that can be used and i have activated the bluetooth connection on the phone and it has found my go and paired with it, but when a ask go to search for my phone it displays that there are no phones found? and asks to make sure that i have enabled the bluetooth on the phone which has been done?

any help to any of these questions would be most welcome. i have tried tom tom support but all they do is refer me back to computer gererated standard questions/ answers, done of which cover my problems

regards figero:(:(

Because you are located in Europe, I could suggest you obtain a subscription (less than 20 pounds/yr) from the site pocketgpsworld.com located in the UK. Their speed camera set is much superior to any offered by TT and the audio warnings are much more sophisticated. The link is here

Oh, the gps speed IS accurate, it is your speedometer that shows the excessive km/hr. Trust me.

Oh, the gps speed IS accurate, it is your speedometer that shows the excessive km/hr. Trust me.

Absolutely true! The last policeman that pulled me over told me I was doing 128km/h in a 100 zone and, Tomtom agreed with him exactly! :D

With my car, when I have my summer tires, it's almost right on the money, but my motorcycle (Suzuki) is displaying about 10% higher than real speed. I checked with other Suzuki and it seems to be pretty much consistent across the brand..

Last edited:
Because you are located in Europe, I could suggest you obtain a subscription (less than 20 pounds/yr) from the site pocketgpsworld.com located in the UK. Their speed camera set is much superior to any offered by TT and the audio warnings are much more sophisticated. The link is here

thanks for the information both of you. i must admit that i am supprised that my speedo is 6km/HR low as this is a newish vehicle, but that aside, i will trust your quote that the gps IS showing the speed acurately.

but you do promise thats correct yeah! (joking guys)

actually i thought that gps in general was not 100% acurate when it came to pinpointing exactly where you were and that there was room for error and assumed that this would also go for the actual speed you were traveling but you guys obviously know your stuff so you have my confidence.

what puzzles me though is that if gps is that acurate, why do i end up traveling 100/200m into a new speed limit before the screen decides to display the new speed zone and give me a bleep if i am still over that limit?

i will check out the web site on the camera issue, and note that it is based in the uk, however i live iv southern france now so do you think it will still be worth looking at this site for coverage of france?

thanks for you replies kind regards bob

Default speeds are imbedded in the specific map in use and are not 100% dead on accurate. So, you may indeed travel 100 m into a different speed area before the map data reflects it and you see the values on your gps.

I noticed no one answered your bluetooth question:

also i am unable to use the blue tooth facility? my phone is on the list of phones that can be used and i have activated the bluetooth connection on the phone and it has found my go and paired with it, but when a ask go to search for my phone it displays that there are no phones found? and asks to make sure that i have enabled the bluetooth on the phone which has been done?

Tomtom needs to be the one initiating the pairing for the Bluetooth to work properly. Delete the Tomtom's connection from your phone, turn on the phone's "discoverable" mode, then have the Tomtom search for the phone.

thanks for the reply regarding the bluetooth connection, i will do as you have mentioned and hopefully that will do the trick

regards bob

thanks for the reply regarding the bluetooth connection, i will do as you have mentioned and hopefully that will do the trick

regards bob

Got my 630 last night and had the exact same issue as you with the bluetooth. After about 30 minutes of frustration I finally did exactly as described above and now it works fine. If only I would've found this forum earlier!

Well it looks like I spoke to soon. I had the Bluetooth working last night, even made a couple of calls. Now the GPS says it's not connected but my phone shows that it is. I deleted the phone, set it up again, and still no luck.

Pretty frustrating experience thus far with the TomTom.

There's a bug in the latest app where bluetooth calls crash after a day or two. Do a pin reset to revive the Tomtom.

If frequent pin resetting becomes too inconvenient, you could downgrade to app 8.302 which doesn't have this bluetooth bug. To downgrade, use winrar to extract the contents of this file onto your tomtom, saying yes to overwriting files when prompted.

The biggest loss of a downgrade is that the FM transmitter will no longer transmit spoken directions.

There's a bug in the latest app where bluetooth calls crash after a day or two. Do a pin reset to revive the Tomtom.

If frequent pin resetting becomes too inconvenient, you could downgrade to app 8.302 which doesn't have this bluetooth bug. To downgrade, use winrar to extract the contents of this file onto your tomtom, saying yes to overwriting files when prompted.

The biggest loss of a downgrade is that the FM transmitter will no longer transmit spoken directions.

Other than the FM transmitter, are their any other issues to downgrading? Like the last poster, I to am having bluetooth loss of connection issues. That's not too frequent, but with my 630, I don't hear the other line ringing and when connected, I get a loud beep, like it's being recorded, every 20 to 30 seconds or so. Will downgrading fix this? The 630 is like the 730 but without the FM transmitter I believe. Thx!

Do an Explorer backup of your unit's contents now. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Then, if you wish, do the downgrade. If the bluetooth problem is no better, you can always get back to the current status by using Explorer to restore the backup.

OK, just got off the phone with customer support after 35 minutes on hold. I discussed this issue and your proposed fix and they just gave me a nice CYA answer, saying the solution may work for some people but since my phone is not on their "list" then they cannot guarantee anything, even though I've had it working twice. Because of this, and because some people would likely screw things up by not backing up their unit correctly, they recommend not doing it. They suggested waiting for another update since it seems to be a common complaint and hopefully will get addressed in a future update. I may try the fix, but honestly don't need the bluetooth since I use a headset. It's a nice feature to use when working with the GPS, but I may just wait it out.

Ask a Question