Toyota TNS410 tomtom memory card

I have just bought a Yaris T spirit with a TNS410 tomtom satnav on the tomtom site they want ?26 for a memory sd card, but can I use this memory card SDHC 4GB class 4 high speed.

Also cannot find a dedicated forum for this model or have I missed something

TomTom have a chart showing what cards they suggest for various devices here.

It has a few inaccuracies and oddities (for example they insist the largest SDHC cards you should use are 4GB, but I've never heard of anyone having problems with a decent quality SDHC card upto 32GB capacity.

It does show the Toyota TNS 410 and it says SDHC are NOT compatible with that model, so you are stuck with using "ordinary" SD cards (SDHC cards *might* work, but will be unreliable).
Ordinary SD cards are usually only available upto 2GB, but there used to be a couple of manufacturers who made a SD-compatible 4GB card,. Try a search on the web for "Topram" or "Transcend", but be careful as you are more likely to be offered their 4GB SDHC ones.

However, I see no reason why you should have to use special TT-supplied cards, the only model that mentions needing them is the "Carminat TomTom"

Hope that goes some way to helping!

P.S. You're right... there isn't a dedicated forum section for the "built-in" devices. Maybe we should create one.

Thanks for the reply, I am sure I read somewhere that the TNS410 uses the same software as the Carminat, what that means I dont know,

If you can determine the version of firmware on your 410, that would be helpful. The firmware for that product appears to span across the time when you would have been limited to 2GB SD, and into the time when >2GB SDHC cards were supported. I'd be able to check further, but for some reason, the "6141" UK support page is timing out on me at the moment (sigh).

So try your main menu, "Status and Information" and see if you can tell us. I believe that anything at level 8.840 and above will support the larger card.

Last edited:
In the Status Summary it says version 7.825, GPS v1.21

I am sending the 4GB SDHC back and get it changed to the Standard 2GB SC

Last edited:
@ canderson.. Can you see if you can find any more details of when a particular unit has been "HC-enabled" by a software update?

I hadn't heard of that happening before, and thought that what determined if you had SD or SCHC was down to the particular card reader hardware installed.

In the Status Summary it says version 7.825, GPS v1.21

I am sending the 4GB SDHC back and get it changed to the Standard 2GB SC
At that level of firmware, I sincerely doubt you'll be able to run SDHC on that unit. However (and I'm no expert on the Carminat series) there is more recent firmware available for at least some of the Carminat units that should allow for this. Check to see if version 8.842 doesn't show up for your unit if you can update it. I believe that's the latest.

None of the TomTom devices supported SDHC prior to the release of certain 8.XXX versions of firmware.

@Andy_P: The physical interface is the same for SD and SDHC. What's different is in the data that is moved between the card and whatever is reading it. The major problem is in misunderstanding of the SD/SDHC device parameters (specifically, the "block size" returned by any SD or SDHC card) by firmware that does not realize that the 128 bit ID string could contain information as is formatted for SDHC. Older firmware assumes the ID information (which contains, in essence, the card capacity) is formatted per the original SD standard instead.

AThe physical interface is the same for SD and SDHC. What's different is....

MANY THANKS for the info, much appreciated.

So that leaves us one more question... If TT could update the SD models to use SDHC, why haven't they?

After the chaos caused by the recent >2GB Europe mapping, surely it would be incredibly useful (to them!) to have as many models as possible able to use memory cards larger than 2GB.

MANY THANKS for the info, much appreciated.

So that leaves us one more question... If TT could update the SD models to use SDHC, why haven't they?
They did in some cases. For example, my old 720 was unable to manage SDHC cards properly until 8.302 firmware was released (actually, it was at 8.300, but that version only lasted a couple of months before 8.302 became the last "stable" release prior to the final stable release, 8.351). After that, we were good to go up to silly 32GB sizes. However, units whose firmware was not being updated at that point never got the benefit of that modification. Why TT didn't choose to go back and clean up that issue for other users with SD cards, I don't know. There's definitely a point where they just stopped worrying over older units.

FWIW - the original SD standard was modified to manage cards up to 4GB (I think it was called SD 1.01). However, not all manufacturers firmware supported anything larger than the original 1GB, and a few (like TT) only supported up to 2GB properly. Of some interest, the older GO units running pre-8.3XX code that fully supported read/write of 2GB cards seemed to be able to read the 4GB variant of SD successfully, but could not write to more than 2GB of address space. That was a TomTom issue since the "break" in the standard occurs at 1GB. If they could handle 2GB under 1.01, they should have been able to manage 4GB.

It was pretty messy there until the SDHC specification was completed and adopted widely. A FEW manufacturers who were caught out just as the SDHC spec was completed actually found ways for their users to update firmware to fully comply with SDHC. Some didn't (especially in the camera business), and those devices were stuck at SD read/write level firmware.

Ask a Question