TT One 2nd Edition -help!

TomTom Model(s)
One 2nd Edition
Whilst away from home late at night a couple of weeks ago, our TT just wouldn't pick up a signal. It had also lost all my Favourites so we were unable to find our way back to our B&B. After driving around for a while it eventually picked up a signal - but still no Favourites. We were able to input the postcode for our B&B and got back safely. Since then TT hasn't had a GPS signal at all. When I switch it on it either freezes (and won't even switch off) or it just loops for a while and then freezes. I've connected it to the PC but sometimes the software doesn't think it's connected. I've tried resetting but without any luck.

I've had the device for 5 years and the same thing happened whilst it was still under warranty and it was eventually taken back to the factory to be repaired. It has been temperamental ever since about picking up the GPS signal often taking several switchings off/on over quite a while before working.

Oh, and one other thing, in one of it's lighter moments it informs me that No Maps Found. :mmph:

I'd really appreciate any help.:)

Before I found your forum I put the same question on another TT forum. They also advised making an Explorer back up, which I'm just doing. Then they've told me to format the internal storage. Is that the same as getting rid of the loose files?:confused:

Formatting will get rid of everything, not just the loose files. That's why the backup FIRST is mandatory.

(It may have been me on the other forum :D )

If backing up, formatting and restoring does not fix the problem, then try the backup, deleting loose files, connecting to Home method

Well the format's completed but when I follow the steps for reinstalling from TT Home there are no postcodes or maps. :confused:

Put the original folders for your maps and postcodes back onto the unit from your backup (do it just by copy and pasting using Win Explorer)

The map folder will be called "Western Europe" or "Great Britain and Ireland" or something similar, and the postcodes folder will be called "zip"

I've copied the two folders over but when I go to TT Home it still says No maps found! The postcodes folder is there and when I look at the device drive on my pc without using Home it has the map file on it. :confused:

Last edited:
Please ignore TomTom Home for the moment, just concentrate on the TomTom itself.

What dhn meant by removing the "loose" files from the unit, is to use Windows Explorer to remove all the FILES that are not in any FOLDER, but leave all the FOLDERS alone. That removes JUST the operating system files (the Navcore program) and you can then use Home or manual methods to replace them again.

However, that is the normal first step that we suggest people try, BEFORE formatting the unit. As you have already done that format, it has now become pointless.

So, lets try to get back to a known position.
If you put the entire backup back onto the TomTom (using copy and paste), do you get back to how you were originally? (i.e. with usable maps but no GPS position).

Trying it now.

Done it and it's still saying No maps found on the device.:sad:

Last edited:
Just to confirm... this was a backup you made before you started messing about with formats etc?

If you look at the TomTom with Windows Explorer now, do you see anything which looks like a map folder (i.e. a folder called "Western Europe", "Europe", "UK", "Great Britain"... anything like that?)

Just to confirm... this was a backup you made before you started messing about with formats etc?

Correct.

If you look at the TomTom with Windows Explorer now, do you see anything which looks like a map folder (i.e. a folder called "Western Europe", "Europe", "UK", "Great Britain"... anything like that?)

Yes, it's there.

OK. Try running the "Clear Flash" utility.

Download from TT website here

Should run as a self-extracting archive and do this while it's installing...

ClearFlash_install_1.jpg

ClearFlash_install_2.jpg

ClearFlash_install_3.jpg

(I only made those screenshots today, because it didn't seem to be auto-extracting properly for another user on the forums).

When you actually run it (clicking on the arrow bottom right several times), don't expect much to happen visibly.
Try running the whole thing three times, one after the other.

Will do, but I did this yesterday before backing up and formatting.

tomtom.jpg

This is a screenshot of a couple of dialogue boxes which popped up after the first running

Sorry, I didn't say that I ran clear flash 3 times but TT is still saying No maps found.

Ask a Question