Any idea who makes the Toyota Camry In-Dash GPS?

- et -

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540, GO Live 1535, GO 620
My daughter recently acquired a second-hand Toyota Camry with an in-dash GPS. I believe the model year is 2007 or 2008. Any idea who makes that unit?

Thanks in advance for the help.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Not knowing if the unit in her Camry was OEM or aftermarket, we'd just about need a photo to even guess. At one time in the period you specify, Toyota's unit was actually a Garmin Quest 2.

Not knowing if the unit in her Camry was OEM or aftermarket, we'd just about need a photo to even guess. At one time in the period you specify, Toyota's unit was actually a Garmin Quest 2.
She says that it is an OEM unit that the previous owner purchased with the car. I'll try looking on the net for images of the Garmin Quest 2, to see if it matches what hers looks like.

Thanks for the help.

I took a look at the owners manual appendix for the 2007/2008 Camry, and it appears that the only licensees listed are DENSO, NAVTEQ, and TELEATLAS.

At the time, only DENSO made navigation hardware, so my bet would be that they contributed significant components of the electronics, but I'm sure Toyota engineers had a large say in the design as well.

Usually factory installed systems in the USA are usually designed by the car's engineers, using subcontractors who supply some parts, engineering, and data.

Toyota - 2007-08 Camry & Prius IV - Same Unit?

Toyota - 2007-08 Camry & Prius IV - Same Unit?

My daughter recently acquired a second-hand Toyota Camry with an in-dash GPS. I believe the model year is 2007 or 2008. Any idea who makes that unit?

The unit that is installed in the 2007-08 Camry is probably the same as the one in the Prius IV for the same year (2008). I think, if my memory is correct on this (built in/factory installed) that the option cost about 1.5k euros. Having had the auto, (no longer driving it) I was never able to determine the hardware mfg. The unit was total integrated into the auto's electronics. Meaning that a great many of the systems (HVAC, etc.) were controlled through the touch screen menu's. This would mean that the auto makers engineers had a great deal of input into the engineering (specification), design & fabrication of the unit and that a hardware mfg. supplied some of the hardware components that went into the unit (GPS, compass, mapping, etc.). IMHO a great unit (the compass and map positioning has greater sensitivity to change in direction than current unit) w/ great documentation written & video.

Last edited:

Ask a Question