Newbee Mess-up

TomTom Model(s)
140S
Well, I messed up big time. I just bought a TT 140S (that's not the mess up) and updated it without making a backup (I should have read this forum first) and now the TT locks up on the startup screen. I've removed the application and renamed the download folder to downloadold and redownloaded the application and I still have the same problem.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks for the help ahead of time !!!!!

Connect the device to the PC and use Windows Explorer to view the contents of the memory, is there a Map folder on the device? something like North_America or a region name, if so right click it and select "Properties" what is the reported folder size - if the maps still intact it should be possible to recover the device - Mike

Thanks for the quick reply Mike.
There's a folder labeled "USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P" and it's 1.63 GB.
Is that a good thing?
Everytime TTHome checks for updates it says my TT is updated.

Lets try resetting the the device first, if its got a reset switch on the base of the device give it a prod wih a paperclip/ pin if there is no reset switch press and hold the on/ off button until the device plays a drum roll and restarts - whats does it do now? - Mike

To reset I have to hold down the power button for about 10 seconds. The TT goes to a green screen and then shuts down. On startup it goes through the drum roll screen and then hangs up on the IQ Routes screen.

Removing app and updating app didn't fix the problem.
Using the ClearFlash didn't fix the problem.
When manually coping the files from the TT to my computer so I could do a reformat the file copy stopped at copying the "cline.dat" file under the "USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P" folder because it's corrupted. There are also some files in the root that seem to have corrupted names.

Man..... this is ugly.

Yes, I did that. It didn't like the "cline.dat" file when I tried copying the whole bunch and it didn't like it when I tried copying it by itself. Other folders copied by themselves just nicely. It didn't like copying the corrupted name files either. :confused::(:mad::eek:

Look for posts by SuperMods, mikealder or mvl, in particular. They may have some tricks left up their sleeves.

I suspect you disconnected the unit improperly before all data was written to the flash drive. And this could easily have corrupted data. The corrupted files aren't the issue, the cline.dat file is. It's necessary to get that one recovered or replaced by the same file from the exact same map to get your map functional.

You could also try Start-->Run-->cmd

and in the box that opens type chkdsk /f x:\ where x: is the drive shown in Explorer for the TomTom (note the space after the 'k' in chkdsk)

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it. I'll do some searching as you suggested.

Just a note: as far as I know, I didn't disconnect during updating. It appeared to complete its update.
Maybe I disconnected improperly after that?????

Anyhow, just to vent a little bit to no one in particular...... if these TT's are this fickle, TT engineering needs to spend some serious effort into making these guys more bullet proof. I see a number of posts of people having the same problem. To me, this has put a serious damper on spreading the good news of TT.

Ok, now I feel a little better. But I won't feel good until this 140S is back on line.

Again, thanks for your help. Any additional help from anybody will be greatly appreciated.

I ran chkdsk and it found a bunch of errors.
It corrected errors in the FAT directory.
There's a bunch of bad links and lost chain cross linked at cluster messages.
It's asking if I want to convert lost chains to files.
Anybody know?

NO! Don't do the conversion. It thinks .chk files are lost chains. In the windows world, they are. But in the linux world, they are not.

I said no to the converting lost chains to files.
Now the TT goes past the startup screen and says "no map found". It also shuts down properly.

Anybody know what to do next? Should I have done the "lost chain converting to files" that the chkdsk wanted to do????

Ok, I'll give it a try.
THANKS, EVERYONE, FOR NOT GIVING UP ON ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I won't be able to try your suggestions until about 10 hours from now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ok, I think I've got the problem solved...... I took the 140S back to the store for an exchange.

The new 140S is now on the charger for a couple of hours.
Then I'm planning to do a backup.
I read the one person's post on what order to do everything before trying a map update.
Any other tips ??????

I really appreciate the help I found in this forum !!!!! Thanks !!!!!!

1/ Windows Explorer backup

2/ Update TomTom Home

3/ Use a new/ different e-mail address to register you replacement device

4/ Update Navcore on device to latest standard

5/ Use Latest Map Gaurantee withing thirty days of purchase (you can only use it once)

6/ Make another full backup of the device in addition to the one you made at step 1 - Mike

Thanks Mike.

Very concise.

I was wondering about if I needed to use another email address and you answered that !

I might start enjoying this TT stuff after all............. if I don't run in to any more snags. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question