TT 3rd ed-connecting to computer problem?

TomTom Model(s)
TT 3rd
I just purchased a TT3, it seems to work fine, but when I went to my computer to back it up, the computer seemed fine, and, according to my home computer, the back-up seems to have worked, but the screen on the tt unit had a picture of the TT unit with a hand on the USB cable with a flashing disc icon in the left hand corner. This stays on the unit no matter how long it is connected, if I try to go to map share, my computer tells me to tap the screen, I do, but the screen on the unit does not change. (I was on the phone for 45 minutes today with TT, and the screen would not change). If the unit is not hooked up to the computer, it appears to work fine. Anyone have this problem?

I called TT and oneof the techs said the problem is a software problem because my home computer is Windows XP professional edition and it is a compatability issue. I am not a computer whiz, but the TT service reps on the three phone calls I made gave differing answers, including that the unit is supposed to keep saying 'please wait".
I find this hard to believe.

(At least I do not have the "white screen problem!)

Last edited:
When you say, "My Computer" to back it up, do you mean the module on your PC called, "My Computer"?

To backup and update you should be using the free software called, "TomTom Home". You can get it here:
http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=17

Once that software is installed on your PC, you can get updates, backup (always a good thing to do AND DO IT FIRST), and delete some things you may not need. If you have TomTom Home on your Sys tray (lower right corner of screen) it will automatically launch when you plug in your TT via the usb cable. This software has a pulldown to disconnect you TT under 'Device'.

BTW, I'm using WinXP and it works fine... no compatiblity issues.

Let me clarify:

I backed it on TomTom home.

During this process, and when I went to map share, the screen on the TT unit never changed, it stayed on the "please wait screen".

My question is, what should I see on the screen of the TT unit while it is hooked up to my computer via a USB cable?

The only thing I see on the screen is the above message. On my computer monitor, it seems fine.

This is what should happen:

When you connect the TomTom via the USB cable, first you get a screen asking "Do you want to connect to 'Computer'". Press 'Yes' and you get a screen showing the image of a TomTom with the USB cord attached. A flashing message will say 'Please wait'. Soon, the Home program will load on your computer, and the flashing message on the TomTom will go away. You are now connected.

Ask a Question