Transferring to SD from device

anh

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live 825, One XL
Hi, another newbie on board,

I have a TT One XL GB & Europe and having just updated the device via my laptop, I followed the link at the top of the screen regarding map updates ( effectively ?7.95 a quarter ). It told me I was overdue with some and I could pay for the next 4. No problem there BUT, there is only about 18 MB of free space on my TT.

Not knowing how much space is needed for the updates etc, can I back up my device and then install all the info onto an SD card, then have each future update put through onto the card?

If yes, I would be grateful for idiot proof guidance please.

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

I don't see a model specifically called what you say you have (One XL GB & Europe) so I'm not sure how much internal space you have. Look at your unit's contents with Explorer to see whether it shows (just about) 1 gig or, more likely (just about) 2 gigs.

Further, with so many models out there, can you run your unit with stuff on internal AND on a sdhc card at the same time? I don't think so, but am not sure.

In any event, you can copy your existing map folder from internal to your computer, make SURE the folder did get copied, and then delete it from internal. That should allow enough space for a map update on internal.

Not knowing how much space is needed for the updates etc, can I back up my device and then install all the info onto an SD card, then have each future update put through onto the card?
As dhn said, make a complete backup of your device and SD card to your computer and make sure your Windows Explorer is set to display hidden files..
I don't know either if your 18 MB will be big enough for the updates of a quarterly map.
Please note that you are not actually downloading the changes from the previous map, the upgrade replaces your current map.
That alone is reason to make a back up before and after an upgrade. Before, in case there is a transmission problem and after to have a clean set available in case you device develops problems.

To start your (4 times) quarterly subscription you first have to bring your map up to the current status (pay full price for a current map and then 3 months later the updates start).

The One XL Europe device is fitted with 1GB of internal flash memory and it has an SD card slot, this device can only use the inbuilt Flash memory OR the SD card it cannot share memory locations while in use.

The easy option is to fit a 2GB SD card, don't go any larger than that as it isn't capably of using the SDHC type of memory cards. You must copy everything from the internal memory to the PC then to the storage card.

I happen to have one of these units on at the PC station so I have just been updating it to see what happens, with the latest Navcore installed it is showing 942MB of spare space (with the old map deleted), I am currently copying the map files to the device using Windows Explorer but its taking quite a while (I had forgotten how slow these units were).

The newer maps are getting very close to the storage limit of the original One XL units, the easy way is to fit a memory card or we look at whats on your device that isn't needed, or you install the map using Windows Explorer which avoids needing additional storage capacity during the map installation - Mike

The One XL Europe device is fitted with 1GB of internal flash memory and it has an SD card slot, this device can only use the inbuilt Flash memory OR the SD card it cannot share memory locations while in use.

The easy option is to fit a 2GB SD card, don't go any larger than that as it isn't capably of using the SDHC type of memory cards. You must copy everything from the internal memory to the PC then to the storage card.

I happen to have one of these units on at the PC station so I have just been updating it to see what happens, with the latest Navcore installed it is showing 942MB of spare space (with the old map deleted), I am currently copying the map files to the device using Windows Explorer but its taking quite a while (I had forgotten how slow these units were).

The newer maps are getting very close to the storage limit of the original One XL units, the easy way is to fit a memory card or we look at whats on your device that isn't needed, or you install the map using Windows Explorer which avoids needing additional storage capacity during the map installation - Mike

Thanks for the replies. mikealder is right that I have the One XL Europe. With everything ( original maps and cameras, updates and not much else ), loaded on the device internal memory ( nearly 1GB ), it says 18MB free space, hence why I asked if I could move/transfer everything to an SD card and run the device off that allowing room for latest map updates.

I am a complete novice when it comes to this so can you correct me if I am wrong on how I go about the transfer. Connect device to laptop and via TT Home, back up device. Then copy back up contents to SD Card and then install card into slot on device. ( is it that straight forward and do I then delete everything on device before inserting card? ). How would I go about installing/updating latest maps each quarter on card as opposed to device?

Sorry but I did say at the start guidance would need to be idiot proof, I just didn't say how big the idiot is ;o)

Do the backup to the computer using Explorer, not Home. See the instructions here if not sure:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Then use Explorer to copy the backup to the sd card. [note: keep the backup on the computer as well]. Delete the contents of internal. Now, everything is running off the card. When you insert the card into the unit and connect to Home, it may ask to select internal or card, select the sd card. So ,if you are updating the map, it should automatically go on the card.

Then make another Explorer backup to a different folder on the computer.

Do the backup to the computer using Explorer, not Home. See the instructions here if not sure:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Then use Explorer to copy the backup to the sd card. [note: keep the backup on the computer as well]. Delete the contents of internal. Now, everything is running off the card. When you insert the card into the unit and connect to Home, it may ask to select internal or card, select the sd card. So ,if you are updating the map, it should automatically go on the card.

Then make another Explorer backup to a different folder on the computer.

My thanks to you dhn......

Instructions I can understand, hopefully. I will follow the link you posted and set about the transfer. Thanks again to you all.

Thanks to everyone for the help and guidance.

Followed instructions on postings and link and it appears that I have succesfully managed to back up device and transfer everything to an SD card. Put card in and device loads up ok.

Cheers all

anh

Ask a Question