730 Go Lost voice

TomTom Model(s)
730 Go
Hi

Just wondering if anyone else has had the problem of the device losing its voice? Switched it on today for the first time in a week or so and there is no sound coming out. Tried turning volume up and down but nothing.

Last week I has a problem with the device receiving calls via bluetooth when nobody who called me could hear me but I could hear them!

Thanks

And is the battery fully charged in the unit? Loss of voice is often one of the first symptoms of a low battery.

And is the battery fully charged in the unit? Loss of voice is often one of the first symptoms of a low battery.

I believe it is but will stick it on charge again. The base unit charges it doesn't it? Its never done this before at all even on low battery.

Check these as well:

Preferences....you DO see an icon that says Turn OFF sound and speaker preferences IS set to Internal speaker?

Check these as well:

Preferences....you DO see an icon that says Turn OFF sound and speaker preferences IS set to Internal speaker?

Yes I see the icon that says TURN OFF and speaker preferences IS set to internal speaker. :(

Well, you will lose all custom settings but you could try to return to factory defaults.

Connect to TomTom Go and try and install another voice. It should show if there is any already on the device.

Connect to TomTom Go and try and install another voice. It should show if there is any already on the device.

Downloaded another voice (Peter Levy - Human voice) but still nothing. Even when I go to the voice selection and press test to hear them on the device there is no sound! This is becoming very frustrating!

Do the pin reset. After it starts up, do you hear the Tomtom drums? This would at least mean the speaker's not broken.

If you hear the drums, then it's likely a software issue. You've tried everything else, last thing I would recommend is reinstalling computer voices and the app through these steps:

1) backup per this link
2) on the tomtom drive, delete the loquendo folder
3) on your computer, delete the mydocuments\tomtom\home\download\complete\computervoice folder
4) reinstall the app per this link
5) go to "add voices" in tomtom home and reinstall the computer voice you plan to use

Is the unit under warranty?

Nope! :(
Do the pin reset. After it starts up, do you hear the Tomtom drums? This would at least mean the speaker's not broken.

If you hear the drums, then it's likely a software issue. You've tried everything else, last thing I would recommend is reinstalling computer voices and the app through these steps:

1) backup per this link
3) on your computer, delete the mydocuments\tomtom\home\download\complete\computervoice folder
5) go to "add voices" in tomtom home and reinstall the computer voice you plan to use

After I have done the pin reset there are no TomTom drums at start up.

Will give it a shot now and see what happens.

Thanks everyone. Happy New Year by the way!

If you did not hear the drum rolls after a pin reset as mvl points out, then it does seem to be a hardware problem

Since it is out of warranty, if you are handy with delving inside of electronic stuff (I am NOT) I wonder whether looking at this link:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...730-920-930-battery-replacement-tutorial.html

will assist you in seeing what the innards of the device look like and whether a connection to the speaker is loose or something.

Is the unit under warranty?

1) backup per this link

No joy chaps!

I don't have the 730, but mine recently lost my voice as well. I tried everything, what all the common FAQs said on tomtom.com. To make a long story short, when I restored the application to the previous version I had backed up, the voice stayed. I think something happened to the voice with the newest version.

Unfortunately I didn't make a back up

Not sure what to do now. Had a look at some repair sites and am looking at ?60!

Try setting the speaker preferences to FM Out for both the nav instructions and the mp3 player, take the unit to the car and tune the radio to the same frequency as the TomTom is set to use for the output, set an mp3 track playing on the TomTopm and can you hear anything through the car stereo?

This should show up whether the speaker in the TomTom is shot or if its something else - Mike

I have 930 and I lost the voice. None of the fix work, tom tom did not help me (out of warranty). but I found out if I change the setting from car radio to speaker and back several time the speaker show mute ,un mute it. Worked for lasted 5 mounts .hope it work for you.

Ask a Question