TT Go Live 1005 Memory issue

Hi all, first post so be gentle!

I bought a Go Live 1005 a couple of days ago and have been getting to grips with it as best I can.

I know that its got 4GB of on-board storage, but I plugged the device and updated as per instructions using MyTomTom and after it updated the Europe Map I have 140mb of space left.

Without TomTom Home usage, I can't actually see whats using all the memory up, so I wondered if anyone has similar experience or can shed any light on what's going on?

Thanks in advance

JB

To give you an idea of what's on there, I looked at what is on my Go950 and scaled it up a bit for the new system...

The map uses up about 2-3GB (depending on your region).
Each text to speech voice uses up about 50MB and all the normal voices together will probably be the same again.
Then there's the operating system itself - that will be another 40-50MB or more.
Postcode data - ~10MB
Speech recognition files - 25MB
The raster images when you zoom right out - 40MB
The "Help Me" section text files - 10MB
Sounds - 5-10 MB

It all adds up!
Add to that that it seems your "4GB" is actually only about 3.7-3.8GB of usable space (That's what I noticed last time I connected, but I'm having troubles logging in at the moment, so can't double-check).

-----------------

One way to get a bit more info, is to use MyTomTom.

Run the MyTomTom program,
Click on the icon in the system tray next to the PC clock
Click on MyTomTom
A browser window will open up - The MyTomTom website,

Now, click on the green box top right and select "Manage content"

That should give you a pair of bars showing free and used space.

If the OP has the 'full' Europe map (likely on a 4GB unit), and if you dial up a 1005, the 875 map is a whopping 3001.3 MB (per TomTom) at the moment! Goes a long way towards explaining the usage.

Ah that would probably explain it then - for some reason I thought there was more free space before I downloaded the latest map, but it was probably my imagination!

Thanks for the information and the assistance!

Footie... to avoid "hijacking" jimmy's topic, I've moved your question about the Go950 vs. the Go1000 out into it's own topic and replied there.

You can find it here...
Compare the Go950 and Go1000

Ask a Question