Newbee Requires HELP!

Hello,
I have a broken TT Go 730. Having paid alot of money for it 18months ago i really would like to try and fix it and hoping someone can help.
SYMPTONS:
It initially started getting slower and slower to load or do anything and it has finally just stopped! When i plug it into my computer i can hear the usb "dung dung" connect but i can not see anything under "my computer" on the pc. ( I can if i put an SD card into it). This is a far as it will go. Having read many other forums and have run out of options. I have tried hard resets.etc with no luck. I have not backed anything up historically so i am stuffed on that front. Don't get me wrong i have not idea what is wrong with it, but i "feel" as if the firmware is corrupt on the internal memory. Is there anyway i can load up a firmware from an SD card. Somehow run a slef extracting file to the memory? I would be happy enough to have it working of an SD card. I just want the bloody thing to work!!! Any advice or directions would be greatly appreciated!!
Scott

Scott, can you confirm whether you have a back up or not, secondly have you ever updated your map by using TomTom Home with your computer?

Without either of the above its going to cost you the purchase price of a new map to get the device working fully, you will also need a decent quality SD or SDHC memory card to put everthing on to. I would suggest for just mapping 4GB is enough, if you want to use the mp3 player then consider 8 or even 16GB, the device will work with anything up to and including 32GB in capacity.
A quick word about the speed of a memory card though, don't get the cheapest available as they can prove to be too slow, Class 6 will be fine for use in a TomTom - Mike

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, i stupidly do NOT have a back up and have never used "Home" to update any maps or firmware.
Are you suggesting that the Internal memory is shot and i will have to run on a sd card in future?

I am concerned that if i buy the maps etc i will discover that it is hard ware issue and i will be out of pocker.

Is there anyway to "flash" the intrnal memory from the SD card?
Scott

To be clear, Scott....

If you do a pin reset on the unit and then connect to the computer, is the unit recognized as an external drive by Windows?

Plug the tom tom into your computer with the USB cord. Perform a soft reset by pressing the pin hole reset or by holding the power button down for 30 to 40 seconds. It sounds like the device needs an update to the latest version of the software. In order to do this you will need to install tom tom home. There is a free download of tom tom home offered on the website. It's on the home page under "quick links" and titled "tomtom home".

Once you have tom tom home installed, it will automatically scan for updates. If you see an update titled "Tom tom application", your going to want to install it by selecting "Update and Install". If for some reason in the process you have lost the map on the device. Contact customer support and I'm sure they'd be happy to look into the map related issue. The device operating slowly indicates a problem within the software and likely just needs an update. If it will not connect at this computer, try another one. Also try plugging the USB into the ports on the back of the computer tower not the front.

Ask a Question