trying to hit "H" i get a "G"

Hi all,

i have a TT ONE (4N00.001) and it seems that the screen registers the wrong letter. When trying to input an address, when I try to hit the letter "H" I seem to get "G" all the time. Also, trying to hit "P" I get a "O" registered.

Is there a way to fix this or is this a throw away item now?

It would seem to be a waste as everything else works and that I paid a lot of money for this item when it came out (years ago)...

Please help.

Thanks,
B

There is a very detailed explanation about calibrating the screen in this link if you want to give it a shot.

Have you tried a reset on the unit first, though?

hi mate,
thanks for the reply.
I will look at the link but I had a question re the reset.
If I do a system reset, do I lose the POIs , sounds, red light camera information that I have added in?

More importantly, will I lose my maps?

I did an upgrade a few years ago, and bought a new version of the map but I have lost the CD it came on so I am reluctant to do a reset if it means I will lose info!!!

You don't say which model ONE you have, but regardless of whether it's the pin reset in the small hole below, or the long holding of the power button, neither of these resets will disturb your configuration, settings, etc.

for the record it is a TT One the fist of the series.
I know, I know it was bought a long time ago but then I paid a lot of $$$ for it in those days.
Plus that aside from this little issue, it works fine.

As far as the pin reset and the long hold of the power button, I have done both and no it has not lost my POIs or maps but I was more thinking about the factory reset option in the preferences section.

Does doing that wipe out the installed map of Australia? Does it wipe out my installed school zones, and additional voices?

Cheers for your help.

You will lose your favorites, recent destinations, time zone, special settings (e.g., toll preferences, routing preferences, etc.) but not your map nor any custom POI data you may have entered.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your responses so far. I have done the factory reset, it did not help with the screen calibration at all.
I tried to follow the link supplied (about the screen calibration) and no matter what numbers I input into the calib.txt file, I can not access the right most keys as they are offset by a lot.

I tried the suggested method of trying to find the screen centre and to see how far my screen has slipped. With a PDA pointing tool, I can see that from about the number 3 onwards, my numbers are skewed. The number 4 does not register until I am about halfway onto the number 5 button. This amount of screen offset only gets worse as you move the pointer right. So musch that by the time the unit registers a 9 I am at the right most side of the screen and therefore never get a chance to input the zero on the righthand side. No wonder I can not input the letter "H".

Anyone have any other ideas before I break this stupid unit?

NB - on the weekend i saw a cheapie GPS unit made in china that a friend had, and on this unit in the settings menu, there is a screen calibration routine built in. Why could'nt TomTom provided that????

Have you tried running a business card around the edge of the screen under the bezel? Dirt may be stuck there.

Ask a Question