TT Go 730 lost voice [Resolved]

Status
Not open for further replies.
TomTom Model(s)
Go 730
I have bought an SDHC card and then added a computer voice to it as well as some photos and music but now although it will play music it won't seemingly play instructions and I have no idea why not.
Can someone please help me as I am very confused by this?
Cheers, Paul

What computer voice do you have installed? When you look at the contents of the sdhc card with Explorer, do you see aLoquendoTTS folder there AND a LoquendoTTS folder on the internal storage of the unit? There should just be one LoquendoTTS folder (preferably on internal).

And, what computer voice have you selected in Voice Preferences?

Computer voice

I selected Kate as the computer voice which I have now saved to the computer in manage my device and then removed it from the device and the old voices seem to work again.
There is a folder called LoquendoTTS on the F: drive which is the drive for the SDHC card and there is also a folder called LoquendoTTS on the G: drive which is the drive on my pc for the device.
In the folder called LoquendoTTS on the G drive there is a folder called bin and lib and two files called default7.session and licencecode7.txt but in the folder called LoquendoTTS on the F drive there isn't a folder called lib but everything else the same.
I hope this makes sense as I don't know what all these mean.
Cheers for your help, Paul

It means you have that folder in 2 locations. It may have been that you were a victim of a known bug in Home where, despite your selecting one storage location (sdhc or internal), Home will install in both or the other one instead. Not always will it do so but many have had the unfortunate experience....

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd first make an Explorer, not Home backup of both the external sdhc contents to one folder on the pc and another backup of internal contents to a different folder on the pc.

I'd then use Explorer and DELETE both LoquendoTTS folders.

I'd then insert the card into the unit, select INTERNAL when asked by Home when you connect and download Kate again using Home's Add Voices-->Computer Voices.

Backup

Thanks Dhn.
The last time I made a backup I saved the backup to a folder on my computer rather than through Home. If I make another backup do I delete the older one?
I have tried to choose a different computer voice but unfortunately still no joy.
Are these LoquendoTTS folders just in relation to the computer voices as I wouldn't want to delete these folders if they have something else in them.

You can download other computer voices if you wish and, yes, Loquendo TTS only contains sub-folders and files that relate to the computer voices.

You can have as many different backups as you want on your computer. A good idea to name the backup folder something meaningful, like a date or map version. Stuff like that.

Backup

I have backed up everything as suggested and removed the computer voice but I am not sure what to do now.
I am thinking of putting everything onto the SDHC card which is a 4GB Sandisk Extreme card but not sure that the computer voice would still work?
Do I delete everything from the G: drive, i.e. the drive on my pc containing all files on the satnav?
Cheers,
Paul
P.S. Do I need to configure the SDHC card?

You should not have to configure the sdhc card. I would move the specific map folder to the card using Explorer. I would connect to Home and select INTERNAL (may be referred to as DEVICE) when Home asks what you want to use. I would then ADD Voices-->Computer Voices and select the ones you want and have Home install on INTERNAL.

How do I know that it'll work with the map on the card and the voices on internal?? Because that is the way I'm set up! :)

(Have I ever lied to you before:D )

There is one slight issue with having the LoquendoTTS folder on the SDHC and the Navcore on the device, when you next update the Navcore the LoquendoTTS files supplied with the Navcore update:

LoquendoTTS/bin/LTTS7AudioBoard.so
LoquendoTTS/lib/LoqAudioBoard.so

Will be put on in the internal Flash memory and not in with the other Loquendo files on the memory card, result your TTS voices will disapear again! - simple to fix though just move the two files to the correct sub folders on the SDHC then delete the LoquendoTTS folder on the main memory in the device that Home will have recreated as part of a Navcore install/ update - Mike

Map folders

I have always been confused by the folders on my device when it comes to maps as I have two folders.
One called Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB and the other called Western_Central_Europe_2GB.
In the folder called Western_Central_Europe_2GB it only has 3 files, called map14483-1.gif, map14483.gif and Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.toc which I am not sure whether they should be there or moved over to the folder called Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB where everything else is?
I have cut and pasted both of these from the G: drive, i.e. Internal drive to the F: drive, i.e. Memory Card.

Thank you for your advice but your advice on what to do with these two map folders would be appreciated too.

Cheers, Paul

Paul, I would remove the folder that contains the two gif and one toc file as these are not required by the device at all, these files are used by Home during the map install and shouldn't be on the device at all - Mike

Navcore

Hi Mike,
Sorry I am confused again, what is Navcore and when does this get updated?
I am currently in the process of moving the two map folders to the SDHC card but nothing more and I didn't think the map folder also had the Loquendo folder in it so will I have any problems with the Loquendo folder?
Many thanks for your advice. Paul

Navcore is the software running on the device, TomTom sometimes provide updates to this software which can be istalled using Home or WinRar (if you don't trust Home), these updates are often to fix bugs, sometimes they introduce new bugs, once or twice thay have caused major problems with some devices.

Just put the maps on the memory card and leave everything else on the built in memory, this is an easy way to operate without all the complications of duplicate folders on both storage media - Mike

Maps

Thanks for all your advice guys.
I have just found another map folder on my device called Maps with one file in it called Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.tlv
Does this need to be on the SDHC card too for the maps to work properly or can it just be left on the device?

You could move that to the sdhc card. Actually, it's just a description file of what the contents are of the real specific map (Western_Europe) contains.

In other words, on the card you would have 2 folders:
  • Western_Europe
  • maps

and on internal you would have everything else.

Maps

Thanks dhn.
As I have said I am still confused over the two folders for maps called Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB and Western_Central_Europe_2GB.
In the folder called Western_Central_Europe_2GB it only has 3 files, called map14483-1.gif, map14483.gif and Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.toc which I am not sure whether they should be there or moved over to the folder called Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB where everything else is?
I have cut and pasted both of these from the G: drive, i.e. Internal drive to the F: drive, i.e. Memory Card.

Should I have both of these folders or move things to one of them and then just have two folders, one called Maps with the tlv file and the other.

Cheers, Paul

Update

When I put my TT on the dock and it wants to update which it seemingly does everytime I put it on the dock and connect it to the computer should I update to the SDHC card now that the maps are on there or the internal memory?

The Western_Central Europe is, to my understanding, what the specific map folder was called in an earlier version of the map. There is nothing within that folder to make that a functional map now.

The Western_AND_Central_Europe is the new map name. It's the one you want. I would NOT try to merge files from the AND map folder with it.

If you connect to Home, manage my device, items on my unit, items on my computer.... what does Home show in the Map category for each?

I have my map on a sdhc card as well. When I connect to Home, I select the card and let Home update. I then use Home's menu to switch device to internal and select update one more time.

I have my map on a sdhc card as well. When I connect to Home, I select the card and let Home update. I then use Home's menu to switch device to internal and select update one more time.
I do that, too, but it seems like it's been a long time since it bought me anything. A whole bunch of versions of TTHome ago, it seemed that this would cause Home to look separately at the memory areas and decide what each needed. These days, it seems like Home takes everything into account, and no matter what I select, after reading my entire unit, it always finds what needs updated on a single pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question